OWS' 99%ers paid 10% in taxes while 1%ers paid 23.3%!!!

You're right, its not fair.

It's not fair that you left out how much of the wealth the top 1% own compared to the 99%.

Once you include those numbers, what is "fair" should become a bit clearer.

When does the jealousy and envy end with the left?
The problem with that moronic bullshit is the Left ARE the wealthy!!! That's right! The Left are more financially successful than the lazy slackers on the Right!!!

So why would the Left be jealous of themselves??? :cuckoo:

The top 1% take home 25% of the total income. If they're only paying 23.3% of the total taxes, then they are undertaxed.

YES THE GREEDY with class envy always favor that route.

I call it lack of character,.

LOL what "route"? All I'm saying is that if the OP's figure is correct, then the 1% are paying a lower percentage of total tax revenues than their percentage of total income. That obviously makes them undertaxed even if you believe in a flat tax, which of course I don't. I believe in a progressive tax, which means they're even MORE undertaxed. Or I suppose you could argue that it means the rest of us are OVERtaxed, but given the size of the deficit that's harder to maintain.

The common right-wing argument that "the richest X% of the people pay Y% of the taxes" always seems to skip providing just how much of the nation's income those richest X% of the people take home. Without that, all you have is the sound of one hand clapping.
I dont care what argument is made. All citizens should pay the same rate. You can exempt
all income below the poverty line.

Currently a family of 5 making 50k a year qualify for welfare. Wake up damn.............

How about currently a family of 4 making 44k or less qualifying for welfare?

But there isnt a problem we just need to make the other poor bastard pay your fucking way.

No matter what you hear from the biased press in their totally unsupported by facts love feast with the phrase "99%ers" the IRS reports of the ACTUAL composition of who paid what and how many there were HERE are the FACTS from 2008 tax returns of individuals.

Total % of Income % of Taxes paid % of
Tax returns of Returns returns in(billion) Income to IRS income
the "99%ers" 141,551,657 99.4% $6,794 82.2% $688 10.14%
The "1% ers" 898,912 0.6% $1,468 17.8% $342 23.35%

SOI Tax Stats - Individual Statistical Tables by Size of Adjusted Gross Income

In summary the "1%ers" paid 23% of their income while the 99%ers paid 10%... IS THAT FAIR???

This statement is absolutely false. To start with the top earners in this country report their income as capital gains which carries a tax of only 15%, then they take numerous tax breaks such as reporting every meal they eat out as a business expense or donating their old clothes to charity taking a dollar for dollar tax break and many others. As a result the effective tax rate for the top 2% of earners is only about 1% to 2% and many pay nothing at all.
On top of this of the wall street corporations that earn the top 2% their money, 66% pay nothing in taxes as of 2005 (the most recent data available), they do this by shifting their earnings to overseas tax havens like the Cayman islands (where, for example, there is one small dilapidated building that, on paper only, houses more than 19,000 U.S. companies)
As a result the vast majority of the taxes that actually get paid are paid by the earners in the 40th to the 75 percentile while top earners pay next to nothing.

You wrote" Does anyone think this is going to help anything?? Seriously?? What do you think that 1% is going to do???"

Seriously... and I mean it..
What Do you think people that make say $1 million and pay state,local,federal and property taxes (about 50%..) do with the remaining $500,000?
A) They spend ALL of it?
If they do what? housing, clothes,cars,yachts,jets?
If they do what happens to the $$ spent on those items? They surely don't do their
own gardening! They don't fly their own jets or captain their own yatchts!
B) If the spend half of it what happens to the other half?
1) they bury it their back yard?
2) They hide under their mattresses?
3) Just what do they do with that other half it they don't spend it?

Seriously just tell me what happens!

I dont care what argument is made. All citizens should pay the same rate.

If they were, then the 1% would be paying 25% of the taxes, not 23.3%. It's simple math. They're under taxed, obviously.

Actually, I just noticed something else, speaking of simple math. If 1% of the population pays 23.3% of the taxes, and 99% pay 10%, that totals 33.3%. Who pays the other 66.7%?

I dont care what argument is made. All citizens should pay the same rate.

If they were, then the 1% would be paying 25% of the taxes, not 23.3%. It's simple math. They're under taxed, obviously.

Actually, I just noticed something else, speaking of simple math. If 1% of the population pays 23.3% of the taxes, and 99% pay 10%, that totals 33.3%. Who pays the other 66.7%?

You are showing how ignorant you really are

No matter what you hear from the biased press in their totally unsupported by facts love feast with the phrase "99%ers" the IRS reports of the ACTUAL composition of who paid what and how many there were HERE are the FACTS from 2008 tax returns of individuals.

Total % of Income % of Taxes paid % of
Tax returns of Returns returns in(billion) Income to IRS income
the "99%ers" 141,551,657 99.4% $6,794 82.2% $688 10.14%
The "1% ers" 898,912 0.6% $1,468 17.8% $342 23.35%

SOI Tax Stats - Individual Statistical Tables by Size of Adjusted Gross Income

In summary the "1%ers" paid 23% of their income while the 99%ers paid 10%... IS THAT FAIR???

Of course not. The 1% should be paying far more; that would be fair.

you wrote"This statement is absolutely false."?
Hey you need to download the spreadsheet as I did and deal with the FACTS which is what I did!
This is the total returns idiot!
IRS isn't lying like you do evidently!
THE facts are 1% of the returns PAID 23% of their taxable income where it came from how they did it is totally irrelevant! The FACT is they $342 billion of their $1.4 trillion TAXABLE income!
What is wrong with just simply recognize FACTS ARE FACTS!
The "1%" pay 50% more then the 99%!

You are evidently stupid enough to think those filthy wealthy bury their wealth in the backyard, or in their mattresses!

What pray tell does an idiot think they do with the money they don't spend?

DUH!!!!!
CLUE: THEY INVEST!!!!!

Of course. This thread is 100% accurate. I said it before: This movement isn't about fairness. It isn't about survival. It's about envy.

Locally, we had the newspaper run an article on an OWS-Charleston group, and they whined about working at a bowling alley without fair pay or health insurance (yeah, I know, don't laugh). They said "we are barely scraping by, and plan to go to NYC next week for the Wall Street protest".

Now, they are "scraping" by, but can afford a week off work and a trip to New York City. I can't afford to take a week off and live in NYC for a week doing nothing. Damn filthy whiners.

Forum List

Back