CDZ Overall the 21st Century is Disappointing, But It Has Exceptions

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
No flying cars, world still on the brink of global nuclear war, crime still an issue, professional sports lost in a political quagmire.

But on the other side, I just had a Facebook message exchange with a son in Kenya, listened to another son singing in a nightclub in Cambodia, and Skyped friends in Ireland.

No flying cars, world still on the brink of global nuclear war, crime still an issue, professional sports lost in a political quagmire.

But on the other side, I just had a Facebook message exchange with a son in Kenya, listened to another son singing in a nightclub in Cambodia, and Skyped friends in Ireland.

The ease of communication is really the biggest thing so far this century. That and I can order basically anything on Amazon and have it sitting on my stoop within 1-3 days.

Great meme I found:

damagereport.jpg

What for you rises to the level of contributory to the merit of or dissatisfaction with "the 21st century, overall" which, BTW, is not anywhere near ended thus not credibly evaluable, is what it is. I'm not going to pass judgement on the nature and scope of your list. I'll say only that of those four things -- the others you noted being purely personal in nature, thus ingermane to anyone other than you and your kids and friends -- only two rise, for me, to the level of meriting inclusion on a list of things that may make the 21st century turn out, overall, to be disappointing or not.

What for you rises to the level of contributory to the merit of or dissatisfaction with "the 21st century, overall" which, BTW, is not anywhere near ended thus not credibly evaluable, is what it is. I'm not going to pass judgement on the nature and scope of your list. I'll say only that of those four things -- the others you noted being purely personal in nature, thus ingermane to anyone other than you and your kids and friends -- only two rise, for me, to the level of meriting inclusion on a list of things that may make the 21st century turn out, overall, to be disappointing or not.
Between 1950 - 1980 there is a long list of self made 1%ers.

From 1980 to present it’s a very short list and they are all dot coms.

21st century sucks.

21st century sucks.

Surely you aren't serious? Dude, you are free to think whatever you want, but before you start making claims like that, you need check some credible facts before you utter that foolishness in public, to say nothing of actually relying on what you "think" be so.....To wit....

Who constitutes the 1% if you just look at the U.S.? Well, it takes an income of about $450,000 in adjusted gross income (AGI) to make the cut. (That is just a national average. In some parts of the country it's higher, in others lower, a lot lower in some instances.) And to rank amongst the highest 1% of Americans by wealth? That requires net assets of more than $7 million, based on the latest Federal Reserve figures. (Source)

How many people is that on an income basis for 2017? Somewhere around 3.5M households. In 2011, more than half of one-percenters made $344,000 to $500,000. That was about 1.4M people out of a total of about 2.8M.

That means that between 2011 and 2017, we added around 0.75M new one-percenters. That's a long list by my reckoning and I find no basis for thinking those people are predominantly inheritors of wealth/income.

I realize not everyone is a one-percenter, but I realize too that being in the one-percent is also very achievable, particularly on an income basis. From there all it takes is a bit of judicious spending, investing and saving.

If you feel like doing the population research, you can calculate the 2010 quantity of one-percenters and comes up with an approximation of how many more or fewer there were from 2010 to 2011.

21st century sucks.

Surely you aren't serious? Dude, you are free to think whatever you want, but before you start making claims like that, you need check some credible facts before you utter that foolishness in public, to say nothing of actually relying on what you "think" be so.....To wit....

Who constitutes the 1% if you just look at the U.S.? Well, it takes an income of about $450,000 in adjusted gross income (AGI) to make the cut. (That is just a national average. In some parts of the country it's higher, in others lower, a lot lower in some instances.) And to rank amongst the highest 1% of Americans by wealth? That requires net assets of more than $7 million, based on the latest Federal Reserve figures. (Source)

How many people is that on an income basis for 2017? Somewhere around 3.5M households. In 2011, more than half of one-percenters made $344,000 to $500,000. That was about 1.4M people out of a total of about 2.8M.

That means that between 2011 and 2017, we added around 0.75M new one-percenters. That's a long list by my reckoning and I find no basis for thinking those people are predominantly inheritors of wealth/income.

I realize not everyone is a one-percenter, but I realize too that being in the one-percent is also very achievable, particularly on an income basis. From there all it takes is a bit of judicious spending, investing and saving.

If you feel like doing the population research, you can calculate the 2010 quantity of one-percenters and comes up with an approximation of how many more or fewer there were from 2010 to 2011.

I said self made. Daddy passing his wealth to 4 kids was not in my discussion.

21st century sucks.

Did you truly not read what I wrote? Did you just look at the picture and hit "Reply?"
How many people is that on an income basis for 2017? Somewhere around 3.5M households. In 2011, more than half of one-percenters made $344,000 to $500,000. That was about 1.4M people out of a total of about 2.8M. That means that between 2011 and 2017, we added around 0.75M new one-percenters. That's a long list by my reckoning and I find no basis for thinking those people are predominantly inheritors of wealth/income.
If you have some credible evidence that indicates some three-quarters of a million people between 2011 and 2017 inherited their way into $500K/year incomes, by all means, do share.

I hear you. On one hand I am optimistic this global communication thing will make us realize folks in Cambodia mostly want to be doing similar things to folks in Wichita and bring us together. On the other I see soo much hatred online and somehow I think race relations are worse than before we had a pretty boring black president.

I hear you. On one hand I am optimistic this global communication thing will make us realize folks in Cambodia mostly want to be doing similar things to folks in Wichita and bring us together. On the other I see soo much hatred online and somehow I think race relations are worse than before we had a pretty boring black president.
In Kenya they are murdering each other because they are in another tribe.

Same color skin, same economic status. People are inherently evil and use excuses to commit evil. Sometimes that excuse is skin color, sometimes what tribe you belong to, sometimes what gang you belong to, etc etc.

21st century sucks.

Did you truly not read what I wrote? Did you just look at the picture and hit "Reply?"
How many people is that on an income basis for 2017? Somewhere around 3.5M households. In 2011, more than half of one-percenters made $344,000 to $500,000. That was about 1.4M people out of a total of about 2.8M. That means that between 2011 and 2017, we added around 0.75M new one-percenters. That's a long list by my reckoning and I find no basis for thinking those people are predominantly inheritors of wealth/income.
If you have some credible evidence that indicates some three-quarters of a million people between 2011 and 2017 inherited their way into $500K/year incomes, by all means, do share.
What we have is a failure to communicate.
upload_2017-10-11_6-27-46.png

In Kenya they are murdering each other because they are in another tribe.

Same color skin, same economic status. People are inherently evil and use excuses to commit evil. Sometimes that excuse is skin color, sometimes what tribe you belong to, sometimes what gang you belong to, etc etc.

Don't forget what version of Christian you are being cause for wars.

Forum List

Back