Oxford students call for professorā€™s removal over alleged homophobia

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

Students at Oxford University are demanding that a Catholic law professor be sacked for alleged homophobia.

At least 350 students have signed a petition calling for John Finnis to be removed from teaching, citing a ā€œa long record of extremely discriminatory views against many groups of disadvantaged peopleā€ including the LGBT+ community.

Finnis, 78, who is emeritus professor of law and legal philosophy at University College, has rejected the studentsā€™ claims, saying there was ā€œnot a ā€˜phobicā€™ sentenceā€ in all his writings.

His Collected Essays, published in 2011, include an assertion from a paper published in 1994 that homosexuality is ā€œnever a valid, humanly acceptable choice and form of lifeā€. It is ā€œdestructive of human character and relationshipsā€, he wrote, because ā€œit treats human sexual capacities in a way which is deeply hostile to the self-understanding of those members who are willing to commit themselves to real marriageā€.

Not sure there is enough in the passage quoted. But if I was a gay student I would not feel comfortable being taught by this character, and paying for the pleasure.

Yeah well, it's obvious the the UK is already under the boot of Thoughtcrime. It's crept in over here as well, though I believe there's about to be a significant backlash.

Holding discriminatory views is not a crime, nor does it in itself equate to discrimination.

That's absolutely fucking sad.

We had a homo Spanish teacher we used to give hell 50% of the time.

He was a good teacher, so only 50% of the time.

Tommy in about 1-2 more generations the British will be living under homophobic Sharia Laws.

Students at Oxford University are demanding that a Catholic law professor be sacked for alleged homophobia.

At least 350 students have signed a petition calling for John Finnis to be removed from teaching, citing a ā€œa long record of extremely discriminatory views against many groups of disadvantaged peopleā€ including the LGBT+ community.

Finnis, 78, who is emeritus professor of law and legal philosophy at University College, has rejected the studentsā€™ claims, saying there was ā€œnot a ā€˜phobicā€™ sentenceā€ in all his writings.

His Collected Essays, published in 2011, include an assertion from a paper published in 1994 that homosexuality is ā€œnever a valid, humanly acceptable choice and form of lifeā€. It is ā€œdestructive of human character and relationshipsā€, he wrote, because ā€œit treats human sexual capacities in a way which is deeply hostile to the self-understanding of those members who are willing to commit themselves to real marriageā€.

Not sure there is enough in the passage quoted. But if I was a gay student I would not feel comfortable being taught by this character, and paying for the pleasure.
The mentally ill want to be the new norm.

Tommy in about 1-2 more generations the British will be living under homophobic Sharia Laws.

Where's the Thoughtcrimes unit?

This is why the US shot down leftist hatespeech laws.

Stupidity at its finest.

it was not considered bad back then to say or write it

But if I was a gay student I would not feel comfortable being taught by this character, and paying for the pleasure.

The obvious solution is to keep your gay ass out of his class. You wouldn't want to be exposed to a different viewpoint.

If the man is actively harassing gay students or treating them unfairly, there would be a reason for complaint.

Since he is simply expressing a personal opinion, though, this is just a case of fascists attempting to silence disagreement by any method they can.

I'm not surprised that the #1 Eurofascist at this site supports it.

If he had been Islamic and written that same paper six months ago Tommy would be cheering his "diversity".

It's a total joke, Tommy.

This is not a question of sensitivity, it is a question of profound weakness. Anyone so fragile that such a statement affects them more than superficially is someone who will have an extremely difficult life in this world and will probably require psychological help.

You cannot be serious in thinking this justifies destroying a successful career.

To make this clear to you Tommy:

I hate hypocrisy.

And I hate sniveling cowardice.

You are a both a hypocrite and a coward, but you are not alone among Leftists, are you? So easy to pick on the gentle Catholic college professor, you and the ranks of cowardly sniveling hypocritical college students, on his essay going back more than twenty years. He won't even challenge you, let alone throw acid in your face.

Challenging him costs you NOTHING and allows you to virtue-signal like the hero you imagine you are.

This is me, Tommy, not impressed.

Do something that COSTS you something, Tommy. Not just in money. Put something on the line. I bet you never have.

A professor wrote something in the past mildly critical of homosexuality in society.
A religion wrote much in the past severely critical of homosexuals, other religions, women and, especially, Jews.
The professor surely has few devoted to him. The other has millions. Which should we be concerned about?

You cannot be serious in thinking this justifies destroying a successful career.

If you had read the OP I stated this.

Not sure there is enough in the passage quoted.

So, no I am not calling for his removal. There is not enough information in the article to arrive at that decision. But the quote given does raise questions. Maybe it is out of context ?

"homosexuality is ā€œnever a valid, humanly acceptable choice and form of lifeā€

None of us would agree with that nonsense.

"homosexuality is ā€œnever a valid, humanly acceptable choice and form of lifeā€

Look around. You'll be surprised.

Why is this geezer, closing in on 80, still teaching anyway?

Everybody understands he wrote the article in 1994. Pay close attention to the words "destructive" and "hostile". It should have been unacceptable then. But he chose, in 2011, to republish this horse manure, indicating he learned not a thing during the intervening years.

He should have been gone, like, yesterday.

Everybody understands he wrote the article in 1994. Pay close attention to the words "destructive" and "hostile". It should have been unacceptable then. But he chose, in 2011, to republish this horse manure, indicating he learned not a thing during the intervening years.

Sign the Petition

Excerpts from John Finnisā€™ public statements and published work as examples of his discrimination

Just done a bit of digging. The guy is a poisonous loon. Maybe give him a job at some imbecile religious college but he should not be teaching law. Although I do value his thoughts on masturbation .

That's just basic common sense and common decency. Any sane, decent person would agree with that statement. It is only filthy perverts and pervert-lovers such as yourself who have problem with such an expression of basic moral standards.

Sign the Petition

Excerpts from John Finnisā€™ public statements and published work as examples of his discrimination

Just done a bit of digging. The guy is a poisonous loon. Maybe give him a job at some imbecile religious college but he should not be teaching law. Although I do value his thoughts on masturbation .

Are there any Muslims teaching law in the UK, Tommy? When will you share your thoughts on them, I have to wonder.

That's just basic common sense and common decency. Any sane, decent person would agree with that statement. It is only filthy perverts and pervert-lovers such as yourself who have problem with such an expression of basic moral standards.
Its neither, its just psuedo religious crap.
Homosexuality is not a choice. When did you choose your sexuality Bob ?

Forum List

Back