OWS shuts down Port of Oakland

Conservative

Type 40
Jul 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
'Occupy Oakland' Protesters Clash With Police Following Day Of Protests | Fox News

Police clashed with protesters in Oakland after thousands of demonstrators shut down one of the nation's busiest shipping ports, escalating a movement whose tactics had largely been limited to marches, rallies and tent encampments since it began in September.
The crowd disrupted port operations by overwhelming the area with people and blocking exits with chain-link fencing and illegally parked vehicles. The demonstrators also erected fences to block main streets to the port. No trucks were allowed into or out of the area.

Port spokesman Isaac Kos-Read said evening operations had been "effectively shut down."

And later port officials released a statement saying that maritime activity would be cancelled indefinitely, but they hoped to resume the work day Thursday.

"Our hope is that the work day can resume tomorrow and that Port workers will be allowed to get to their jobs without incident," the statement read. "Continued missed shifts represent economic hardship for maritime workers, truckers, and their families, as well as lost jobs and lost tax revenue for our region."

Oakland organizers said they targeted the port because they want to stop the "flow of capital."

As protesters left the area on foot some stopped to burn money, others bickered, and one burned an American flag.

Zachary RunningWolf, a well-known Bay Area activist, said he burned the flag "to start an educated discussion among us."

morons.

'Occupy Oakland' Protesters Clash With Police Following Day Of Protests | Fox News

Police clashed with protesters in Oakland after thousands of demonstrators shut down one of the nation's busiest shipping ports, escalating a movement whose tactics had largely been limited to marches, rallies and tent encampments since it began in September.
The crowd disrupted port operations by overwhelming the area with people and blocking exits with chain-link fencing and illegally parked vehicles. The demonstrators also erected fences to block main streets to the port. No trucks were allowed into or out of the area.

Port spokesman Isaac Kos-Read said evening operations had been "effectively shut down."

And later port officials released a statement saying that maritime activity would be cancelled indefinitely, but they hoped to resume the work day Thursday.

"Our hope is that the work day can resume tomorrow and that Port workers will be allowed to get to their jobs without incident," the statement read. "Continued missed shifts represent economic hardship for maritime workers, truckers, and their families, as well as lost jobs and lost tax revenue for our region."

Oakland organizers said they targeted the port because they want to stop the "flow of capital."

As protesters left the area on foot some stopped to burn money, others bickered, and one burned an American flag.

Zachary RunningWolf, a well-known Bay Area activist, said he burned the flag "to start an educated discussion among us."

morons.
These idiots are falling for what they've been fed by thier handlers...and nevermind they don't care how it affects the lives of others.

Bunch of petulant children.

morons.
These idiots are falling for what they've been fed by thier handlers...and nevermind they don't care how it affects the lives of others.

Bunch of petulant children.

That's the irony, their preaching stop the greed, yet their the ones being selfish, on many levels.

hey, what better way is there to protest a lack of jobs, than to shut down the 5th largest port in the country and stop hundreds from getting to their jobs, right? I mean, fuck... if the OWS protestors can't work, no one should, right?

Fuckwads.

And you know where the leader of the COWS is? He on the French Riviera.

So OWS disrupts trade in one of our ports and the people who named themselves after the Boston Tea Party have a fainting spell.

lol, too funny.

You idiots should have named yourselves the Loyalists.

Last edited:
So OWS disrupts trade in one of our ports and the people who named themselves after the Boston Tea Party have a fainting spell.

lol, too funny.

How does shutting down the 5th largest port in the country, putting hundreds out of work, help get people jobs or 'end capitalism'?

lol, too funny.

So, anyone who disagrees with people damaging the livelihoods of other Americans is a Loyalist to you?

Genuine question: can you be any more stupid?

They have a right to protest. Their right to protest ends when it costs other Americans their jobs, or their ability to go about their lawful business.

lol, too funny.

So, anyone who disagrees with people damaging the livelihoods of other Americans is a Loyalist to you?

They have a right to protest. Their right to protest ends when it costs other Americans their jobs, or their ability to go about their lawful business.

Why did the Tea Party take their name from people who did exactly that? And much more, eventually.

lol, too funny.

How does shutting down the 5th largest port in the country, putting hundreds out of work, help get people jobs or 'end capitalism'?

Are we still a British colony?

Deflection. The Boston Tea Party was a dispute over taxation without representation. It was not a bunch of people claiming they wanted an end to capitalism and jobs for everyone.

Why won't you answer the question? Afraid you won't like your own answer?

WHAT does closing the 5th largest port in the US and putting hundreds out of work (even temporarily) do to create jobs or 'end capitalism'?

I think TEA stands for Taxed Enough Already, not associated with the colonial revolt.

Violence is unacceptable. Shutting down the port for one day is fine, the effects will hit deep pockets. But I say one day, make your point and leave.

lol, too funny.

Why did the Tea Party take their name from people who did exactly that? And much more, eventually.

Because, you moronic freak. it was a question of TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY.. But take note. the Tea Party did not actually shut down the Boston Harbor or start any fires.. I know these subtle :eusa_eh: differences are undetectable to one so dumb. but that's the way it is.. sometimes. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think TEA stands for Taxed Enough Already, not associated with the colonial revolt.

Violence is unacceptable. Shutting down the port for one day is fine, the effects will hit deep pockets. But I say one day, make your point and leave.

What gives the protestors the right, even for 1 day, to prevent someone else from getting to their job and feeding their family?

What gives the protestors the right, even for 1 day, to prevent someone else from getting to their job and feeding their family?

Point taken. However disruption is an inherit component of a protest is it not?

Point taken. However disruption is an inherit component of a protest is it not?

they cannot protest without costing others their jobs, even temporarily so?

Their right to protest, IMHO, ends where it infringes on my right to earn a paycheck to feed my family.

Are we still a British colony?

Deflection. The Boston Tea Party was a dispute over taxation without representation. It was not a bunch of people claiming they wanted an end to capitalism and jobs for everyone.

Why won't you answer the question? Afraid you won't like your own answer?

WHAT does closing the 5th largest port in the US and putting hundreds out of work (even temporarily) do to create jobs or 'end capitalism'?

I notice NYC is being his typical trollish self. give him a tough question, he goes bye bye.

Their right to protest, IMHO, ends where it infringes on my right to earn a paycheck to feed my family.

So it ends when it inconveniences you.

But don't paint the dock workers as victims. Most of them are supportive of this move and participated in it.

Which reminds me. Would you say the same about a union going on strike? That's essentially a protest, and it certainly infringes on the right of the workers belonging to the union to earn a paycheck. So on that ground, would you abolish unions?

If so, would you go back to the 14-hour day, no benefits, no job security, and subsistence pay? Sometimes you have to risk, struggle, and disrupt in order to obtain a fair shake.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back