Paddock prescribed antidepressants in June, which means virtually every mass shooter....

He started buying weapons in October 2016. Lots of weapons from different suppliers...
Something in 2016 pissed him off.

Hmm. I'm thinking that some people are probably better off without the psychotropics. We are so dependent upon drugs. Is that the ONLY way you can feel better. What did people used to do in the old days before the days of Valium and all of these "feel good" prescription drugs? They dealt with it in other ways is what they did.

Look up aspirin's side-effects.

Every medicine has potential side-effects, but the vast majority of people that take a particular medicine never get any side-effects. Or they get some side-effects but they are minor and transient.

Yes, I know that. I know all about the side effects of meds because of my job. However, these are LISTED side effects which means they were observed during clinical trials or reported by patients. Just because it is rare doesn't mean it doesn't happen and with more and more people being medicated and sent on their way, then you can expect that there are going to be more "bad reactions" to these meds. Besides that, mass shootings are rare, so who is to say that these people didn't experience some side effects? Who would deny the possibility of that? No doctor that I know of!

Good point. There is a very good chance that he might have received a bad batch of valium back in June and the valium created a permanent psychotic transformation in his brain. In fact, I am pretty sure that's what happened now that I think about it.

Excellent call!

Hmm. I'm thinking that some people are probably better off without the psychotropics. We are so dependent upon drugs. Is that the ONLY way you can feel better. What did people used to do in the old days before the days of Valium and all of these "feel good" prescription drugs? They dealt with it in other ways is what they did.

You might be better off without the psychotropics. But many people are NOT better off without them.

I know some people with mental illness (like schizophrenia) NEED them or would have to be institutionalized, but are we better for it? I wonder.

Las Vegas Strip shooter prescribed anti-anxiety drug in June

Stephen Paddock, who killed at least 58 people and wounded hundreds more in Las Vegas on Sunday with high-powered rifles, was prescribed an anti-anxiety drug in June that can lead to aggressive behavior, the Las Vegas Review-Journal has learned.

Records from the Nevada Prescription Monitoring Program obtained Tuesday show Paddock was prescribed 50 10-milligram diazepam tablets by Henderson physician Dr. Steven Winkler on June 21.

A woman who answered the phone at Winkler’s office would not make him available to answer questions and would neither confirm nor deny that Paddock was ever a patient.

-------------

Yeap. Just about every mass killing in this country from columbine to Sandy Hook to VT to the Aurora shooter and now this.

All of them were on antidepressants or under the SSRI drugs.

We won't hear much about any of this. The pharmaceutical companies advertise on all of those great media networks, don't they?

Gun companies don't though. Get it? Oh, I am sure it may be a coincidence that all of those shooters were all on an SSRI drug.

Some others that the media sort of left out. Robin Williams was on antidepressants. So was Heath Ledger when he died. So was Chris Cornell.

No connection? It was the guns.
While this is an important thing that needs to be looked at and I don't disagree with you; "virtually every mass shooter" is a bit of a leap. Also the fact that the people on these drugs have mental problems and their underlying problems could be the main impetus not the drugs needs to be taken into account.

You can look at it three different ways:
-These people were a high risk to do this anyways and they were prescribed drugs to try and cover it up when they should have been forced into a mental health facility and removed from the public as a high safety risk.
-These people were a risk, maybe even high, and incorrect or needless medication pushed them over the edge they would not have normally crossed due to incorrect diagnosis or a poor medical professional.
-These people were low risk and their medications cause them to become high risk due to side effects that are underrated.

So to come to one immediate conclusion is wrong. You are not wrong though that side effects of drugs and over prescribing as a cure all should be looked into seriously, especially when some of these drugs have suicidal side effects.

You might be better off without the psychotropics. But many people are NOT better off without them.

I know some people with mental illness (like schizophrenia) NEED them or would have to be institutionalized, but are we better for it? I wonder.

What is this "WE" that you speak of when referring to an individual's health care plan?

What is this "WE" that you speak of when referring to an individual's health care plan?

I was talking about WE as in society. :rolleyes:

Another thing that cn happen is that drugs can trigger an underlying predisposition to schizophrenia that has been dormant.

