Pacers-Pistons Brawl: Good To See Some Fans Get Their Asses Kicked

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
I'm aware there are many calling for Indiana's Ron Artest to recieve a long term suspension, but I'm glad he and others went into the stands to kick some ass. Time after time, fans have been given a free pass and a blanket amnesty for their violent actions against players (throwing batteries, beers and anything else they can get their hands on at players) and its about time somebody had enough and whooped some ass.
These fans could blind somebody one day by hitting a player in the eye or even kill someone. They are far more out of control than the players are, and until they grow the hell up or these sports leagues start doing something about them, the problem will only get much, much worse. In the real world, these idiot fans would get shot for some of the things they say and do to these players. Its a shame they get away with it 99.99% of the time.
Seeing that one idiot get nailed by Artest brought tears to my eyes, I can only hope it would be possible for Artest to break that idiot's nose, jaw and knock out a couple of teeth in one blow.

NATO AIR said:
I'm aware there are many calling for Indiana's Ron Artest to recieve a long term suspension, but I'm glad he and others went into the stands to kick some ass. Time after time, fans have been given a free pass and a blanket amnesty for their violent actions against players (throwing batteries, beers and anything else they can get their hands on at players) and its about time somebody had enough and whooped some ass.
These fans could blind somebody one day by hitting a player in the eye or even kill someone. They are far more out of control than the players are, and until they grow the hell up or these sports leagues start doing something about them, the problem will only get much, much worse. In the real world, these idiot fans would get shot for some of the things they say and do to these players. Its a shame they get away with it 99.99% of the time.
Seeing that one idiot get nailed by Artest brought tears to my eyes, I can only hope it would be possible for Artest to break that idiot's nose, jaw and knock out a couple of teeth in one blow.

I disagree NATO. Fan misbehavior should be taken care of by security, NOT by the players. Just who in the hell do they think they are taking matters like these in their own hands?

dilloduck said:
I disagree NATO. Fan misbehavior should be taken care of by security, NOT by the players. Just who in the hell do they think they are taking matters like these in their own hands?

well obviously security failed miserably, and if they were failing, then the players have the right to take matters into their own hands to defend themselves.

these idiots throwing beer cups and batteries could have ended someone's career out there by cutting their eye or something worse. not to mention, that is assualt anyway by them throwing a projectile at another person with malicious intent. the players are no different from regular citizens, they have to be allowed to defend themselves.

NATO AIR said:
well obviously security failed miserably, and if they were failing, then the players have the right to take matters into their own hands to defend themselves.

these idiots throwing beer cups and batteries could have ended someone's career out there by cutting their eye or something worse. not to mention, that is assualt anyway by them throwing a projectile at another person with malicious intent. the players are no different from regular citizens, they have to be allowed to defend themselves.

Getting hit with a cup of water justifies going into the crowd and beating the shit out of someone and causing a riot ???? He coulda chilled--found security--had the fan ejected with a LOT less danger to everyone. Security can't stop a crazy fan from throwing a cup of water but can certainly eject and charge the fan. I didn't see any players waiting for security to handle it!

dilloduck said:
Getting hit with a cup of water justifies going into the crowd and beating the shit out of someone and causing a riot ???? He coulda chilled--found security--had the fan ejected with a LOT less danger to everyone. Security can't stop a crazy fan from throwing a cup of water but can certainly eject and charge the fan. I didn't see any players waiting for security to handle it!

what we do not know is whether or not that fan had been saying things (the "n" word, things about artest's family, other pacer players, etc etc... these fans say things sailors would be ashamed of) to make the cup of water/beer the last straw... also, from the video, i saw other things being thrown (but not at artest).

personally, i think the fans should be open game. you want to say horrible things about people's families and loved ones, you should pay the penalty other people anywhere else would pay (i.e. a well-deserved ass-whupping).

we are sadly, far away from the old days when the worst thing you might hear is that a pitcher or point guard was "sorry" or "fat" or "slow".

now you have fans yelling out obscenities about player's children, wives, ethnicity, religion, etc etc. that's way beyond acceptable fan behavior.

NATO AIR said:
what we do not know is whether or not that fan had been saying things (the "n" word, things about artest's family, other pacer players, etc etc... these fans say things sailors would be ashamed of) to make the cup of water/beer the last straw... also, from the video, i saw other things being thrown (but not at artest).

personally, i think the fans should be open game. you want to say horrible things about people's families and loved ones, you should pay the penalty other people anywhere else would pay (i.e. a well-deserved ass-whupping).

we are sadly, far away from the old days when the worst thing you might hear is that a pitcher or point guard was "sorry" or "fat" or "slow".

now you have fans yelling out obscenities about player's children, wives, ethnicity, religion, etc etc. that's way beyond acceptable fan behavior.

