Ozzie Guillen Suspended

First of all, did the Marlins hire Ozzie for his political views or because he could take the team to the world series?
I did not agree with a lot of what Ozzie said when he managed the Sox. I still do not agree with what Ozzie says, but I will defend his right to say what he wants. We are supposed to still have the freedom to speak in this country.
The reaction to Ozzie's stupid comment is very Castro-like. Wanting him fired for what he said is something that would happen in Cuba, not here. Cuban Americans in Miami should let him know they don't appreciate his praise of the dictator, then show how the United States is different from the country they fled.

First of all, did the Marlins hire Ozzie for his political views or because he could take the team to the world series?
I did not agree with a lot of what Ozzie said when he managed the Sox. I still do not agree with what Ozzie says, but I will defend his right to say what he wants. We are supposed to still have the freedom to speak in this country.
The reaction to Ozzie's stupid comment is very Castro-like. Wanting him fired for what he said is something that would happen in Cuba, not here. Cuban Americans in Miami should let him know they don't appreciate his praise of the dictator, then show how the United States is different from the country they fled.

well said. :clap2:

well said. :clap2:

Yes, Castro has some very influential friends...

imagesCAKSB9XL-1.jpg

"I love Fidel Castro," Blurts Ozzie Guillen, the new manager of the Miami Marlins, in his Jupiter, Fla., spring-training office before an early-March team workout.

Big Fish - TIME

Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen was quoted saying he admires Fidel Castro. "I respect Fidel Castro," he said. "You know why? Many people have tried to kill Fidel Castro in the last 60 years, yet that [SOB] is still there."

Many local Cuban Americans have not taken Guillen's words lightly, and some local politicians have called for his resignation.

https://www.publicinsightnetwork.or...9b/thoughts-on-ozzie-guillens-castro-comments

Miami Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen sets Tuesday press conference to explain Fidel Castro comments - Miami Marlins - MiamiHerald.com

The Associated Press: Marlins suspend manager Ozzie Guillen for 5 games

The Miami Marlins have suspended manager Ozzie Guillen for five games for comments he made in which he expressed admiration for Cuban leader Fidel Castro.

"The Marlins acknowledge the seriousness of the comments attributed to Guillen," the team said in a prepared statement announcing the move. "The pain and suffering caused by Fidel Castro cannot be minimized especially in a community filled with victims of the dictatorship."

Marlins bench coach Joey Cora will be the interim manager during the suspension.

"The interpretation didn't come out as I wanted," Guillen said in Spanish, according to ESPN's translation. "I was thinking in Spanish and I said the wrong thing in English."

Asked how the statement "I love Fidel Castro" could be misconstrued, Guillen once again said he was talking about how surprised he was that Castrol had been able to stay in power for so long.

"Everybody in the world hates Fidel Castro, including myself," Guillen said. "I was surprised that he's still in power. That's what I was trying to say to the journalist. And that's the first thing that came out of my mouth. I admit it. It was the wrong words."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7795152/ozzie-guillen-miami-marlins-suspended-five-games

I was thinking in Spanish and I said the wrong thing in English. :lol:

Last edited:
Stupidity is also protected speech. This article talks about the reasons why Guillen was hired in Miami.
And the first time he does what they expected him to do....sit down 5 games. :cuckoo:

Marlins changing jerseys as part of re-branding

Your link is wrong. What did the guy say?

Sorry I was attempting to link a story that was part of the SI baseball preview that praised Guillen for his outspokeness and outrageousness and what a great fit he was for the Miami market. Still trying to find it.

Last edited:
Stupidity is also protected speech. This article talks about the reasons why Guillen was hired in Miami.
And the first time he does what they expected him to do....sit down 5 games. :cuckoo:

Sorry I was attempting to link a story that was part of the SI baseball preview that praised Guillen for his outspokeness and outrageouness and what a great fit he was for the Miami market. Still trying to find it.

Someone posted it.

