PA looking to open up primaries

Oooohhhh....GOOD for them! I wish my state would do that.
I'm surprised the state legislature has any say in it, though--I thought that decision was made by the parties themselves.

Colorado has open primaries, but as Independents my wife and I don't vote in it. We feel like if we felt that strongly that we should vote in the primaries we should be a party member - which will never happen.

Joining a massive number of states who have already done it.

Tonight is the first Democrat Primary.

A smart candidate would go for the crossover votes. There is big enough field,that even if crossovers are a minority of voters, they could provide a plurality in such a wide open field

Pennsylvania Senate votes to open primary elections

Looks like this is just for Independents. If your a Republican and want to vote in the Democratic Primary, I think you will have to change your registration to the Democratic Party, at least temporarily.

Only restrictions I'm aware of is if a person votes in one primary they can't vote in the others, and your voter card is stamped to keep a voter from voting in more than one. Party membership is irrelevant as a prerequisite. Voter registration isn't dependent on Party membership in any way I know of. I only get my card stamped when I vote in a Primary, to prevent me from running over and voting in otherParty's Primaries..

Here in Colorado all primary voting is done by mail. Registered Independents get a ballot that lets them choose Democrat or Republican and registered party members get their own party primary ballot.

Forum List

Back