Outlander: (Anyone?)

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
I've just finished watching the entire first season of this series via the Starz On Demand facility. While I normally have absolutely no tolerance for adventure fantasies this one captured my interest because it manages to be educational, well played, and it is fundamentally based on the authentic history of the Jacobite rebellion in Scotland.

The fantasy aspect of this tale begins when a British Army nurse is unwittingly transported back in time two centuries to Scotland of the pre-Revolutionary Highland era. The writers of this fantastic tale clearly studied the history of the time, as did the wardrobe consultants, all of which makes watching the series worth one's time.

I look forward to Season Two of, Outlander.

It's a great show. Brilliantly executed and highly entertaining.

I read 3 of the books about 5-6 years ago - I think she's written about 10 of them now? The ones I read were very memorable. They were big hefty things too- 600+ pages each.

Anyway. I love the show. The adaptation to the small screen is terrific. They are very loyal to the original books. What is most impressive is that in the books Claire talks directly to the readers in first person narrative. Obviously that cannot be done in a visual medium, it would spoil the show. So the writers have been forced to come up with some really creative ways to get around that. It's really well done! It''s as if you've been transported back 300 years.

The Redhead and I watched the first episode of Season 2 last Saturday- we're both eagerly awaiting the second installment!

PS- the penultimate episode of Season 1 was brutal to watch......:eek:

It's a great show. Brilliantly executed and highly entertaining.

I read 3 of the books about 5-6 years ago - I think she's written about 10 of them now? The ones I read were very memorable. They were big hefty things too- 600+ pages each.

Anyway. I love the show. The adaptation to the small screen is terrific. They are very loyal to the original books. What is most impressive is that in the books Claire talks directly to the readers in first person narrative. Obviously that cannot be done in a visual medium, it would spoil the show. So the writers have been forced to come up with some really creative ways to get around that. It's really well done! It''s as if you've been transported back 300 years.

The Redhead and I watched the first episode of Season 2 last Saturday- we're both eagerly awaiting the second installment!

PS- the penultimate episode of Season 1 was brutal to watch......:eek:
I was not aware that this tv series is based on a series of (hefty) books, but I'm not surprised. It did occur to me that the writer is a woman and one who had thoroughly researched her topic.

PS: I certainly agree with your comment re: the final episode of Season One. Amazingly, if not disturbingly vivid and intense. All I can say about it is I hope Captain Randall is not privileged with a quick and painless death. That would be intolerably disappointing. I have never before been made so angry by a fictional effort.

Thanks for your response. I'm glad someone else is familiar with this series.

We were watching, then the cable co thought we would be fine with $100 month increase so we downgraded to just above basic......missed a bunch......liked it, but she doesnt want to pick it back up .

We were watching, then the cable co thought we would be fine with $100 month increase so we downgraded to just above basic......missed a bunch......liked it, but she doesnt want to pick it back up .
Which cable company did that to you?
comcast......back to same service level at same price as before.....I dont think they can afford to lose customers

I tried to read her first book and was turned off immediately. The words she used are not what was used 2 centuries ago. It was like putting Chris Rock in the middle of Africa during slave days and him cracking wise, for example. Or, Andrew Dice Clay in the middle of a Women's Tolerance march before they could vote and being their speaker.

I have not bothered with the tv show because I can't get starz and even if I did, I would not watch it.

I have read a couple of the books and my wife has read several. The TV show is rewarding for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the "Eye Candy" aspect.

I think the author was a rather lame history dilettante when she wrote the first book but the story was so interesting that she quickly developed a following in England and Scotland, and her READERS began feeding her corrections on her Scottish/Gaelic language, and some other historical anomalies, so that the books have improved over time.

Once the story went to television, the screenwriters, producers, and directors took over a lot of the details, and they created work that is actually much better than the novels.

It is clearly written by women FOR women, so parts of it are difficult to accept. No man like Jamie ever existed, nor will he ever. Clair has given him more justification for wife beating than just about any other female, real or fictional, and yet he keeps coming back to her like a puppy expecting a treat.

True love, isn't it nauseating?

Forum List

Back