overall white people don't have it in them to hire the best person for the job

Liberal New York restaurant owners won't hire black people? Who knew? What's next no gays or actors?

I'm certainly not encouraging anyone to drop their heritage. But these labels only cause bitterness & division. No one should refer to themselves as 'African Americans','Asian Americans', or 'Irish Americans' etc. etc... People should just refer to themselves as Americans instead. Our Government should no longer sanction these labels. It's time for us to evolve and get past that.

Why isn't this sentiment heard for the irish-american, italian-american, german-american, et. al. labels? Only a racist would be bitter over an accurate label used to describe others.

Not only are a circus barker, but a seemingly racist one at that. Keep the hits coming.

Stop being so bitter & ignorant.

Liberal New York restaurant owners won't hire black people? Who knew? What's next no gays or actors?

I think most people who go out for a fine dining experience just don't want to be served by Jay Z or Big L...

I think the would prefer Wayne Brady..

Last edited:
If they get my order right, bring everything at the proper time and are helpful without joining the dinner conversation the rest doesn't matter to me.

I have never seen a black waiter at a high end restaurant. The manner and dress of a professional waiter just screams House N***er. It's not that such a restaurant wouldn't hire a black waiter. None would aspire to that degree of professionalism which comes mainly (from what I have seen) from european men.

I was supposed to take anything in this thread seriously?

<picks jaw off floor>

You are the manager. You have two candidates for a waiter position, one white one black. Waiters are notoriously unreliable anyway. If the guy craps out you'll have to fire him.
If you fire the white guy he won't be happy, badmouth you to his friends and be a memory in 10 days.
If you fire the black guy he wont be happy, badmouth you to his friends and sue you for racial discrimination.

Which one do you hire?
Neither. The white guy will be on his cell fighting with his gf ("or partner":eusa_shhh:).
The black guy will be on the cell trying to find someone to make bail for a family member or some not so good "broz" might do a drive by on your business while he B werkin.

Hire an undocumented Latino. They'll take all of the overtime you can give, be there even under an air raid or hurricane, work impeccably clean and only consider using a phone on break "con permiso" and no danger of a workman's comp or lawsuit issues. If he(or she) gets hurt on the job take them to the ER and carry your checkbook.
Just make sure the biz has a back door and watch out for imigras.

I have never seen a black waiter at a high end restaurant. The manner and dress of a professional waiter just screams House N***er. It's not that such a restaurant wouldn't hire a black waiter. None would aspire to that degree of professionalism which comes mainly (from what I have seen) from european men.

Waits for it....

I'm wondering if those upscale restaurants took into consideration the Caribbean and Ebonics accents of their black applicants. I'm guessing in an upscale New York restaurant elocution might be a BIG factor in hiring decisions.

For God fucking sake, the OP started off with plenty of dubiousness to it to criticize, but you had to come right out with the stupidest and most racist thing you could possibly dream up! Fucking idiot, shut up. Just shut the fuck up, and stop putting bad face on what would otherwise be perfectly valid positions if not for the fact that we had to become associated with mind filth like you.

Last edited:
You are the manager. You have two candidates for a waiter position, one white one black. Waiters are notoriously unreliable anyway. If the guy craps out you'll have to fire him.
If you fire the white guy he won't be happy, badmouth you to his friends and be a memory in 10 days.
If you fire the black guy he wont be happy, badmouth you to his friends and sue you for racial discrimination.

Which one do you hire?

So the solution to avoid a false appearance of racial discrimination is to commit actual racial discrimination? :cuckoo:

Also, you clearly don't know what you're talking about in regards to the restaurant industry and professional servers. Yes, there are alot of duds. But, especially in the high end places that were referenced in the experiment, you find highly qualified and skilled workers who, quite honestly, are better at their jobs than you probably are at yours, and who are far better at their jobs than most people would even imagine was possible.

I'm wondering if those upscale restaurants took into consideration the Caribbean and Ebonics accents of their black applicants. I'm guessing in an upscale New York restaurant elocution might be a BIG factor in hiring decisions.

For God fucking sake, the OP started off with plenty of dubiousness to it to criticize, but you had to come right out with the stupidest and most racist thing you could possibly dream up! Fucking idiot, shut up. Just shut the fuck up, and stop putting bad face on what would otherwise be perfectly valid positions if not for the fact that we had to become associated with mind filth like you.

