OWS deserves some credit.

who gives them the power?

Their bought cronies in congress and on regulatory boards. See, it goes round and round. Why do you think Enron lobbied so hard for GW Bush, for example? It's because they knew his palm was so greased that they could rape California and get away with it (well, almost).

Let's get all money out of government that does not come from INDIVIDUAL citizens. And let's cap that at $100 dollars so that everyone can have a say (that would be my plan). That is what OWS wants.

Bingo.

THAT is who you should be protesting.

It is not against the law to try to maximize revenue...it is not against the law to make large campaign donations...it is not against the law to exepct favorable legislation....

BUT...

It is against the congress code of ethics to jeopardize the financial system in an effort to pass favorable legislation to a company that gave you a large donation.

Congress is the one you should be protesting....no one else.

I understand. But you are actually agreeing as to why they should be protesting government and not wall street.

If you BUY something, then there must be a seller....

Now what is the best way to get people to stop buying something?

Attack the buyer or attack the seller?

Is it best to deal with the drug problem by going after the users or the sellers?

And you actually said that I cant be that dense? I mean really?

It is because of our screwed-up election process. Those who raise the most money have the loudest voice - and then that corporate entity expects favorable legislation - that is why we were so upset about the Corporations (erm I mean Citizens) United decision . Enough is enough.

But they cant get favorable legoslation if Washington doesnt give it to them.

Let me ask you a question.......if your firend paid 10 bucks for a ticket to the Stones...and you, on the same day, paid 1000 bucks for a better ticket......would you expect a better seat?

So why shouldnt a corporation exepect favorable legislation if it pays a bigger donation? Such is human nature.

HOWEVER........it does not mean Washington needs to comply...and it shouldnt....but it does.....

Your beef is with congress......you just dont see it.

The beef is with the Supreme Court, or rather the five members who voted for Citizens United v. FEC.

OWS deserves a lot of credit.

They put the focus where it belongs...on the people who destroyed the world economy, Wall Street.

The tide is shifting, and it's bad news for the Republicans.

Seems to me you have not been paying attention.

By the way....the people dont pay wall street to NOT be greedy.

They pay congress to ensure wall street doesnt let its greed compromise its ethics.

Congress decided to look the other way.

Why arent they protesting the people they pay who had better things to do....like attending committee meetings in the Bahamas.....

I don't think I can agree with you. OWS has increased the awareness of the economic inequality. Considering every poll, Americans are increasingly more aware and more upset about this. Then, we have calls for expanding the tax base and to increase taxes on the Middle Class and while lowering taxes for the wealthy (Cain's 9-9-9, Perry's 20% flat tax and Paul Ryan's Budget legislation for 2012). The spending cut proposals that hurt the Middle Class & poor with no shared sacrifice from the wealthy has awareness also with the Middle Class..
The GOP seems very out-of-touch with the plight of the Middle Class based on their actions and those actions and proposals could hurt them in 2012..

Bingo.

Nope. Congress isn't pulling the strings anymore... corporate America is. You don't do their bidding, you don't get their money - so the most corporate friendly (and greedy) person gets elected instead, and on down the third world spiral we go. Corporations are effectively holding our government hostage. That is why everyone that gets elected becomes an instant corporate stooge. We need to purge our government of corporate influence (money), period.

Bingo.

Nope. Congress isn't pulling the strings anymore... corporate America is. You don't do their bidding, you don't get their money - so the most corporate friendly (and greedy) person gets elected instead, and on down the third world spiral we go. Corporations are effectively holding our government hostage. That is why everyone that gets elected becomes an instant corporate stooge. We need to purge our government of corporate influence (money), period.

wow....maybe I am not articulating it properly....

The ONLY way corporate America can pull the strings is if Congress lets them.

You are so wrapped up in the greed of business owners......that you are completely blind to the fact that it is the greed of our poiticians that is the problem.

Peepers...you can control congress from TAKING their money a lot easier than you can control the corporations from giving it.

It is not against the law to make campaign donations.

It IS against the congressional code of ethics to push legislation that is not good for America but in favor of the corporation that gave you the money.

I asked you earlier...I did not see your answer...if you answered...

Is it wiser to hunt down the drug dealers (sellers) or hunt down the drug users (buyers)?

Bingo.

You are so wrapped up in the greed of business owners......that you are completely blind to the fact that it is the greed of our poiticians that is the problem.

Peepers...you can control congress from TAKING their money a lot easier than you can control the corporations from giving it.

It IS against the congressional code of ethics to push legislation that is not good for America but in favor of the corporation that gave you the money.

Is it wiser to hunt down the drug dealers (sellers) or hunt down the drug users (buyers)?

It is better to hunt down the people pulling the strings.

Wall Street.

I don't think YOU'RE understanding. Taking away corporate money WOULD be taking money out of the equation and WOULD be taking money from congress. Where does the bulk of campaign money come from... us citizens? NO!!! Corporate slush via PAC's, unions and the uber wealthy that prosper from those corporations is where the bulk of campaign money comes from.. The only way we can make congress honest is to take away the impetus to BE greedy. Can't be greedy if there's no money allowed to come in except for your $100 and my $100. Do you not think this would make for a much more fair and representative electioral process?