I agree that there are some incredibly evil fans yet I maintain that it is the job of security to discipline them. That's what they are there for. If they fail, the arena managemnet/owners should be taken to task. Do you really think that if one of these players gets their feelings hurt that they should be given a pass to go beat the shit out of whoever pushed their button??

dilloduck said:
Do you really think that if one of these players gets their feelings hurt that they should be given a pass to go beat the shit out of whoever pushed their button??

yes, in some circumstances. the problem of course, there can be no "Case by case" basis for this... its zero tolerance or mayhem. the sad part though is, in many cases, this is way beyond "getting your feelings hurt". if a man made fun of my disabled child (one of the insults i've heard thrown at a player, (in this case, an NFL player, Ontario Smith), i would beat the shit out of him and anyone who got in my way on my raged path to getting a hold of him.

that's why i admire jackie robinson so much... to endure so much from so many and not crack or break or lose his temper... that is something i could never do.

NATO AIR said:
yes, in some circumstances. the problem of course, there can be no "Case by case" basis for this... its zero tolerance or mayhem. the sad part though is, in many cases, this is way beyond "getting your feelings hurt". if a man made fun of my disabled child (one of the insults i've heard thrown at a player, (in this case, an NFL player, Ontario Smith), i would beat the shit out of him and anyone who got in my way on my raged path to getting a hold of him.

that's why i admire jackie robinson so much... to endure so much from so many and not crack or break or lose his temper... that is something i could never do.

Jackie had class--our new breed of athletes tend to have an inflated ego which easily pops. They need to be held responsible for their behavior. If they wanna attack someone because they feel they have the right , then naturally they will understand when they are fined, jailed or have their careers ruined for their vigilantism.

dilloduck said:
Jackie had class--our new breed of athletes tend to have an inflated ego which easily pops. They need to be held responsible for their behavior. If they wanna attack someone because they feel they have the right , then naturally they will understand when they are fined, jailed or have their careers ruined for their vigilantism.

yea, i have no problem with them getting fined or a suspension for 10-15 games... there is always a price for taking the law into your own hands and it must be paid.

my main point i guess is, i understand and emphasize with them in most of these cases.

about 10 years ago I was at a Houston Rockets vs. Portland Trailblazers game in Portland when Mad Max ran into the stands and started pounding on a fan. I haven't been to a game since. The NBA is full of deadbeat dads, drug-addicts and thugs. I don't watch em anymore!

Jackass said:
Its almost all sports now...not just basketball. :(

True, but if you will notice, Football, which is one of the most violent sports on the field, is pretty tame when it comes to brauls. Maybe it has something to do with so many of them belonging to the Fellowship of Christian Atheletes while growing up in the game..... not just a bunch of guys from the hood.....

NATO AIR said:
The footage I saw showed Artest atacking the wrong person in the stand not the person who thew the cup at him, But who knows maybe he said something that Artest did'nt like and hurt his feelings and that gave him the right to go in the stands and beat the shit out a fan. I don't think the guy should be allowed to set foot on the court again.

NATO AIR said:

Let's put this into perspective. What went on at that game constitutes assault. There is no excuse for it. Just because it is a sporting event, doesn't mean that the rule of law is suspended.

How about this for a solution.... let's file charges against every one of the players involved with fight and the fans that we can identify. Let's throw their asses in jail just like regular people who break the law. Let's throw the f___ing bums off of the team, and cancel their contracts because that's what they are...bums who just happen to be good at basketball.

Furthermore, let's do the same with any athlete involved with drugs, assault or any illegal activity. Cancel their contracts, throw them in jail and ban them from the sport for the rest of their miserable lives.

And who cares, there are tons of kids to replace them who are more than willing to keep their noses clean (literally) and out of trouble. Let's put the fear of God back into these insolent sons of bitches. It's way past time to clean up sports and bring some sense of propriety back to the game.

Now, unlike some of you, I am not a sports fan, so I can approach this more objectively than some of you. Just because these freaking bums have multimillion dollar contract doesn't excuse their behavior. They aren't above the law. These guys are nothing more than thugs with a ball, it's time we treated them like thugs. For what they're being paid, they should be held to a much higher standard than the rest of us.

