Ova Time: Women Line Up To Donate Eggs -- for Money

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Here's another sign of the tough economic times: Some clinics are reporting a surge in the number of women applying to donate eggs or serve as surrogate mothers for infertile couples.

The going rate for a surrogate is about $25,000. Egg donors generally receive $3,000 to $8,000. But a few agencies advertise that they'll pay much more for specific characteristics. One ad running in campus newspapers promises $25,000 for a donor who is "100% Jewish with ... High SAT Scores... Attractive, at Healthy Body Weight and Free of Genetic Diseases."

"Whenever the employment rate is down, we get more calls," says Robin von Halle, president of Alternative Reproductive Resources, an agency in Chicago where inquiries from would-be egg donors are up 30% in recent weeks -- to about 60 calls a day. "We're even getting men offering up their wives. It's pretty scary."

James Liu, a reproductive endocrinologist at University Hospitals, Case Medical Center, in Cleveland, says there is no waiting now for egg donors since his roster has swelled from the usual 4 to 17.

Read more at the below link

Women Line Up to Donate Eggs - WSJ.com

Would you be a good candidate to donate eggs?

I'm too old. But, my daughter would be a great candidate in a few years. She has a high IQ and is mixed, racially. The age group that is preferred for these donations is 18-22.

I'm too old. But, my daughter would be a great candidate in a few years. She has a high IQ and is mixed, racially. The age group that is preferred for these donations is 18-22.

Yeah, they probably wouldn't want my eggs either -- I'm almost 40. Not that I would consider it. I would be too emotionally attached.

It really "pays" to be smart. :)

Yeah, they probably wouldn't want my eggs either -- I'm almost 40. Not that I would consider it. I would be too emotionally attached.

It really "pays" to be smart. :)

I've already encouraged my daughter to sell hers during college. I have a friend who has surrogated twice, and I think her daughter and mine probably both will. I don't see a good reason not to, and it's a lot of money.

I've already encouraged my daughter to sell hers during college. I have a friend who has surrogated twice, and I think her daughter and mine probably both will. I don't see a good reason not to, and it's a lot of money.

It is a lot of money. If they don't have any emotional issues about it, I think it is a wonderful thing to do.

New Topics

Forum List

Back