PA school district using webcams to spy on students?

Emma

Evil Liberal Leftist™
Alleged School Webcam Use Draws Fire - The Early Show - CBS News

Suit: Schools Spied on Students Via Webcam - CBS News

The school district says the webcams are only activated when the computers are "lost or stolen."

The parents of Blake Robbins haven't spoke out yet, but in court papers filed Wednesday, they claim a school official activated the web cam last year for a different purpose, suspecting the Harriton High sophomore was "engaged in improper behavior at home." The lawsuit also claims Robbins was later confronted with a photograph from the webcam that was allegedly taken as evidence.

Privacy advocates are in an uproar.

What the hell????

School officials are being accused of using webcams to find out what students are doing at home???

I think I read about this once, way back in 1984. The best solution is to allow the government to get even bigger and have even more control over our lives. Then we can all become sheep and not have to worry about anything anymore.

Spying through a webcam on a Mac would be nearly impossible unless software had been installed on the computer, an expert said.

"Someone made the decision to do this," said Ryan Cantor, of Springboard Media in Center City, adding that hacking through Apple's firewall is extremely difficult. "For something like this to happen means the person deliberately installed something."

Metro - Suit: District cyber spied on teenager

Is the school providing laptops for the students?

That is just wrong.

If the school does own the laptops then the student does no have the same rights with that computer as if they owned it.

Last edited:
Alleged School Webcam Use Draws Fire - The Early Show - CBS News

Suit: Schools Spied on Students Via Webcam - CBS News

The school district says the webcams are only activated when the computers are "lost or stolen."

The parents of Blake Robbins haven't spoke out yet, but in court papers filed Wednesday, they claim a school official activated the web cam last year for a different purpose, suspecting the Harriton High sophomore was "engaged in improper behavior at home." The lawsuit also claims Robbins was later confronted with a photograph from the webcam that was allegedly taken as evidence.

Privacy advocates are in an uproar.

What the hell????

Are you against putting up security cameras on the streets like they do in england also?

I am against the school doing this and against what I just asked you.

Security cams are not just for England.
Ever been to disney World.
You are on cam there except for your hotel room and inside the bathrooms.

Several towns in FL have had the cams with face recognition software for around 8 years.

Ibor city for one.

Security cams are not just for England.
Ever been to disney World.
You are on cam there except for your hotel room and inside the bathrooms.

Several towns in FL have had the cams with face recognition software for around 8 years.

Ibor city for one.

Disney World watching me on their private property and some government employee watching me on public property are 2 very different things.

i do not support the government doing this.

That is just wrong.

If the school does own the laptops then the student does no have the same rights with that computer as if they owned it.

Just like at work right? You have no reasonable expectation of privacy as you are using someone else's property?....thats what your getting at correct?

If so we agree

That is just wrong.

That isn't the issue. The camera can be turned on anytime the laptop is open. I leave mine open far more than I should, in my bedroom. The issue is, unknown to me, unauthorized by me, someone far away can turn on the web cam and take pictures from it.

It is the same thing as giving someone an object that has a recording device in it, in order to listen to that persons conversations.

This breaks so many laws in so many ways, the best thing the school district can do is plead for forgiveness. There is no defense to any of this. There is no reason for the hack, (The reason given is specious, and the actual activity the school district engaged in is just plain wrong)and this was not the intended use of the computer.

I mean, we all laugh at the joke "In Soviet Russia, TV watches YOU!" But here we have a case of a US school district engaging in activity that even the Cheka would find an outrage.

ptitsa.jpg

That is just wrong.

Just like at work right? You have no reasonable expectation of privacy as you are using someone else's property?....thats what your getting at correct?

If so we agree

Yes we agree on that.

You are all aware that you cell phone can be turned on cam or mike and you can be listened inn on even if you are not using the phone. You location can be given, etc.
And it is all perfectly legal as long as the owner of the phone is doing it and does not actually record any telephone conversations.
Now the conversations they monitor whle the phone is not turned on it is perfectly legal to record.

this situation would come into play with a spouse or parent or corporation that owns the phone.

You are all aware that you cell phone can be turned on cam or mike and you can be listened inn on even if you are not using the phone. You location can be given, etc.
And it is all perfectly legal as long as the owner of the phone is doing it and does not actually record any telephone conversations.
Now the conversations they monitor whle the phone is not turned on it is perfectly legal to record.

this situation would come into play with a spouse or parent or corporation that owns the phone.

not if I leave my battery out when i'm not using it :D

tin_foil_hat.gif

It is possible but I beg to differ on the legality of it. It is legal for the police to use such a system or as anti theft measures but it is not legal for a private citizen to listen in on your private life without prior consent. That is how most of these companies use GPS systems on cell phones to track their employees – prior consent.

This is an obvious breach of privacy and is appalling. In his own home to boot. The real surprise is that the school had the audacity to approach the student with the pictures in hand. If that actually happened, it would speak volumes as to what they believe to be right to privacy (or lack thereof).

Last edited:

That is just wrong.

If so we agree

Yes we agree on that.

Not if your in your home,you have ALL the right to expect privacy at work or school is one thing,not at home. If this turns out to be true,and the spyed on people at home,heads should roll.

School officials are being accused of using webcams to find out what students are doing at home???

I think I read about this once, way back in 1984. The best solution is to allow the government to get even bigger and have even more control over our lives. Then we can all become sheep and not have to worry about anything anymore.

That would be AWESOME!!!

Life would be so great if we didn't have to do anything.

orange_county.jpg

Forum List

Back