Last edited:

It is better to hunt down the people pulling the strings.

Wall Street.

So what you are saying is you want to give the government the power to control corporate money so the members of our government are unable to accept bribes with that money.

I know there is a little spin in what I am saying....but if you really look at it, that is what you are saying.

I don't think YOU'RE understanding. Taking away corporate money WOULD be taking money out of the equation and WOULD be taking money from congress. Where does the bulk of campaign money come from... us citizens? NO!!! Corporate slush via PAC's, unions and the uber wealthy that prosper from those corporations is where the bulk of campaign money comes from.. The only way we can make congress honest is to take away the impetus to BE greedy. Can't be greedy if there's no money allowed to come in except for your $100 and my $100. Do you not think this would make for a much more fair and representative electioral process?

I understand completely what you are saying.

But think about it....

You are saying .......

"we can not trust congress to do the right thing with corporate money, so lets go after the corporations and make sure they dont have enough money to give to congress."

If a babysitter let your 3 year old draw on your wall with crayons.....would you replace the babysitter or chop of the fingers of the three year old so he cant hold crayons?

I dont know...but to me it seems a bit bass ackwards.

who gives them the power?

Their bought cronies in congress and on regulatory boards. See, it goes round and round. Why do you think Enron lobbied so hard for GW Bush, for example? It's because they knew his palm was so greased that they could rape California and get away with it (well, almost).

Let's get all money out of government that does not come from INDIVIDUAL citizens. And let's cap that at $100 dollars so that everyone can have a say (that would be my plan). That is what OWS wants.

Bullshit. The House is always a problem for you when the Left is not in control. If anything is bought and paid for, it's you. Not a Peep now. :eusa_shhh: I won't tell if you won't. It's our secret. :eusa_shhh: :eusa_whistle: :lol:

"we can not trust congress to do the right thing with corporate money, so lets go after the corporations and make sure they dont have enough money to give to congress."

No, what I'm saying is that corporations are not people and they never should have been designated as such.. We need to amend that clause and make it to where NO GROUP - only individual actual people can donate, and we cap that amount low enough that anyone can donate. This isn't taking anything away from the corps. Corps are made up of people, and THEY can donate to whomever they choose. No lobbyists, no "special interests", no more earmarks.

And no, we cannot trust congress to do the right thing because they rely on corporate bribery to even exist as politicians. And we certainly can't trust the corporations to do the rigth thing, as they've been stacking the deck against us for decades. Cut 'em both off!!!

Back asswards? Seems the only way forward to me. How would you do it?

Last edited:

No, what I'm saying is that corporations are not people and they never should have been designated as such.. We need to amend that clause and make it to where NO GROUP - only individual actual people can donate, and we cap that amount low enough that anyone can donate. This isn't taking anything away from the corps. Corps are made up of people, and THEY can donate to whomever they choose. No lobbyists, no "special interests", no more earmarks.

And no, we cannot trust congress to do the right thing because they rely on corporate bribery to even exist as politicians. And we certainly can't trust the corporations to do the rigth thing, as they've been stacking the deck against us for decades. Cut 'em both off!!!

Back asswards? Seems the only way forward to me. How would you do it?

I dont get it. You are agreeing with me.
So I again say.....why are they protesting wall street? Wall street is not breaking any law.
Why arent they protesting congress and the SCOTUS if they want the laws changed and if they want congress to act more ethically?

Which is what I have been saying all along.

No...you are not protesting both.
You personally may be...

But all of the signs and slogans are anti corporations......and the locations are anywhere BUT washington.

Know your cause before you try to debate it.

Yes, we are. I have been to the protests many times. They are not protesting corporations, but corporate greed and power. There is a difference.

Tell that to the companies who have been hurt. They are calling for a boycott of Black Friday. That includes ALL corporations.
Forum Post: BBF- Boycott Black Friday | OccupyWallSt.org

They are asking people to close their accounts on bank transfer day. That includes ALL banks.Support grows for 'Bank Transfer Day' | abc30.com

Perhaps you didn't get the memo?

No...you are not protesting both.
You personally may be...

But all of the signs and slogans are anti corporations......and the locations are anywhere BUT washington.

Know your cause before you try to debate it.

Yes, we are. I have been to the protests many times. They are not protesting corporations, but corporate greed and power. There is a difference.

Tell that to the companies who have been hurt. They are calling for a boycott of Black Friday. That includes ALL corporations.
Forum Post: BBF- Boycott Black Friday | OccupyWallSt.org

They are asking people to close their accounts on bank transfer day. That includes ALL banks.Support grows for 'Bank Transfer Day' | abc30.com

Perhaps you didn't get the memo?

Idiots thinking without thought of consequence. They should all tear up their Credit Cards, and try living Debt free for a time.

Forum List

Back