P.F. Chang's is Not a Chinese Restaurant

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Yesterday Mr. Boe and I, having feted with the family over the weekend, planned to go to the movies and out for Chinese food to celebrate Christmas. Our movie theater of choice is in an open air mall, which prominently features a P.F. Chang's. At this point, I am pretty much hard wired to crave P.F. Chang's Kung Pao Chicken after seeing a movie.

So, I called P.F. Chang's on Christmas Eve to make dinner reservations. After waiting on hold for an inordinately long time, the perky young P.F. Changster informed me that they would be closed on Christmas Day.

Me: How on earth can you call yourself a Chinese Restaurant and not be open on Christmas day?

Changster: Uh, Uh, Uh.

Me: I mean, really, isn't it completely lacking in the Christmas Spirit for a Chinese Restaurant to be Closed On Christmas Day?

Changster: Uh. We're not really a Chinese restaurant. We're a Chinese themed bistro.

I'm really glad he cleared that up.

Skyfall was fabulous. Best Bond Movie Evah. And we dined at an authentic Chinese Resturant, the owner of which had never heard of "A Christmas Story". They were so busy they had run out of menus; and didn't understand why "all of these people want Chinese Food on Christmas Day". We enlightened them.

Last edited:
I'm glad you enjoyed your "Chinese-like food" on Christmas. :D

The best, and possibly only, Chinese food I've ever had was in Okinawa. It isn't prepared, taste or smell ANYTHING like what is served in American "Chinese" Restaurants or Buffets.

I did. It had no Cat Part ingredients.

;)

Worst of all, they didn't sing Jinger Bears!

Yesterday Mr. Boe and I, having feted with the family over the weekend, planned to go to the movies and out for Chinese food to celebrate Christmas. Our movie theater of choice is in a open air mall, which prominently features a P.F. Chang's. At this point, I am pretty much hard wired to crave P.F. Chang's Kung Pao Chicken after seeing a movie.

So, I called P.F. Chang's on Christmas Eve to make dinner reservations. After waiting on hold for an inordinately long time, the perky young P.F. Changster informed me that they would be closed on Christmas Day.

Me: How on earth can you call yourself a Chinese Restaurant and not be open on Christmas day:

Me: I mean, really, isn't it completely lacking in the Christmas Spirit for a Chinese Restaurant to be Closed On Christmas Day?

Changster: Uh. We're not really a Chinese restaurant. We're a Chinese themed bistro.

Skyfall was fabulous. Best Bond Movie Evah. And we dined at an authentic Chinese Resturant, the owner of which had never heard of "A Christmas Story". They were so busy they had run out of menus; and didn't understand why "all of these people want Chinese Food on Christmas Day". We enlightened them.

No, it wasn't. It was quite possibly the worst Bond ever. Seriously, Boedicca, you're the third person I've had to correct on USMB over this.

Yesterday Mr. Boe and I, having feted with the family over the weekend, planned to go to the movies and out for Chinese food to celebrate Christmas. Our movie theater of choice is in a open air mall, which prominently features a P.F. Chang's. At this point, I am pretty much hard wired to crave P.F. Chang's Kung Pao Chicken after seeing a movie.

Me: How on earth can you call yourself a Chinese Restaurant and not be open on Christmas day:

They were so busy they ran out of menus but had time to discuss the finer points of how busy they are on Christmas. Did you have Szechuan and did event take place before or after you ate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No, it wasn't. It was quite possibly the worst Bond ever. Seriously, Boedicca, you're the third person I've had to correct on USMB over this.

Make it four

They were so busy they ran out of menus but had time to discuss the finer points of how busy they are on Christmas. Did you have Szechuan and did event take place before or after you ate?

Bully for you.

Anyway, I never feel that I get enough out of going for a chinky. It's not the fault of the establishment, but rather my complete ignorance of Chinese cuisine. I look at the menu, hesitate, then order what I always get because I've no idea what everything else on the menu entails. I suppose I should Google some of the other dishes on the menu.

PS. Has anyone else noticed how the waitress who takes you order always whispers and smiles politely, then proceeds to bellow the order at the chefs behind the bead curtain?

Bully for you.

Anyway, I never feel that I get enough out of going for a chinky. It's not the fault of the establishment, but rather my complete ignorance of Chinese cuisine. I look at the menu, hesitate, then order what I always get because I've no idea what everything else on the menu entails. I suppose I should Google some of the other dishes on the menu.

PS. Has anyone else noticed how the waitress who takes you order always whispers and smiles politely, then proceeds to bellow the order at the chefs behind the bead curtain?

I go for Yum Cha when I am in Sydney and there are some great places here in NYC and Boston where I get food I am satisfied with.

They do make a really good hot 'n sour soup. Fortunately, there's a Pei Wei down the street.. same soup, less crowded.

Au Contraramente!

Skyfall was FANTASTIC!

We saw the movie first and went out for Chinese Food afterwards. The restaurant is a Local Institution that's been in business for decades.

The service was terrible. The female owner just stood at the cash register waving her arms around. We had to ask multiple times for water and tea. A glass of wine was beyond their capabilities. They serve the typical American Chinese Fusion menu with Szechuan, Hunan, Cantonese etc.

One large group seated after us got so frustrated that they walked out when the waiter finally showed up to take their order.

The food was very good - and the dinner theater was very entertaining.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back