OWS shuts down Port of Oakland

The OWS kids are reinforcing a standard liberal/authoritarian line favorable to the Powers That Be, and so are not really a protest.
:shrug:

Both "liberal/authoritarian" and "liberal line favorable to the Powers That Be" are oxymorons.

If you substitute the word "Democratic" (meaning the party) for "liberal" in the above they cease to be oxymorons, but also lose any significance w/r/t Occupy.

'Occupy Oakland' Protesters Clash With Police Following Day Of Protests | Fox News

Police clashed with protesters in Oakland after thousands of demonstrators shut down one of the nation's busiest shipping ports, escalating a movement whose tactics had largely been limited to marches, rallies and tent encampments since it began in September.
The crowd disrupted port operations by overwhelming the area with people and blocking exits with chain-link fencing and illegally parked vehicles. The demonstrators also erected fences to block main streets to the port. No trucks were allowed into or out of the area.

Port spokesman Isaac Kos-Read said evening operations had been "effectively shut down."

And later port officials released a statement saying that maritime activity would be cancelled indefinitely, but they hoped to resume the work day Thursday.

"Our hope is that the work day can resume tomorrow and that Port workers will be allowed to get to their jobs without incident," the statement read. "Continued missed shifts represent economic hardship for maritime workers, truckers, and their families, as well as lost jobs and lost tax revenue for our region."

Oakland organizers said they targeted the port because they want to stop the "flow of capital."

As protesters left the area on foot some stopped to burn money, others bickered, and one burned an American flag.

Zachary RunningWolf, a well-known Bay Area activist, said he burned the flag "to start an educated discussion among us."

morons.

Do they have nuclear weapons?

Most people who work those docks do not have 'deep pockets'. They have families to feed, rent or mortgages to pay, and no one has the right to force them out of work for their own selfish wants.

When did those dock workers hire you as their spokesperson? If they didn't, why should we believe that you are speaking for them or that they share your views on this?

Are you saying that the dock workers would NEVER, under any circumstances, want the docks to be shut down?

If you are, I refer you to this: 1934 West Coast waterfront strike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right, it's not really a protest unless there is littering, public urination and property damage.......

By that standard, Occupy isn't a protest movement, either. You need to stop believing (or perhaps pretending to believe) the lies.

My bad, since Obama has been president i'm starting to realize that only Marxists tell the truth......

Most people who work those docks do not have 'deep pockets'. They have families to feed, rent or mortgages to pay, and no one has the right to force them out of work for their own selfish wants.

When did those dock workers hire you as their spokesperson? If they didn't, why should we believe that you are speaking for them or that they share your views on this?

Are you saying that the dock workers would NEVER, under any circumstances, want the docks to be shut down?

If you are, I refer you to this: 1934 West Coast waterfront strike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When did the the dock workers hire the Pee Party to speak for them? ... :eusa_whistle:

The OWS kids are reinforcing a standard liberal/authoritarian line favorable to the Powers That Be, and so are not really a protest.
Both "liberal/authoritarian" and "liberal line favorable to the Powers That Be" are oxymorons.
Your statement is laughable and denotes either an ignorance of the terms as they are curretly held, a severe disconect from reality, or both.

Liberals are/can be every bit as authoritative as you'd like to believe conservatives are/can be.

Last edited:

1934?
WTF?

THAT's how far back you have to reach to bolster a crappy argument? Damn, that's sad.

Well, the obvious difference of your example, that was their choice.

This wasn't.

Folks like thinking and acting for themselves. I know that annoys the shit out of you because you want to do that for them or have your idea of government do that for them, but that's just life.

1934?
WTF?

THAT's how far back you have to reach to bolster a crappy argument? Damn, that's sad.

It's not a crappy argument, and if you have no sense of history, I can't help that.

Are you saying now that the character of dock workers has so radically changed in the decades since that today's dock workers would never, ever approve of the docks being shut down for any purpose? That seems to have been the assumption CG was operating on when she presumed to speak for them.

1934?
WTF?

It's not a crappy argument, and if you have no sense of history, I can't help that.

Are you saying now that the character of dock workers has so radically changed in the decades since that today's dock workers would never, ever approve of the docks being shut down for any purpose? That seems to have been the assumption CG was operating on when she presumed to speak for them.

show me where I said that.

I've posted a few times my opinions on this. If you have trouble reading, I suggest you go back to school, or find a tutor.

So OWS disrupts trade in one of our ports and the people who named themselves after the Boston Tea Party have a fainting spell.

lol, too funny.

You idiots should have named yourselves the Loyalists.

