PA Lesbian Methodist Pastor Faces Church Trial

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
I still find it amazing that someone could read the Bible and still think that homosexuality is not condemned.

---------------------
Pa. Methodist Pastor Faces Church Trial
Mon Aug 2,10:49 PM ET

PHILADELPHIA - A lesbian Methodist minister faces a church trial for telling her congregation she's in a gay relationship, a United Methodist Church official said.

The Rev. Irene E. "Beth" Stroud, associate pastor at the First United Methodist Church of Germantown, spoke about the relationship in an April 2003 sermon, according to a statement from the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040803/ap_on_re_us/methodists_gays

gop_jeff said:
I still find it amazing that someone could read the Bible and still think that homosexuality is not condemned.

---------------------

PHILADELPHIA - A lesbian Methodist minister faces a church trial for telling her congregation she's in a gay relationship, a United Methodist Church official said.

The Rev. Irene E. "Beth" Stroud, associate pastor at the First United Methodist Church of Germantown, spoke about the relationship in an April 2003 sermon, according to a statement from the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040803/ap_on_re_us/methodists_gays
Didn't even have to read the entire article to ditto your amazement. With all these so called "mainstream churches" giving their approval, I am curious to know how they came about the conclusion that it was acceptable.

gop_jeff said:

---------------------

I find it amazing that anyone even cares.

DKSuddeth said:
didn't we do this in another state with another preacher and the church dropped the case?

In WA State, a lesbian pastor was acquitted on a technicality, but she has recently resigned because of the stress of it all.

gop_jeff said:
It would be akin to someone professing to be a super Buddhist monk and then doing the opposite of what Buddha commanded.

So, the fact that a person leads an otherwise good and godly life, aside from being gay, means they'll burn in hell forever? That's the god of the Old Teatament. Whatever became of the god of the New Testament?

Any deity that would deny or forbid the love of one human for another, regardles of their gender is a petty, shallow being.

Bullypulpit said:
So, the fact that a person leads an otherwise good and godly life, aside from being gay, means they'll burn in hell forever? That's the god of the Old Teatament. Whatever became of the god of the New Testament?

Any deity that would deny or forbid the love of one human for another, regardles of their gender is a petty, shallow being.

First, homosexuality has nothing to do with love. Its purely lust and selfish lust at that. Its saying it doesnt matter if i give this person some disease that will kill them. im going to get off the way i want to.

Second, homosexuality is more than likely a symptom for deeper problems. Id like you to find a homosexual living a "godly life"

Third, if you think anyone who is unchasted in this life regardless of whether they are hetero or homo is going to avoid punishment without intense and sincere repentence you are sadly mistaken. You cant mock matters of life and death and expect God to be alright with it.

Once again Christians are selectively enforcing passages of the bible. We ignore those passages approving of slavery, incest, daughter-selling, execution of belligerant children and fortune tellers, etc. But we enforce to the letter a one sentence statement about homosexuality from the Old Testament.

acludem

acludem said:
Once again Christians are selectively enforcing passages of the bible. We ignore those passages approving of slavery, incest, daughter-selling, execution of belligerant children and fortune tellers, etc. But we enforce to the letter a one sentence statement about homosexuality from the Old Testament.

acludem

Once again, you ignore the fact that homosexuality is condemned in both Old and New Testaments, not to mention that you twist Old Testament laws into your position that God "approves" of slavery, incest, etc.

gop_jeff said:
Once again, you ignore the fact that homosexuality is condemned in both Old and New Testaments, not to mention that you twist Old Testament laws into your position that God "approves" of slavery, incest, etc.

Absolutely 100% right. Talk about selectively enforcing passages!

The bottom line is simple.

It really doesn't matter whether you think that the church is absolutely incorrect for selectively choosing what to believe from the bible and what to disregard. It really doesn't matter if you believe the church is wrong in their beliefs that homosexuality is wrong.

The church has the right to set forth rules and regulations for itself and its members (and its church leaders). The members and leaders have an obligation to uphold those rules and regulations if they wish to maintain a place in that church.

You can disagree, you can be angry, thats fine, thats your right. But it is NOT your right to tell a religious organization how it should be and what it can and cannot do. This woman knew the rules her church set forth, she broke them willingly and with full knowledge of the consequences. In my opinion, it is a shame that the church is more interested in the gender of who she loves rather than the ministry she gives...but it is not my church, and therefore not my say...it is theirs. Freedom...ain't it a b*tch.

First, homosexuality has nothing to do with love. Its purely lust and selfish lust at that. Its saying it doesnt matter if i give this person some disease that will kill them. im going to get off the way i want to.

Second, homosexuality is more than likely a symptom for deeper problems. Id like you to find a homosexual living a "godly life"

Third, if you think anyone who is unchasted in this life regardless of whether they are hetero or homo is going to avoid punishment without intense and sincere repentence you are sadly mistaken. You cant mock matters of life and death and expect God to be alright with it.

In response....God no more sends us to hell for sin than if you murder you go to jail...Would you say that the government sent you to prison for murder or would you say that you chose to go there by killing some one?

1st, Who the fuck in god's name are you to devine the nature of a persons affections for annother based solely on the fact that both or neither of them have a penis.

2nd, show me a psychological study that is under 40 years old that agrees with your statement of homosexuality as a symptom. Give me your definition of a godly life, and I will find a gay person who lives it.

3rd, You are assumeing that your religious beliefs are correct, no crime is permanent, therefore no punishment should be.

Forum List

Back