Owen MG better than the Thompson?

harmonica

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2017
......I'm reading about WW2 in New Guinea ...the book states the Aussies liked the Aussie Owen MG better than the Tommy for reliability in the jungle environment
....of course they loved the Tommy when they got it....the Japanese were mostly armed with bolt action rifles, so in jungle and/or night warfare you can see the obvious, significant advantage of the MG with a large round
The Australian-designed Owen submachine gun is a weapon with quite a story behind it. The Owen is arguably the best subgun used during WWII,
Owen SMG
Owen_Gun.jpg

Must have been awkward in the jungle with that top load magazine. The U.S. M-3 submachine gun aka "grease gun" would have been more effective not to mention the Thompson.

Following initial price adjustments, the contract price for each M3 submachine gun, less the bolt assembly, was set at $18.36. Production of the bolt was subcontracted to the Buffalo Arms Co. at a price of $2.58, which brought the total per-unit cost of an M3 to $20.94. This was about half the cost of the simplified M1A1 Thompson.

The M3 and M3A1

Following initial price adjustments, the contract price for each M3 submachine gun, less the bolt assembly, was set at $18.36. Production of the bolt was subcontracted to the Buffalo Arms Co. at a price of $2.58, which brought the total per-unit cost of an M3 to $20.94. This was about half the cost of the simplified M1A1 Thompson.

The M3 and M3A1
it looks like it, also
....if it works in combat--good

The M3 and M3A1
They didn't call it the "grease gun" for nothing. It never pretended to be an accurate firearm but it could put out potent .45 rounds under any condition. I believe the M-3 was used well up to the Vietnam war.

The M3 and M3A1
They didn't call it the "grease gun" for nothing. It never pretended to be an accurate firearm but it could put out potent .45 rounds under any condition. I believe the M-3 was used well up to the Vietnam war.
....from my readings, at night/ambushes/jungle/etc, you want fire superiority ---so accuracy could be secondary to firepower

The M3 and M3A1
....from my readings, at night/ambushes/jungle/etc, you want fire superiority ---so accuracy could be secondary to firepower
You have to consider the knockdown power of the heavy .45 in close combat jungle warfare vs the anemic 9mm. I hate to hijack the post but the basis for the initial ATF search warrant on the Waco Branch Dividians revolved around the (legal) brochures showing how to work on antique rusty WW2 junk like the Owen.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back