Overrun By illegals and now this

Thank you Bush admin. You are doing an outstanding job.

1-20-09 can't come fast enough!

Perhaps your to stupid to have read the article. This started in 1990. This sort of garbage goes on all the time throughout all Presidents tenures. Long before Bush was President a Filipino Sailor died while on active duty stationed in the States. He had joined during the time [prior to 1984] when the Navy recruited IN the Philippines, he was not a US citizen and his wife was not either. INS ruled that since he had not entered the Country under a Visa nor had his wife, she was to be deported with in 2 weeks of his death. Only the intervention of Congress prevented her expulsion from the Country.

Thank you Bush admin. You are doing an outstanding job.

1-20-09 can't come fast enough!

This one's REALLY grasping for straws. NO ONE on either side of the aisle has or will touch the issue of illegal immigration.

Bush's stance on illegal immigration is about as liberal as it gets, and he hardly had anything to do with the creation of the bureaucracy that is the US government.

This one's REALLY grasping for straws. NO ONE on either side of the aisle has or will touch the issue of illegal immigration.

God forbid they get labelled a 'racist' for wanting to uphold the federal LAWS, huh?

Bush's stance on illegal immigration is about as liberal as it gets, and he hardly had anything to do with the creation of the bureaucracy that is the US government.

Yes, but right NOW, he's the president. Americans are looking to HIM right now, to solve the issue. He actually ADVOCATES that illegals get amnesty, but talks about walls and fences and shit.

While it may not be fair to blame him completely, it sure does rest on his shoulders at THIS point.

And need I remind everyone who was president in 1990, when RGS says this all started?

God forbid they get labelled a 'racist' for wanting to uphold the federal LAWS, huh?

Yes, but right NOW, he's the president. Americans are looking to HIM right now, to solve the issue. He actually ADVOCATES that illegals get amnesty, but talks about walls and fences and shit.

While it may not be fair to blame him completely, it sure does rest on his shoulders at THIS point.

And need I remind everyone who was president in 1990, when RGS says this all started?

This didn't start in 1990. The US war with Mexico in 1846 was over a border dispute. No REAL effort has been made by any President/administration nor Congress to enforce our Southern border since it was established.

Oh, and it is Congress's responsibility to legislate, not the President's.

So the president should just sit on his ass and play politics, while a majority of the country wants something DONE about it?

He represents us. He OUGHT to be going to congress and telling them to fucking ACT on it. Or his administration could draft their own legislation.

After 9/11, how could any president justify allowing illegal immigrants to stay in this country? How can he be sure ANY of them are not part of a terrorist group? We're not just talking about Mexicans, we're talking about ALL illegals.

The only reason he wants them to stay, is because the corporate lobby pressure on him and congress to keep them here is too great. It's about MONEY. Our national security is being sold out to corporate desires.

If another 9/11 happens and it happens to be illegal immigrants involved, the blood will be on the hands of congress and the administration for not KICKING THEM THE FUCK OUT.

So the president should just sit on his ass and play politics, while a majority of the country wants something DONE about it?

He represents us. He OUGHT to be going to congress and telling them to fucking ACT on it. Or his administration could draft their own legislation.

After 9/11, how could any president justify allowing illegal immigrants to stay in this country? How can he be sure ANY of them are not part of a terrorist group? We're not just talking about Mexicans, we're talking about ALL illegals.

The only reason he wants them to stay, is because the corporate lobby pressure on him and congress to keep them here is too great. It's about MONEY. Our national security is being sold out to corporate desires.

If another 9/11 happens and it happens to be illegal immigrants involved, the blood will be on the hands of congress and the administration for not KICKING THEM THE FUCK OUT.

Stop trying to play the black or white only argument, or put words in my mouth. The lack of a frothing at the mouth indictment of the President does not mean I support his stance or hold to the opposite, entirely blameless extreme.

The President DID try to do something. He does not have the support of his party nor his constituents on the topic so it failed.

I blame Congress and the President equally for not representing the will of the majority in favor of pandering for votes.

In fact, I don't see a need for any new legislation. I see a need to enforce the laws we already have.

The President DID try to do something. He does not have the support of his party nor his constituents on the topic so it failed.

He tried to pave the way for their citizenship via amnesty, correct?

This is the only thing I don't agree with. They should be deported, and if they want to become US citizens, they can try again and do it LEGALLY, just like anyone else.