I really don't think he should have been suspended. I think managing in Florida, there are many people sensative to Castro, so maybe the team felt they had to.

he is an idiot nonetheless.

Sorry I was attempting to link a story that was part of the SI baseball preview that praised Guillen for his outspokeness and outrageouness and what a great fit he was for the Miami market. Still trying to find it.

Someone posted it.

I really don't think he should have been suspended. I think managing in Florida, there are many people sensative to Castro, so maybe the team felt they had to.

he is an idiot nonetheless.

Exactly. I feel bad for him. They knew what they were buying with this guy. He has a fabulous baseball IQ. Other than that I am not positive that he has the equivalent of High School education in this country (he signed as a professional at 16 from his native country - Venezuela). It's not fair to him.

I don't think he should have been suspended (they knew whom they were hiring when they hired him), but you have to know the phones in the front office were ringing off the hook after he opened his piehole.

I mean, praising Castro in Miami? Nothing like completely alienating a huge chunk of your fanbase.

Ozzie is not allowed to have his own opinion of Castro

Sure he is. And the Florida Marlins are allowed to suspend him or fire him whenever they deem appropriate under the terms of their professional contract. Cubans in Florida or elsewhere and baseball fans everywhere are allowed to boo him or forgive him.

"I feel like I betrayed my Latin community," Guillen said, according to ESPN's translation of his comments in Spanish. "I am here to say I am sorry with my heart in my hands and I want to say I'm sorry to all those people who are hurt indirectly or directly."

"I'm sorry for what I said and for putting people in a position they don't need to be in. And for all the Cuban families, I'm sorry," he said, according to ESPN's translation. "I hope that when I get out of here, they will understand who Ozzie Guillen is. How I feel for them. And how I feel about the Fidel Castro dictatorship. I'm here to face you, person to person. It's going to be a very difficult time for me."

Major League Baseball was reviewing the situation, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Guillen told Time magazine for an article published last week that he loves Castro and respects him for staying in power for so long.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/7795152/ozzie-guillen-miami-marlins-suspended-five-games

Last edited:
The original "Praise" of him sounds alot more like what I would describe as a "ghetto street cred" type of thing.
Paraphrasing Guillen:
"Yo dawg...Castro is a bad ass holmes. Homiez been trying to smoke his ass for 60 years main and he still kickin."

"...I think sooner is better. Better for the ball club, better for me.”

Guillen said the news conference is open to “anybody that wants to be there” -- and there just might be some angry people in attendance. A Cuban American group had already organized a demonstration for the same day before Guillen announced his plan to address the public.

Although he already apologized during a closed meeting with Marlins beat writers over the weekend, Guillen feels it is necessary to face the public and, he hopes, put the matter behind him.

“I know I hurt a lot of people,” Guillen said. “I want to get the thing over with.”

Ozzie Guillen plans public apology for Fidel Castro comments - latimes.com

Ozzie has no free speech in a business setting. Much of Miami is a bunch of Cubanos hating Castro. Of course Ozzie got sat down. He hurt the team in the local market.

Castro's best friends in the USA are the far right extremists who hate him. He and the commies make millions yearly off their misdirected hate.

Absolutely ridiculous.

The Marlins knew what they were getting with Guillen...A better-than-average manager who says ridiculous things as often as not.

Why everyone isn't just sitting back and laughing their asses off is beyond me.

I did not agree with a lot of what Ozzie said when he managed the Sox. I still do not agree with what Ozzie says, but I will defend his right to say what he wants.

I can promise you that this is the first thing Dave Samson asked Ozzie when his secretary called Ozzie into his offce. "What did we hire you for, Ozzie? To spout off about politics? Or to win the penant?"

Ozzie has a right to say whatever he wants. Dave has a right to say "you're fired". If I were Ozzie I'd ask myself whether my publicly stated thoughts are furthering my teams goal of winning a World Series. I don't see how this lame-brained stunt did.

Forum List

Back