Paddock prescribed antidepressants in June, which means virtually every mass shooter....

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Theowl32, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,968
    LWNJ's want to disarm you because of that. You scare them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46,982
    Funny that you started this thread. I was just thinking about the same exact thing.

Antianxiety medicines (such as alprazolam, clonazepam, diazepam, and lorazepam) are sometimes used along with antipsychotic medicines to treat a relapse of schizophrenia. These medicines help calm you and relieve anxiety and nervousness. In high doses, they may make you sleepy.

Antianxiety medicines are sometimes used to shorten an episode of psychosis. In rare cases, taking antianxiety medicines makes psychotic symptoms worse.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,237
    First of all, diazepam is not made by Big Pharma. It is generic and inexpensive.

Secondly, he would not be having withdrawals if he received 50 pills on June 21. That means that he consumed 50 pills in 100 days, which would not cause withdrawal. In order to have withdrawal, you need chronic use. (This is assuming that he hadn't received any other prescriptions for that medicine since June 21...but I only know what you posted.)

I read an article about him, and I am thinking more and more that is sounds like schizophrenia or some other type of psychosis. Other than having a girlfriend, he was pretty much a recluse. He was not sociable with neighbors. He spent a lot of time by himself. And it sounds like most of his guns were collected over the past year. A sudden change from not being a gun owner to suddenly start collecting them is a red flag to me, that he started to have changes in his thoughts.

Lots of things can cause psychosis. Schizophrenia onset usually happens in younger people (20s), but it could happen later. Years of drinking alcohol can lead to brain damage and development of psychosis. Drugs and medications can cause it. Tumors. Other medical illnesses.

It will be interesting to see what the investigation finds.

But I don't think that this was caused by 50 tabs of diazepam.

4. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46,982
    That doesn't mean anything. Plenty of people have negative reactions to meds that may not affect others in the same way. Our metabolisms and body chemistries are different enough that these types of drugs can have untoward reactions in SOME individuals. That certainly doesn't mean that everyone who takes them will be affected in such ways. In fact, these side affects (according to the POWERS THAT BE, of course) are RARE. It is awfully coincidental that many of these mass murderers were being medicated with powerful psychotropic drugs though. It is definitely worth looking into.

5. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,968
    Spoken like a person with a vested interest in selling and prescribing DRUGS.

6. shockedcanadian

shockedcanadian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,463
    Noone is doubting that heavy use such chemicals can and do impact someone. In the case of people with psychological problems, how can we rule out the underlying condition? I avoid prescriptions and even OTC pharmaceuticals as best I can. I believe in the ability of the body to heal and balance itself.

If I had high blood pressure and my life might be in danger, I would probably have a different opinion. If I were seeing monsters and were delusional and some medication helped me to cope, I assume I would have to accept that as well compared to the alternative.

Psychological problems, a persons mental breakdown or life changing event can cause all sorts of responses. What I suppose bothers me the most is that he took so many innocent people with him. It's as if he's saying "I'm in this dark and horrible place, I'm bringing you all down with me!" it would be different if maybe he had a personal issue with someone and decided, "well my life is over, I'm gonna take this sob with me because they caused this problem for me". This wasn't the case.

We all know someone or of someone who has committed suicide. It may bother us, but at least they didn't take others with them, it was their choice. This guy was just a dirty animal and an SOB as far as I am concerned. At his age and experience in life, he knew right from wrong and he chose to go down the path to hell. He knew he was going to be gone, that's why he sent $100k to his gf.

As time goes on we will learn more.

7. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46,982
    Damn, they tell you right on the commercials that these meds can cause "suicidal ideation" and "psychosis."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,237
    I don't sell drugs. I prescribe them when needed.

9. Zander

Zander Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,968
    Bingo!

You're a drug pusher. A legal dealer.

10. Windparadox

Windparadox Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +504
    `
    `

Good thing I don't come to forums for accurate, unbiased information.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1