Over There

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
I just watched the premier of this tonight, and I must say that it was well made and it was somewhat more realistic than I expected in many respects. However, it still seems like it's an exaggeration of how bad it is over there. If I'm wrong, somebody tell me, but from what I've head, the idea that newly activated reservist privates and PFCs would a) almost certainly lose someone within the first week and b) be sent to be the only infantry at a mosque standoff their first day is a bit outlandish. I don't know if it's just for drama or if it's more libs who truly think that a tour in Iraq is the desert version of a jungle recon tour in 'Nam.

Anybody else see this? Am I wrong? Thoughts? Input? Opinions?

Hobbit said:
I just watched the premier of this tonight, and I must say that it was well made and it was somewhat more realistic than I expected in many respects. However, it still seems like it's an exaggeration of how bad it is over there. If I'm wrong, somebody tell me, but from what I've head, the idea that newly activated reservist privates and PFCs would a) almost certainly lose someone within the first week and b) be sent to be the only infantry at a mosque standoff their first day is a bit outlandish. I don't know if it's just for drama or if it's more libs who truly think that a tour in Iraq is the desert version of a jungle recon tour in 'Nam.

Anybody else see this? Am I wrong? Thoughts? Input? Opinions?
Makes for great drama...but then what does it have to do with what is really going on? From those I've talked to who got to preview it, they liked it ok once they suspended their belief (like most Hollywood stuff they see). As you have pointed out, new troops in country are not sent right into combat on day one of their arrival. Artistic license I guess.

From USA Today:

Some veterans see 'good'; some see 'misperceptions'

LOS ANGELES — A group of Iraq war veterans offered a review of FX's Over There (premieres July 27): It's a good show, but a number of details are inaccurate.

Four veterans of Iraq, now assigned to the U.S. Army's Santa Monica, Calif., recruiting station, watched the first two episodes Saturday. (Related story: TV goes to war in Iraq)

"It was pretty good, pretty interesting. But there were some misperceptions about the stuff we'd do," said Staff Sgt. Juan Carmona, 26, who hails from Puerto Rico and served in a field artillery unit at the start of the war. He'll watch again.

The soldiers appeared drawn in by the drama of scenes, such as a car bomb at a checkpoint. They took issue with episodic details, such as the movements and shooting practices of the Army unit; the operation of the checkpoint; vehicle movements, especially a truck pulling over so far to the roadside that it risked hitting a mine; the need for more soldiers in a unit; and the delay in informing a soldier's wife of his injury — and by phone, not in person.

All said the soldiers were too clean in the pilot. Producers are adjusting that.

There were laughs, as when a tough-guy soldier talks about "capping" an enemy, and nods of recognition when a sergeant uses a vehicle door mirror to shave; a soldier needs to go to the bathroom during combat; another hopes to become a professional singer; and troops talk of pregnant wives and young children back home.

"It's bringing flashbacks," said Sgt. David Garcia, 23, who worked in water purification in Iraq, when he saw a soldier using bottled water to brush his teeth. Garcia, a reservist who grew up in Inglewood, Calif., said he could relate to the "don't mess" attitude of Smoke, an Over There soldier who grew up in nearby Compton.

Sgt. Robert Mason, 33, of Bennington, Vt., who went to Iraq in 2003, said Over There had the most accurate presentation he has seen of troops' uniforms. Troops had the right weapons, too.

But the welder/machinist thought the soldiers were too disorganized. "Our soldiers are trained much better. Things are much more organized."

Cpl. Shelby Dreier, 21, of St. Joseph, Mo., who saw action twice during four months of infantry service in Iraq last year, said the combat focus left out soldiers' other activities, such as construction or just throwing a Frisbee with Iraqi children. But Dreier said he understands the dramatic pull of "blood and killing."

"As a show, it's good," he says. As for the depiction of soldiers' lives, "it's typical."

Co-creator Steven Bochco says Over There is trying to capture the spirit of war, not the exact detail. "You have to take license here and there."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2005-07-17-over-there-sidebar_x.htm

GotZoom said:
From USA Today:

Some veterans see 'good'; some see 'misperceptions'

LOS ANGELES — A group of Iraq war veterans offered a review of FX's Over There (premieres July 27): It's a good show, but a number of details are inaccurate.

Four veterans of Iraq, now assigned to the U.S. Army's Santa Monica, Calif., recruiting station, watched the first two episodes Saturday. (Related story: TV goes to war in Iraq)

"It was pretty good, pretty interesting. But there were some misperceptions about the stuff we'd do," said Staff Sgt. Juan Carmona, 26, who hails from Puerto Rico and served in a field artillery unit at the start of the war. He'll watch again.

The soldiers appeared drawn in by the drama of scenes, such as a car bomb at a checkpoint. They took issue with episodic details, such as the movements and shooting practices of the Army unit; the operation of the checkpoint; vehicle movements, especially a truck pulling over so far to the roadside that it risked hitting a mine; the need for more soldiers in a unit; and the delay in informing a soldier's wife of his injury — and by phone, not in person.

All said the soldiers were too clean in the pilot. Producers are adjusting that.

There were laughs, as when a tough-guy soldier talks about "capping" an enemy, and nods of recognition when a sergeant uses a vehicle door mirror to shave; a soldier needs to go to the bathroom during combat; another hopes to become a professional singer; and troops talk of pregnant wives and young children back home.

"It's bringing flashbacks," said Sgt. David Garcia, 23, who worked in water purification in Iraq, when he saw a soldier using bottled water to brush his teeth. Garcia, a reservist who grew up in Inglewood, Calif., said he could relate to the "don't mess" attitude of Smoke, an Over There soldier who grew up in nearby Compton.

Sgt. Robert Mason, 33, of Bennington, Vt., who went to Iraq in 2003, said Over There had the most accurate presentation he has seen of troops' uniforms. Troops had the right weapons, too.

But the welder/machinist thought the soldiers were too disorganized. "Our soldiers are trained much better. Things are much more organized."

Cpl. Shelby Dreier, 21, of St. Joseph, Mo., who saw action twice during four months of infantry service in Iraq last year, said the combat focus left out soldiers' other activities, such as construction or just throwing a Frisbee with Iraqi children. But Dreier said he understands the dramatic pull of "blood and killing."

"As a show, it's good," he says. As for the depiction of soldiers' lives, "it's typical."

Co-creator Steven Bochco says Over There is trying to capture the spirit of war, not the exact detail. "You have to take license here and there."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2005-07-17-over-there-sidebar_x.htm

Ya know, I was actually thinking this was probably what soldiers would say about it, "Not bad, but a few misconceptions." I guess I was right. Anyway, I'll be watching it more. Unless it turns into a piece of anti-war propoganda, I'll probably keep watching it, as it's well made and well written.

Forum List

Back