Outlander

Discussion in 'TV Forum' started by Gracie, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43,671
    I finally decided to give it a try. Binged it. HATE Claire. What a selfish bitch. Everytime she sticks her nose into stuff and gets hurt, she blames Jamie.

Jamie and Frank both are idiots to put up with her bullshit.

Anyone else watch this show? (Netflix). Only 2 seasons but that's ok. I don't think I can handle the other 2 seasons with her idiot wishywashiness.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. MoonPie

MoonPie Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    You only watched 2 seasons or you think there are only 2 seasons? There are 4 seasons and the 5th starts in February.

If you think the first season is bad (or first 2) just wait until you see what she does in season 4. Claire, Jamie, etc end up in colonial US (North Carolina) and stay with Jamie's slave owning aunt.

3. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43,671
    I know there are 2 more seasons with one coming up..which makes 5 seasons. Yes, I am only watching the first two...and that's enough. Too much fucky sucky romantic shit, plus it bugs the crap out of me how she manipulates those two men and they allow it. Disgusting. All she is, is a busybody fucking up everyone elses lives..past AND future.

Long ago I tried to read the book (first one when she started out writing), but didn't like how she wrote. I see the adaptation for movies is just as bad. If they think this skank is a heroine...they need to think again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Gracie

Gracie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43,671
    I guess what I wanted to see was more of the peasant life. This french hoity toity crap is NOT entertaining to me. I like reading about history, but not when it comes to the super wealthy. I see enough of that in this century.

5. MoonPie

MoonPie Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87
    But the book is a bunch of fucky sucky romantic shit so what did you expect?!

6. BlueGin

BlueGin Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,167
    I watched the first 2/3 seasons and then couldn’t take it anymore. The writer was/ is obsessed with rape. And the heroine is extremely unlikeable. So yeah...it sucked.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,613
    I watched it but there's nothing new currently scheduled. I read the books and enjoyed the historical research that went into the books. Just skip over the bodice-ripping parts and you'll be OK.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  8. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,613
    Loads more than the fucky-sucky shit. You just gotta learn to skip over it all. Lots of historically interesting stuff there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. DGS49

DGS49 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,520
    So here's the thing: It's written by a woman. She (they) have NO IDEA how a man thinks. It is all some romanticized bullshit.

Jamie tolerates shit from Clair that would result in spous-i-cide, and he comes back every time, hopelessly in love, with nary a hard feeling because she refused to do what he told her to do and it resulted in some minor catastrophe.

As I understand it, the author did a little bit of research initially, then wrote the book. Surprisingly, the book became popular in Scotland and England, and the people reading it there began giving her feedback that allowed her to correct both the historical shit and the cultural shit. So aside from the story itself, there are some good and valuable insights in Scottish history.

I would have stopped watching years ago, but my wife is addicted, so we watch it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. CWayne

CWayne Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    When I first heard the premise of the show, I initially thought that the writers and author were attempting to make some comparison of relatively modern times with those found three centuries ago. The first few episodes looked to be a way to explore the culture shock between the two, and then there was some kind of moral enforcement of the modern upon the past.

It quickly became apparent that the story really had no specific goal or statement to carry it forward. I have only managed to get to the third episode in season two because I have not had much time to continue watching.

The sex scenes were pretty good. The story arc seems to be lacking.