What They're Saying
from Indianapolis Star
November 21, 2004

Jay Mariotti, Chicago Sun-Times
No one was killed. But next time, someone might be. I can't be any more blunt about the escalating crisis of violence in sports, which turned frightening and ugly Friday night in one of the most chaotic scenes ever in a U.S. sports arena.

When players are throwing punches at fans, fans are throwing beer at players, chairs and metal posts are being flung into mobs of scuffling people and security is sparse, you know we've hit rock bottom in the sicko society of sport in America. What happened at the Palace of Auburn Hills left me with such a horrible feeling that I'm left to wonder if steel cages soon will be necessary.

William C. Rhoden, New York Times
This was a rainbow riot. Black fans, white fans and brown fans, spurred by alcohol and the more intoxicating prospect of turning an NBA game into reality TV, fought with players on the court and in the stands. Let's be very clear about this: The melee was caused by fans, drunken fans, riotous fans. . . . If I had my way when these teams meet again in December and March, I would place a net cage around the court to separate fans from players.

Michael Rosenberg, Detroit Free Press
An intense regular-season basketball game morphed into one of the ugliest nights in sports history Friday, and it's all because of (Ron) Artest. Without him, there is no riot at the Pistons-Pacers game. Period.

. . . What Ron Artest did has nothing to do with sports, nothing to do with the Pacers-Pistons rivalry and very little to do with the water bottle. He has teetered on the wall between sanity and insanity for a while, and Friday he fell on the wrong side. No, not fell. Jumped.

Stephen A. Smith, Philadelphia Inquirer
So much for Philadelphia serving as the standard for despicable acts with the way they booed Santa Claus years ago. After what took place at the Palace in Auburn Hills on Friday night, after seeing fans incite a riot by resembling hooligans with ticket stubs, the city of Detroit -- due to the pathetic display by far too many Pistons fans -- are now the standard-bearers for all that is wrong and off kilter with sports fans.

. . . Forgive me, though, but it's perfectly understandable why (Artest) charged that fan. It's perfectly understandable why (Stephen) Jackson punched a fan. It was perfectly understandable why (Jermaine) O'Neal punched a fan in the face, as well.

Those who start trouble should be able to back it up. Plain and simple.

Greg Anthony, ESPN NBA analyst
Everybody is to blame, the fans in particular.

John Saunders, ESPN host
If you're walking down the street in Times Square and someone throws a beer on you, it's assault and you have the right to defend yourself.

Mark Heisler, Los Angeles Times
What had been a routine breach of peace was now a full-fledged riot, raising a new issue: the shocking lack of security. After two minutes in which players from both teams traded insults and had to be restrained, there were still no ushers, police officers or security people visible between the players and the fans.

Reggie Miller, injured and wearing civilian clothes, was seen trying to calm people down, as did Rick Mahorn, the Detroit announcer once known as "McNasty." But there wasn't an officer's uniform in sight in the middle of the fray, or a security jacket, or an usher's uniform.

Terry Foster, Detroit News
And what was big Ben (Wallace) thinking? Yes, Artest gave him a hard foul during the final 45.9 seconds of the game, but it was not that hard. I saw much harder ones when the Bad Boy Pistons ran roughshod over the NBA. Pistons fans want to lambaste Artest for his hard foul, but these are the same people who defended Bill Laimbeer and Dennis Rodman when they sent folks into orbit.

Tim Legler, ESPN.com
I believe the on-court fighting between fans and players shouldn't result in punishment for players. The punches that Artest and O'Neal threw at fans on the court should be exempt from suspension because all bets should be off when a fan comes onto the court and goes after a player. When fans go after a player and threaten him physically, they deserve what they get.

Marc Stein, ESPN NBA writer
Much of the (fan) behavior was actually worse than soccer hooliganism, because soccer hooligans are often plain old hooligans who pretend to be soccer fans just to have an outlet to cause trouble. Friday's culprits threw bottles, liquids, foods, a chair and God knows what else at Pacers players to escalate the chaos to an all-time high. Or low.

I believe all sides behaved poorly. It seemed to all start with that shove on the court by the Pacers player. The fans behavior was appauling as well too though. Even when the players where going out,the fans where still throwing crap at them. The players should have definitely shown more restraint though. It seems however frustrating,they would be a little more used to critism, at this point. People atually want these guys held up as role models?!!!

I think the root problem of such incidents at sporting events is the unregulated consumption of alcoholic drinks. Anyone who has attended professional games knows that often the crowd smells like a brewery, and the drunks are just brewing for a fight. What say you?

Forum List

Back