9 times out of 10 you can tell if a phone caller is black simply by how they speak. "Let me axe you dis..." is alive and well, even in NY. Why is it racist to acknowledge that fact? And do you think people who are paying $100 a plate want to hear it?

Racial Bias Seen in Hiring of Waiters - NYTimes.com

http://www.lfuchrc.org/publications/publications/article.pdf

studies continue to show overall white people dont have it in them. A white high school graduate under 25 has a better chance than black college graduate at finding a job.

Actually it is REPUBLICANS that don't have it in them to hire the best person for the job. There is a new movie coming out about McCain/Palin v Obama/Biden 2008 and it shows how the GOP didn't even take the time to vet Palin before nominating her.

And Bush wasn't any better of a choice than Palin. Actually she would have produced the exact same results as Bush because they answer to the same master. They are just figureheads. No different on any position you can think of.

The best GOP figurehead was Reagan. Because he convinced the middle class that he was good, but behind the scenes his masters were starting a war on the American middle class. The start of NAFTA, Iraq/Afgan/Iran problems, breaking unions, illegals coming into the country. We just didn't know it at the time.

Or the GOP would even nominate Herman Cain, Michelle Bachmann or Newt or Rick Perry. The old Mitt Romney MAYBE but not the one that flip flopped into basically 4 more years of Bush.

The applicants were sent to Manhattan restaurants.

Manhattan. Which is mostly white.

I notice they did not send the applicants to the Bronx.

Study FAIL.
Sounds like you're suggesting that blacks stay in their place....in the Bronx.

....interesting.

That is not what I am saying. I am saying I bet the white applicants would have as difficult time getting hired in the Bronx as the blacks did in Manhattan.

The study is flawed because it seeks to confirm bias in one direction.

They did not attempt to determine if the opposite effect occurs in black neighborhoods.

Which one do you hire?
Neither. The white guy will be on his cell fighting with his gf ("or partner":eusa_shhh:).
The black guy will be on the cell trying to find someone to make bail for a family member or some not so good "broz" might do a drive by on your business while he B werkin.

Hire an undocumented Latino. They'll take all of the overtime you can give, be there even under an air raid or hurricane, work impeccably clean and only consider using a phone on break "con permiso" and no danger of a workman's comp or lawsuit issues. If he(or she) gets hurt on the job take them to the ER and carry your checkbook.
Just make sure the biz has a back door and watch out for imigras.

The latino will not wash his hands after wiping his ass and make all your customers sick with e-coli. The resulting lawsuits will bankrupt you.

I hate to point out the obvious here but since I'm in the restaurant business I will.

As a manager you're trying to hire someone who after being trained actually stays and does the job for as long a period of time as possible. Hiring someone who has a graduate degree will most likely result in wasting your time training someone who will only stay at the job you've given them until something in their field opens up at which time they are gone with no notice. I'm not looking for someone who's overqualified who works for me for a couple months and then leaves...I'm looking for someone who stays with me for YEARS so I don't have to spend more money to retrain another employee.

You did not read the opening post link. It says nothing about the applicants having graduate degrees.

It also says the black and white applicants had similar resumes.

Of course you dont see it, you're white, so your outlook would be different than someone elses of a different race wouldnt it? AA is promoting hiring minorities, If Poles or Italians were a minority in this country they would fit within the program. Its not Affirmative African Action.

You're making an assumption. I'm an anonymous entity on a forum. White, am I? Are you sure?

Yes I made an assumption, But that is typically the arguement whites bring out speaking about why they oppose AA. AA is not specifically for African Americans. That assumption has nothing to do with the rest of my post which you chose to ignore because assumptions, I guess, are a huge deal to you. :doubt:

AA, like some unions, once had a nominal purpose that no longer applies in most instances. Overall, I think minorities have far better opportunities than did their fathers or grandfathers.
It is a fact that no one will ever be able to completely suppress racism or biases based on other criteria. No government will ever completely legislate something that is so basic to human nature into oblivion. That is a fact.
There all too many instances, though, where the "oppressed minorities" are excused for behavior that would be viewed as racist of biased if exhibited by a person of another race. Equality should be applied, well...equally across the board.

Forum List

Back