What were you doing in history class when they discussed the events of the period? Was the teacher's bosom so big you could't listen to a word she was saying? Do you have a single lonely clue about the issues involved back then?

The problem back then was the crown was behaving like a bunch of OWS protesters. Petulant, greedy, self centered and whiny. THe crown shut down trade except for the East India monopoly. The orignal tea party was about the government behaving illegally. Which is what the modern tea party is all about as well.

Actually, the problem back then bore a lot of resemblance to the problems today, and the Boston Tea Party actually was a good bit like Occupy -- if you factor in the Committees of Correspondence and Sons of Liberty the resemblance grows (the BTP being only one incident, although as it turned out an important one). Consider:

1) The British government was supporting the interests of a wealthy elite against that of the common people.

2) The government was unresponsive to popular demands, and the British colonists in America had no effective vote.

3) Contrary to popular belief on the right these days, the Tea Tax was actually a tax CUT, not an increase -- a cut for corrupt mercantile interests, increasing their profits at the expense of the little guys.

4) The Boston Tea Party, like Occupy and unlike the modern Tea Party movement, nonviolently broke the law by destroying private property.

5) The popular movement of which the Boston Tea Party was one expression was a nationwide, organized protest against the Crown, of which a minority faction wanted independence but the whole of it wanted redress against a government that served privilege instead of the public interest.

It was very much a populist movement driven by class war, even if later on it was hijacked by the American upper class, who made common cause with the "mob" against its British counterpart.

Consider:
1) The British government was supporting the interests of a wealthy elite against that of the common people.
You cannot show that this applies today.

2) The government was unresponsive to popular demands, and the British colonists in America had no effective vote.
Again, you cannot show that this applies today.

3) Contrary to popular belief on the right these days, the Tea Tax was actually a tax CUT, not an increase -- a cut for corrupt mercantile interests, increasing their profits at the expense of the little guys
See above.

4) The Boston Tea Party, like Occupy and unlike the modern Tea Party movement, nonviolently broke the law by destroying private property.
Nonviolent destruction of private porperty?
This is absurd on its face.

5) The popular movement of which the Boston Tea Party was one expression was a nationwide, organized protest against the Crown, of which a minority faction wanted independence but the whole of it wanted redress against a government that served privilege instead of the public interest.
Again, you cannot show that this applies today.

Congrats on the epic fail.

Last edited:
Their protests are now turning violent. They're actually doing all the things the Left/Democrats said the Tea Partiers would do. But obviously the Tea Partiers did not turn violent. These "Occupiers" have lost a lot of support. Now they're just becoming violent mobs. And no one understands what they want anymore. What are their demands? This is what happens when you don't have a clear message. The violent nutters end up taking over.

I think TEA stands for Taxed Enough Already, not associated with the colonial revolt.

Violence is unacceptable. Shutting down the port for one day is fine, the effects will hit deep pockets. But I say one day, make your point and leave.

Your rights do not outweigh mine. Not rocket science.

When the shipping containers of Made In China crap don't make it to Walmart, trust me the deep pockets will feel the hit.

Not everybody's rights are going to be equal all the time; that's just reality.

3) Contrary to popular belief on the right these days, the Tea Tax was actually a tax CUT, not an increase -- a cut for corrupt mercantile interests, increasing their profits at the expense of the little guys..

It had nothing to do with that, and almost everything to do with forcing the colonists to buy highly taxed tea, and to cement the right of the crown to tax the colonies in the first place.

Tea Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • The Company was eligible to be granted licence to export tea to North America
  • The Company was no longer required to sell its tea at auction in London
  • Duties on tea (charged in Britain) destined for North America "and foreign parts" would either be refunded on export or not imposed
  • Consignees receiving the Company's tea were required to pay a deposit upon receipt of tea
the only reduction of tax was in Great Britain, not the colonies, and it was designed to force the colonists to purchase tea on which Townshend duties were paid...
Townshend Acts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The purpose of the Townshend Acts was to raise revenue in the colonies to pay the salaries of governors and judges so that they would be independent of colonial rule, to create a more effective means of enforcing compliance with trade regulations, to punish the province of New York for failing to comply with the 1765 Quartering Act, and to establish the precedent that the British Parliament had the right to tax the colonies

Congrats on the epic fail.
Congrats on the total non-response.
I addresseed several of your points with a challenge for you to show that they applied today:

You cannot show that this applies today.

You have failed to rerspond to those challenges, and thus, each of your points remains unsupported. Without support for your argument, it necessarily fails.

I gotta say - the claim of a "nonviolent destruction of private porperty" got quite a laugh.
:lol:

Forum List

Back