Over 40 People Have Died In Kentucky

Annie opines that

Excuses really don't cut it, not to the families of the now 42 dead. Shameful:

And she's absolutely right.

Sadly, I suspect she thinks this is a partisan problem...it's not...it's a bipartisan problem.

As many people effected as Katrina and the press does not seem to find the time to blast the current White Hose for any failures as people die? Now who would have expected that? No demands for him to drop everything and second guess FEMA? No demands of why instant relief has not occurred?

With Katrina the bridges, the roads, the airports were all out and it only took 2 and a half days for FEMA to reach New Orleans with meaningful help and yet the Press and the Democrats lambasted the President rather then the Governor and the Mayor.

Yet not a peep this time. Well after all it is "just" an Ice Storm. Who cares that it knocked out an entire State? And no week long notice before hand for an evacuation or preparation.

I notice the State Governor is not whining that some of his National Guard troops are not available either.

Was that Freudian doyathink?

Annie opines that

Sadly, I suspect she thinks this is a partisan problem...it's not...it's a bipartisan problem.

Actually I don't think it is a partisan problem, I think that people looking for the Feds to bail them out are not the brightest bulbs on the planet. This problem with weather is not new, not 'global climate' problem either. Common sense when living in border states would say, have alternative sources for heating/cooking. Have at least a week's worth of water stored.

Problem for all of us is thinking the government will always 'be there' to save us from the ravages of nature. Any disaster that befalls any area certainly deserves our attention, indeed I'm fairly confident that people will donate to help out in the aftermath.

Indeed I think we should all heed the limits of government in these disasters and ask what would happen if there was a huge incident, not localized. Are we prepared to care for ourselves and protect ourselves?

Has Barack Obama gone down there yet? No? People died and Obama snoozed. Truly unforgivable. Where's FEMA, in a meaningful way? No excuses. The horror.
take a look at this

http://www.floppingaces.net/2009/01/29/thermostat-a-sign-that-global-warming-not-a-serious-concern/

You know...I gotta be honest. At least the liberals had something to nitpick Dubyah about. I mean, the guy was pretty dumb and made an awful president. Whether it was not sending enough troops into Afghanistan, foolishly rushing into war with Iraq, etc. Yeah, the libs made fun of the way he talked, but you guys make fun of the way Obama talks. I mean, that's fine, nitpick at something stupid like that. But in the end, nitpicking his coat or lack thereof in the Oval Office? I mean we've got real problems with our economy, Israel is about to go to war again, India and Pakistan are going to war sometime this year, North Korea and South Korea have cut off all ties, we've got some kind of wildcard down there in Cuba... and you connies are worried about if he wears a jacket to the oval office or not?

Has Barack Obama gone down there yet? No? People died and Obama snoozed. Truly unforgivable. Where's FEMA, in a meaningful way? No excuses. The horror.
take a look at this

http://www.floppingaces.net/2009/01/29/thermostat-a-sign-that-global-warming-not-a-serious-concern/

You know...I gotta be honest. At least the liberals had something to nitpick Dubyah about. I mean, the guy was pretty dumb and made an awful president. Whether it was not sending enough troops into Afghanistan, foolishly rushing into war with Iraq, etc. Yeah, the libs made fun of the way he talked, but you guys make fun of the way Obama talks. I mean, that's fine, nitpick at something stupid like that. But in the end, nitpicking his coat or lack thereof in the Oval Office? I mean we've got real problems with our economy, Israel is about to go to war again, India and Pakistan are going to war sometime this year, North Korea and South Korea have cut off all ties, we've got some kind of wildcard down there in Cuba... and you connies are worried about if he wears a jacket to the oval office or not?

Wrong DUmbAss, we mock him for jacking the thermostat up to 88 degrees and then taking his jacket off. the jackazz is leaving a carbon footprint of hypocrisy.

take a look at this

All those were issues before the past 10 days, what was ok then to nitpick is still fine today. Besides, I hardly think his callous response to a section of our country is nitpicking. But you go ahead, just care about your 'Israeli brothers and sisters,' it's obvious you could care less about 42 dead American citizens.

So, your contention is that this was a natural disaster on the scale of Hurricane Andrew, or Katrina?

Or, is it just that you can't stop yourself from defending or trying to whitewash the failures of Bush, the guy you voted twice for?

So, your contention is that this was a natural disaster on the scale of Hurricane Andrew, or Katrina?

Or, is it just that you can't stop yourself from defending or trying to whitewash the failures of Bush, the guy you voted twice for?

What is the minimum size disaster that Obama will make an appearance for ?

Bush is history. Why do you defend the indefensible? Oh yea, too invested in the hope, but the reality is becoming very clear, less than 2 weeks into his term.

No bi-partisanship, partially because he cannot control Pelosi. Canada's angry because of threat to trade. Israel is about to blow again. Oh yea, 40+ of our citizens have died, thousands are still without power and many cut off from even neighbors' help. Yet you make excuses. Pitiful and callous.

Annie opines that

Actually I don't think it is a partisan problem,

Given the TITLE of the thread that YOU STARTED, I am somewhat dubious of that.

I think that people looking for the Feds to bail them out are not the brightest bulbs on the planet.

