Ozzie Guillen Suspended

First of all, did the Marlins hire Ozzie for his political views or because he could take the team to the world series?
I did not agree with a lot of what Ozzie said when he managed the Sox. I still do not agree with what Ozzie says, but I will defend his right to say what he wants.

I can promise you that this is the first thing Dave Samson asked Ozzie when his secretary called Ozzie into his offce. "What did we hire you for, Ozzie? To spout off about politics? Or to win the penant?"

Ozzie has a right to say whatever he wants. Dave has a right to say "you're fired". If I were Ozzie I'd ask myself whether my publicly stated thoughts are furthering my teams goal of winning a World Series. I don't see how this lame-brained stunt did.

It wasn't a lame-brained stunt....It was Ozzie being Ozzie.

Samson knew what he was getting.

First of all, did the Marlins hire Ozzie for his political views or because he could take the team to the world series?
I did not agree with a lot of what Ozzie said when he managed the Sox. I still do not agree with what Ozzie says, but I will defend his right to say what he wants.

I can promise you that this is the first thing Dave Samson asked Ozzie when his secretary called Ozzie into his offce. "What did we hire you for, Ozzie? To spout off about politics? Or to win the penant?"

Ozzie has a right to say whatever he wants. Dave has a right to say "you're fired". If I were Ozzie I'd ask myself whether my publicly stated thoughts are furthering my teams goal of winning a World Series. I don't see how this lame-brained stunt did.

It wasn't a lame-brained stunt....It was Ozzie being Ozzie.

Samson knew what he was getting.

Ozzie is getting exactly what ozzie deserves. When you work for an organization and go on TV and piss off a huge portion of your customers, there are going to be consequences. Especially if you are part of management. Just because someone has done something in the past doesn't mean that it is ok for him to do it in the future. This is arguably the lamest excuse I have heard on this board. Especially, when from a business standpoint, this is probably the worst thing he has said yet.

Yes, Miami knew they got a loose cannon with Ozzie and Ozzie knew who the Marlin's customers were when he spouted off. Neither Ozzie and his mouth is a surprise and neither is the suspension.

In terms of being able to voice a political observation, Ozzie was wrongly suspended

But in a business relying on Cuban fans to fill the seats, alienating the fan base is not advisable. The Marlins had a right to suspend him for a poor management decision

In terms of being able to voice a political observation, Ozzie was wrongly suspended

But in a business relying on Cuban fans to fill the seats, alienating the fan base is not advisable. The Marlins had a right to suspend him for a poor management decision

He has a right to *hold* an opinion and he has a right to voice it in his personal life.... really no matter how unfashionable it may be. I would raise Reggie White as a good example.

If he's representing his team in a magazine interview he has no inalienable right to spout off about politics without fear of repraisal.

It is just ironic that the Cubans who left Cuba for the lack of freedoms there, come to Miami want to restrict freedom of speech here.

Who said anything about anyone restricting anyone's speech? Ozzie made an insensitive comment, his employers have the right to suspend him.

If he is all fired up to support Castro, then he needs to quit his job and go support him.

He is an entertainer, just like every other, he needs to shut up and do his thing.

In a 'Men's Journal' interview in 2008, Ozzie admitted admiration for Castro. Politically speaking, Ozzie is, at the least, consistent.

In a 'Men's Journal' interview in 2008, Ozzie admitted admiration for Castro. Politically speaking, Ozzie is, at the least, consistent.

Spouting off bullshit you know nothing about speaking, Ozzie is at least consistent.

Check out the last paragraph in the article in this link; and, beyond this, go eat glass!

Ozzie Guillen's Love for Castro Will Cost Him Five Games - Yahoo! News

This is simple. I will help you. The Marlins players; their opponents; their fans; the fans of the teams that the play on the road; the people who work for the Marlins organization...... Nobody cares what Ozzie thinks about Fidel Castro. Nobody.

People should be able to go to the game, go to work, play and coach at that park - and not have to worry about the inflammatory comments that some loudmouthed butthole in the dugout keeps making. His comments were in no way relevant to Major League Baseball in this era.

Because his comments were no way relevant to MLB, he just should've STFU! Besides, he is just not a batboy in the dugout.
Anyways, the Phillies whooped the Marlins 7-1 yesterday which is a good thing. (glad I ain't a Marlins' fan.....they're in for a loooooooong season).

Forum List

Back