P-61 Black Widow with missile

I share with you some pictures showing a flying P-61 with a missile under the fuselage. Does anyone know what kind of missile is this and was used operationally? The link also contains photographs of the plane now testing some kind of jet engine. Photos can be viewed by visiting the link below:

Avia o em Floripa P-61 Black Widow em testes especiais

Anthony
P-61_GorgonIV_NAN1-48.jpg

A PTV-N-2 Gorgon IV guided AA missile.

7958393208_94492e843d_o.jpg

An early swept-wing recoverable aerodynamic test body.

One unusual use of the P61 during WWII was when the Sixth Rangers rescued the
American prisoners at the Japanese prison at Cabanatuan PI. The rangers asked for the P61's to fly over as they crept up on the Japanese guards. The theory was the Japanese guards would look up at the airplanes and not notice the rangers. Did it work, yes indeedy.

I have a plastic model of the P-61 that's been gathering dust, I should get on it.

Here's a picture of a P-61 being restored by Mid Atlantic Aviation. That's about the condition it was in when I last saw it back in 2010 so I'm sure they've made some progress.

P-61.png

I have a plastic model of the P-61 that's been gathering dust, I should get on it.

Here's a picture of a P-61 being restored by Mid Atlantic Aviation. That's about the condition it was in when I last saw it back in 2010 so I'm sure they've made some progress.

View attachment 45504
Looks like they are (or at least were) making pretty good progress.
Were they trying to restore it to flying condition?

Looks like they are (or at least were) making pretty good progress.
Were they trying to restore it to flying condition?
Yes. Here's a link to the restoration site:
MID-ATLANTIC AIR MUSEUM - THE WIDOWS WEB - P-61 - THE RESTORATION[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the link!
That plane was in SORRY shape when they started, wasn't it? Makes what they've got done look even better by comparison.
Looks like they had to rebuild the wings from scratch, too.

I'd love to see that thing fly over some day... hopefully I'll get the chance.

Forum List

Back