Few of us are.

http://kyclim.wku.edu/factSheets/greatIceStorm.htm
http://kyclim.wku.edu/factSheets/greatIceStorm.htm

No, it is surely not. But these wealther events are gettin weirder than most of us have come to expect, and since people in places unused to such conditions are suddenly discovering that they are going to have to prepare for lord only knows what kind of weather, I am not so unforgiving of those who are caught in a situation they've never experienced before, either.

Common sense when living in border states would say, have alternative sources for heating/cooking. Have at least a week's worth of water stored.

Great idea if you have the resources to have back up heating systems and the dough to prepare for such emergencies. Sadly many people, probably most people in KY are not so affluent as that.

Problem for all of us is thinking the government will always 'be there' to save us from the ravages of nature.

Yeah, there's that too, I'll agree to that complaint in part, certainly.

Any disaster that befalls any area certainly deserves our attention, indeed I'm fairly confident that people will donate to help out in the aftermath.

Sure they will.

Indeed I think we should all heed the limits of government in these disasters and ask what would happen if there was a huge incident, not localized. Are we prepared to care for ourselves and protect ourselves?

Excellent advise.

Proably NOT possible for people living under or at or near the economic margins of society, though.

And the above just described about 25% of the population overall.

Not 10% or 12%, who are recognized as poor, but it descibes the lower class, and the lower middle class, and a whole lot of people who were formerly in the middle class who are finding that they are about to become part of the lower class, too.

Annie said:

Excellent advise.

Proably NOT possible for people living under or at or near the economic margins of society, though.

And the above just described about 25% of the population overall.

Not 10% or 12%, who are recognized as poor, but it descibes the lower class, and the lower middle class, and a whole lot of people who were formerly in the middle class who are finding that they are about to become part of the lower class, too.

Then if gf there is a large scale disaster, the poor will perish or return to a state of nature, a dangerous future indeed.

Actually one can become prepared bit by bit over time. It takes planning, but is doable under any circumstances. Sure with more money, one will be more comfortable, but that doesn't mean one cannot survive a disaster.

Are you serious? It was an ice storm.

Did Bush come to NY after our 2006 blizzard?

Are you people trying to find everything imaginable to criticize him on? He's not even in office two weeks.

If his stimulus bills don't work, then criticize him. If a hurricane hits, then criticize him. An ice storm? Are you serious? What's he going to survey? The ice? And if he goes there, all of the police and military people who are helping Kentucky right now would have to be diverted to Obama to help him.

The reason why Katrina was such a cluster fuck was because of FEMA and the people running FEMA. Bush had been president for 4 years already. Obama will probably destroy FEMA and start a completely new emergency managment team for the gov't.

Stop whining. This is small potatoes compared to the absolutely absurd shit leftoids slinged at Bush for 8 years. Get used to it.

What goes around comes around. Deal with it.

Are you serious? It was an ice storm.

Did Bush come to NY after our 2006 blizzard?

Are you people trying to find everything imaginable to criticize him on? He's not even in office two weeks.

If his stimulus bills don't work, then criticize him. If a hurricane hits, then criticize him. An ice storm? Are you serious? What's he going to survey? The ice? And if he goes there, all of the police and military people who are helping Kentucky right now would have to be diverted to Obama to help him.

The reason why Katrina was such a cluster fuck was because of FEMA and the people running FEMA. Bush had been president for 4 years already. Obama will probably destroy FEMA and start a completely new emergency managment team for the gov't.
Serious as death. The first 10 days of the Obama presidency are not boding well for any of us. The economy is in shambles, the government cannot lift a finger to help citizens caught in the ravishes of nature and dying, Canada is upset with us over NAFTA breaking, now the genius wants tariffs. Israel and Gaza are going at it again, North and South Korea are not even talking, India and Pakistan you said, are going to war within the year...not good, not good at all.

There was a bus accident last week too...so he should have been there giving aid? Hell no! Nobody cared if George Bush went to NOLA or not. It was the fact that they knew what was going to happen and the aid people needed was not in place...four days later. A freaking ICE STORM is a a totally different animal. I'm pretty sure that it's a logistics nightmare. Plus the state of Kentucky is a helluva lot bigger than the gulf area that was affected during Katrina. Come on people!

This is a VALID complaint.

And as the climate continues to mess with us, as we witness the outcome of what happens when an unprepared dying empire comes under outside stress?

Expect more weather disasters where millions of Americans are sitting in the dark waiting for help that won't come in time.

Some of us, perhaps all of us, are soon going to discover WHY GOVERNMENT IS IMPORTANT.

I cannot help but wonder how many LIBERTARIANS are currently sitting in freezing homes asking themselves where the help is.

Perhaps they'll need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, eh?

We'll very quickly see how these SELF MADE MEN do when the civilization that has sustained them starts to unravel.

What will we find?

That these SELF MADE MEN are in fact, creatures dependent on SOCIETY WORKING no less than the rest of us.

The TRUTH is OUTING FOLKS.

It always does.

Pffft.:eusa_hand:

The libertarians have their own generators, candles, and have a fire going because they already KNOW Big Brother doesn't give a shit; especially, if they aren't minority that can blame racism for a storm and no one beinng on hand to wipe their asses the second they're done shitting.

Screw the government. YOU wait on 'em.

Annie opines that

It's a bureaucratic problem, as well as a problem of people being conditioned to not think for themselves and expect that bureaucracy to come save them.

Forum List

Back