We have a right to our own security through enforcement of our borders.

He tried to pave the way for their citizenship via amnesty, correct?

This is the only thing I don't agree with. They should be deported, and if they want to become US citizens, they can try again and do it LEGALLY, just like anyone else.

We have a right to our own security through enforcement of our borders.

We basically are in agreement. I will add that I am all in favor of nailing the people who hire illegals hard enough to the wall that it hurts and makes using illegals an extremely costly and ineffective way to do business.

We basically are in agreement. I will add that I am all in favor of nailing the people who hire illegals hard enough to the wall that it hurts and makes using illegals an extremely costly and ineffective way to do business.

How do you ever expect that to happen though, when the corporations that want to, and have, hired these illegals, are in direct cahoots with the people in government that are allowing them to do so?

The check and balance is gone there. The people of the US and their security is sold out to corporate America. I wish I could say this was the one and only instance of such a thing ever happening in this country, but you and I both know it isn't.

What the fuck is happening to this country?

How do you ever expect that to happen though, when the corporations that want to, and have, hired these illegals, are in direct cahoots with the people in government that are allowing them to do so?

The check and balance is gone there. The people of the US and their security is sold out to corporate America. I wish I could say this was the one and only instance of such a thing ever happening in this country, but you and I both know it isn't.

On this issue neither party wants to do anything, both are equally guilty. The Republicans because of business and the Democrats for "other" reasons. All I can say is that in the end we did have a voice, the amnesty was on a fast track as well as opening a flood gate at the border. It failed because the people let BOTH parties know that if it passed those in Congress would lose their seats.

But just look at this board for why we have not sealed our borders. The excuses for illegals come in many forms.

The problem is, I don't see the corporations as being the guilty ones so much as the small and/or individual, unscrupulous business owners.

The whole issue from top to bottom is a classic example of a government's elected officials not representing the wishes of the people who elected them. On this issue in particular, it's blatant and right in our faces.

Paulitics wrote:

That's what happens when you have a toady people, and a government on the take!

This didn't start in 1990. The US war with Mexico in 1846 was over a border dispute. No REAL effort has been made by any President/administration nor Congress to enforce our Southern border since it was established.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...and the fact that Baby Bush has vetoed anything of worth and there's no override yet?

The problem is, I don't see the corporations as being the guilty ones so much as the small and/or individual, unscrupulous business owners.

The whole issue from top to bottom is a classic example of a government's elected officials not representing the wishes of the people who elected them. On this issue in particular, it's blatant and right in our faces.

Except there AREN'T any clear wishes of "the people". This fantasy you have that most of the country is somehow up in arms over the immigration situation is a fallacy. The reality is that nothing's changed in... well, pretty much forever. Should we enforce the rules as exist? Absolutey. But I find that government never does that. It goes overboard so it can pretend to do something, same as they do with guns or smoking or whatever issue it decides is the flavor du jour.

CNN/Opinion Research Corporation Poll. June 22-24, 2007. N=1,029 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"As you may know, the U.S. Senate has been considering a bill to change the way the government handles the issue of illegal immigration. Based on what you have read or heard about all the proposals in the Senate immigration bill, do you favor or oppose that bill?" If oppose: "Do you oppose the Senate immigration bill MOSTLY because you think it goes too far toward helping illegal immigrants, or MOSTLY because it does not go far enough toward helping illegal immigrants?"

Favor 30%

OPPOSE:Goes Too Far 28%

OPPOSE: Doesn't Go Far Enough 15%

OPPOSE:Other Reason/Unsure Why 4%

Unsure 22%

http://www.pollingreport.com/immigration.htm

As for the situation relayed in the OP. Fact: Yes, the situation started under Daddy Bush. Fact: This administration and its CIS have discretion in terms of how this couple's case is treated. If it were up to me, I'd say they acted in good faith. They've been good "Americans". Leave them alone.

Now, you want to hear another really stupid "immigration story". My husband used to go to this guy for haircuts. Nice guy. Born in Italy. Moved here when he was about 3 years old with his family. Was a legal permanent resident and didn't even speak Italian. Just never got around to applying for citizenship, though he paid his taxes and worked legally as a PR. He spoke only English, mind you. What happens? The poor guy is caught with some pot. "Deported" to Italy.... couldn't even speak the language there. Didn't know anyone there.

I thought that was kind of goofy.

Forum List

Back