Outsourcing the Outsourced!

It might also have something to do with overregulating American Industry making it impossible to pay any less than $7.50/hr, or make deisel with anything less than 15 ppb sulfur, making employers pay manditory workman's comp/SSI for a guy who says he "hurt his Back."
So the environmental conditions capitalism and small government left 1930's dirty coal heated St. Louis in were acceptable?

Minimum wages below $7.50 an hour will leave the bottom rung of our social ladder so poor they'll feel the best way to earn a living is either by selling drugs or kidnapping our kids for ransom. I know a place like that!

I guess the fact that American Industry was untouched by WWII had nothing to do with "benefiting our greatest generation?"
I agree with this sentence entirely. One of my economic beliefs is our geography set the stage for our success in the post WWII world.

The top few percents income rising and the rest dropping.

And you think this fantacy is ONLY a function of outsourcing?

It might also have something to do with overregulating American Industry making it impossible to pay any less than $7.50/hr, or make deisel with anything less than 15 ppb sulfur, making employers pay manditory workman's comp/SSI for a guy who says he "hurt his Back."

capitalization, deindustrialization and outsourcing top my list for reasons why. derregulation and flatter, bushonomic taxes, land on the second rung.

as for overregging, the min wage, etc, most of those policies you mentioned, samson, narrow the earnings gap, not the other way around. how does environmental policy play into the earnings gap? how'd u figure?

What do you mean "minimum wage narrows the earnings gap?" The earning gap I'm thinking of is between American workers and Mexican or Chinese workers. If the Federally Mandated minimum wage un the USA rises, and but the minimum wage in Mexico remains the same, then I'm moving my business to Mexico.

If I'm a manufacturer in the USA, I gotta pay a number of costs that decrease my profitability. If I gotta shell out $1 for cleaner air standards, then I might need to decrease my wages $1. But since I gotta pay a minimum wage, I cannot decrease the wage. So my choice is A. Go out of business, or B. Move to Mexico.

So the environmental conditions capitalism and small government left 1930's dirty coal heated St. Louis in were acceptable?

Minimum wages below $7.50 an hour will leave the bottom rung of our social ladder so poor they'll feel the best way to earn a living is either by selling drugs or kidnapping our kids for ransom. I know a place like that!

I'm not saying its an all or nothing proposition: That there is no choice between completely free market capitalism, and centralised controlled market communism.

I AM saying that don't expect to increase the costs of doing business in the USA, and the wonder WTF happened to all the jobs. We should stop being so goddamn naive. When you decide you want to artificially increase the value of the labor at the "Bottom rung of the social ladder," don't be fucking shocked when the shop moves to China. When you vote for environmental legislation that will cost industry BILLIONS, then don't be fucking shocked when they decide to build a factory somewhere else.

And you think this fantacy is ONLY a function of outsourcing?

capitalization, deindustrialization and outsourcing top my list for reasons why. derregulation and flatter, bushonomic taxes, land on the second rung.

as for overregging, the min wage, etc, most of those policies you mentioned, samson, narrow the earnings gap, not the other way around. how does environmental policy play into the earnings gap? how'd u figure?

What do you mean "minimum wage narrows the earnings gap?" The earning gap I'm thinking of is between American workers and Mexican or Chinese workers. If the Federally Mandated minimum wage un the USA rises, and but the minimum wage in Mexico remains the same, then I'm moving my business to Mexico.

If I'm a manufacturer in the USA, I gotta pay a number of costs that decrease my profitability. If I gotta shell out $1 for cleaner air standards, then I might need to decrease my wages $1. But since I gotta pay a minimum wage, I cannot decrease the wage. So my choice is A. Go out of business, or B. Move to Mexico.

the original object of discussion is the gap in wages between the average person or the lowest earners and the highest earners within the US. we're not in a competition to increase the gap in wages between us and our neighbors or china. the minimum wage is a way to make sure that the cheapest labor could more effectively sustain someone above the poverty line. the wage gap is an assessment of the strength of the middle class and the sustainability of a high GDP on a per-capita basis.

taking up your arguement that businesses will flee overseas for cheaper labor at the drop of a hat, that is precisely the mechanism of deindustrialization. some businesses dont want to or cant leave the country despite a raise in the minimum wage. there's reasons why, despite higher wages, the US is the top dog for small business. some of the same reasons are causing small businesses to displace larger business' share in our economy. products from overseas still end up stateside contributing to our consumption-driven economy, notwithstanding...

... or C. Raise your prices. you left out the most commonly adapted solution!

Forum List

Back