Outsourcing our charity

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
I was reading a sermon from the late 70s earlier. A friend had sent it to me suggesting that I might enjoy it. I did.

It was counsel concerning charity and government assistance. I always find it interesting when the ideas I am pondering turn up by chance in what I am reading or watching. I've been very concerned with the idea that it's the government's responsibility to take care of other. I am often astounded that many of the same people who talk about the problem of offsourcing work overseas have no problem outsourcing their other responsibilities to the government.

The best way to ensure that something never gets done is by telling everyone it's not their responsibility. We need to all work as individuals to carry the burden so no one gets to heavy. Just remember this Christmas season that it's a time to reach out and lift one another. Remember the true Spirit of the season.

I also wanted to share part of the text that really has me thinking tonight:

First, may I remind bishops of the vital need to provide recipients of welfare assistance with the opportunity for work or service that thereby they may maintain their dignity and independence and continue to enjoy the Holy Spirit as they benefit from Church Welfare Services self-help efforts. We cannot be too often reminded that Church welfare assistance is spiritual at heart and that these spiritual roots would wither if we ever permitted anything like the philosophy of the dole to enter into our Welfare Services ministrations. Everyone assisted can do something. Let us follow the order of the Church in this regard and insure that all who receive give of themselves in return.

May we be on guard against accepting worldly substitutes for the plan to care for his poor in this, the Lord’s own way. As we hear talk of governmental welfare reforms and its myriads of problems, let us remember the covenants we have made to bear one another’s burdens and to succor each according to his need. President Romney, our dean of Welfare Services, gave good counsel when several years ago he made this statement:

“In this modern world plagued with counterfeits for the Lord’s plan, we must not be misled into supposing that we can discharge our obligations to the poor and the needy by shifting the responsibility to some governmental or other public agency. Only by voluntarily giving out of an abundant love for our neighbors can we develop that charity characterized by Mormon as ‘the pure love of Christ.’ (Moro. 7:47.) This we must develop if we would obtain eternal life.” (Conference Report, Oct. 1972, p. 115.)

No “ism” should confuse our thinking in these matters. As a reminder of Church policy regarding individuals receiving government or other forms of charity, may I emphasize the following declaration of principle:

“The responsibility for each member’s spiritual, social, emotional, physical, or economic well-being rests first upon himself, second, upon his family, and third, upon the Church. Members of the Church are commanded by the Lord to be self-reliant and independent to the extent of their ability. (See D&C 78:13–14.)

“No true Latter-day Saint, while physically or emotionally able, will voluntarily shift the burden of his own or his family’s well-being to someone else. So long as he can, under the inspiration of the Lord and with his own labors, he will work to the extent of his ability to supply himself and his family with the spiritual and temporal necessities of life. (See Gen. 3:19; 1 Tim. 5:8; and Philip. 2:12.) (Spencer W Kimball, Becoming Pure in Heart)

I am confident that the survival of our nation is not going to be found in Washington or even in the various State governments. It's going to be found in the hearts and the minds of the people. We need to prepare ourselves. We need to be leaders by becoming independent and governing ourselves so we can show others how to do likewise.

You want to end excessive government? You want to limit their power? You do it by demonstrating to others the real way to serve one another. You show them how to live. You teach them to do it. You develop skills and then teach them to others.

I am more and more convinced that this is the only way we can keep our Republic. We need to awake and arise and get to work.

so, a Church charity, is ALSO outsourcing ones own responsibility equal to government charity, because it is you, the individual, that is suppose to be the 'source' for your own family members in need, no?

so, a Church charity, is ALSO outsourcing ones own responsibility equal to government charity, because it is you, the individual, that is suppose to be the 'source' for your own family members in need, no?

No. A church charity exists because member of that church create and run it. That's not outsourcing, it's coming together to do something decent for your fellow human beings. The majority of Christians believe that it is an individual responsibility to help those in need. That is one of the reasons that we dislike Government assuming that 'responsibility', it is ours. I don't need the Government to take my responsibility.... clearly, neither does Avatar. If you do, shame on you... but that is your business.... Your need to give up your responsibility to your fellow man does not mean the rest of us should have to do likewise.

Forum List

Back