Buying thousands of rounds of ammunition in 12 months would raise a red flag if we bothered to track ammo sales.

You don't think that WE are better off having thousands of people with mental illness in remission due to medications rather than living in institutions?

You don't think that WE are better off having thousands of people with mental illness in remission due to medications rather than living in institutions?

I'm not sure, are YOU?

Stephen Paddock, who killed at least 58 people and wounded hundreds more in Las Vegas on Sunday with high-powered rifles, was prescribed an anti-anxiety drug in June that can lead to aggressive behavior, the Las Vegas Review-Journal has learned.

Records from the Nevada Prescription Monitoring Program obtained Tuesday show Paddock was prescribed 50 10-milligram diazepam tablets by Henderson physician Dr. Steven Winkler on June 21.

A woman who answered the phone at Winkler’s office would not make him available to answer questions and would neither confirm nor deny that Paddock was ever a patient.

-------------

Yeap. Just about every mass killing in this country from columbine to Sandy Hook to VT to the Aurora shooter and now this.

We won't hear much about any of this. The pharmaceutical companies advertise on all of those great media networks, don't they?

Gun companies don't though. Get it? Oh, I am sure it may be a coincidence that all of those shooters were all on an SSRI drug.

Some others that the media sort of left out. Robin Williams was on antidepressants. So was Heath Ledger when he died. So was Chris Cornell.

Sounds good and all... except Trump is the one that made it easier for people with mental illness to get guns.

Which is kind of odd, given many gun lovers argue that the number of gun deaths is skewed by the number of people that kill themselves with a gun.

It seems as if these types of shootings really started to pick up in the 80s. I know they happened before then but were a LOT more rare. They are still fairly rare but it seems that after the 80s they started to happen more often. I wonder why that is? When did we start putting people on meds and releasing them and having this revolving door of "therapy" where they take meds for a while, stop and get sick again and then have to come back to the hospital, be restabilized on their meds for about 24 hours and then are released back into society only to end up back into the hospital after they stop their meds again?

Buying thousands of rounds of ammunition in 12 months would raise a red flag if we bothered to track ammo sales.
You are off track with this. A sane avid gun enthusiast could use thousands of rounds at the range easily without a cache of weapons. It would be to hard to track or enforce anyways. Suddenly stockpiling a ton of weapons though I can see being a red flag.

You are off track with this. A sane avid gun enthusiast could use thousands of rounds at the range easily without a cache of weapons. It would be to hard to track or enforce anyways. Suddenly stockpiling a ton of weapons though I can see being a red flag.

I didn't know until today, that law enforcement only gets a red flag if a person buys two or more of certain guns at the same time. That's why Paddock spread out his purchases.

It seems as if these types of shootings really started to pick up in the 80s. I know they happened before then but were a LOT more rare. They are still fairly rare but it seems that after the 80s they started to happen more often. I wonder why that is? When did we start putting people on meds and releasing them and having this revolving door of "therapy" where they take meds for a while, stop and get sick again and then have to come back to the hospital, be restabilized on their meds for about 24 hours and then are released back into society only to end up back into the hospital after they stop their meds again?

SSRI's are fairly new and they do have a reputation of causing crazy behavior when one does not taper off. I saw it first hand with a loved one. They decided to just 'cold turkey' on the med and they turned intolerant and angry for a while. It was not pretty I can tell you. However this evil bastard (Paddock) was supposedly on Valium which, I would think, would have the opposite effect.

Look up aspirin's side-effects.

Every medicine has potential side-effects, but the vast majority of people that take a particular medicine never get any side-effects. Or they get some side-effects but they are minor and transient.

Yes, I know that. I know all about the side effects of meds because of my job. However, these are LISTED side effects which means they were observed during clinical trials or reported by patients. Just because it is rare doesn't mean it doesn't happen and with more and more people being medicated and sent on their way, then you can expect that there are going to be more "bad reactions" to these meds. Besides that, mass shootings are rare, so who is to say that these people didn't experience some side effects? Who would deny the possibility of that? No doctor that I know of!
With 71.000 consider GETTING some medical advice rather than giving..........zzzzzzzzz

-------------

Just because he's white doesn't mean he needs a "perscribed" excuse.

Nut or not

Forum List

Back