Outlaw texting on Indiana roads?

Should texting be outlawed on the highways?

• Yes, outlaw texting but not cellphones

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Yes, outlaw both texting and cellhones

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No comment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zzzz

Just a regular American
Jul 24, 2010
Yountsville
Here in Indiana legislators are once aging considering banning texting while driving. Personally I think that all cell phone usage should be banned because I have seen too many people distracted and almost hitting people and running red lights. I do not believe a texting ban is enforceable because how does a cop tell if someone is texting or dialing a phone or entering a GPS? The only way to be certain it was texting would be if he was sitting right next to them. Plus I see many people tailgating, speeding, changing lanes without signaling and many other traffic offenses and nothing is being done (maybe selected enforcement.) Texting is a real problem but the only way to enforce it is to ban cell phone usage too which I think is a good idea.

Last edited:
Here in Indiana legislators are once aging considering banning texting while driving. Personally I think that all cell phone usage should be banned because I have seen too many people distracted and almost hitting people and running red lights. I do not believe a texting ban is enforceable because how does a cop tell if someone is texting or dialing a phone or entering a GPS? The only way to be certain it was texting would be if he was sitting right next to them. Plus I see many people tailgating, speeding, changing lanes without signaling and many other traffic offenses and nothing is being done (maybe selected enforcement.) Texting is a real problem but the only way to enforce it is to ban cell phone usage too which I think is a good idea.
Here in Massachusetts and north in New Hampshire, there are no-texting laws on the books. It is difficult to enforce, I agree. Hell, many times I could have been pulled over already for looking down ... at my iPod! A cop could see me and 'assume' I'm texting.

Just after the law went through here in MA, a friend of mine and a few of her girlfriends on Facebook, were going on and on about how they can't text anymore when they are driving. One posted to another that she was sorry for the delay in her text response, but she had to wait until she reached her destination to text.

:shock:

:disbelief:

My opinion on the matter .... if your conversation with someone is so important, pick up the damn phone and call them! It's not illegal to make a phone call on your cell. I mean really ... common sense here people!

Forum List

Back