outgoing california government signs reduces marijuana possession to a small fine

Senate Bill 1449 amends the California Health and Safety Code so that the adult possession of up to 28.5 grams of marijuana is classified as an infraction, punishable by no more than a $100 fine — no court appearance, no court costs, and no criminal record.

Passage of this bill will save the state millions of dollars in court costs by keeping minor marijuana offenders out of court. The number of misdemeanor pot arrests has surged in recent years, reaching 61,388 in 2008.

Things are looking good for Prop 19. :thup:

This is essential decriminalization. It's basically the policy that existed in New York City throughout the 60s and 70s but was abandoned when Reagan and his dimwit wife escalated Nixon's War on Drugs. The problem today is marijuana prohibition is still in place and, unlike the situation in New York, the feds will be focusing intently on dealers and growers, which means the prices will remain just as high, the narcs will still be kicking doors down and the prisons will still be packed with pot offenders.

But it is a step forward and that deserves some level of celebration.

We have two MMD's under investigation right now, in my city. They had their permits, and were only selling to people with their medical cards. This is all fine and dandy, but the federal government, needs to stop going after people too.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu
We have two MMD's under investigation right now, in my city. They had their permits, and were only selling to people with their medical cards. This is all fine and dandy, but the federal government, needs to stop going after people too.

I wish the Feds would get out of the game altogether. Drug laws and enforcement should be left to each state.

• Thanks

I wish the Feds would get out of the game altogether. Drug laws and enforcement should be left to each state.

Yep! They will bypass state laws, and still go after people. The new drug Czar, also needs to do what he did in Seattle, and what they are doing in California.
I had a friend who got arrested for a bud, probably $5 worth. The state wasted money processing his case, and going to court over it. I wonder how much was actually spent over $5 worth of pot?
Plus it should be someone's choice, what they put in their body. Of course there should be laws over driving while under the influence, but our government shouldn't tell us what drugs we can and cannot take.

I am either repping you too much, or I haven't repped enough in the last few days. :(

In 10 years at the most it will be completely decriminalized country wide and the people who enforced will be viewed as the prohibition jackasses are.

Things are looking good for Prop 19. :thup:
I truly hope you're right but I remain skeptical and I expect some drastic action on the part of the opposition. The anti-marijuana lobby is much too powerful and has too much at stake to allow legalization to occur without major resistance. So far they've been much too quiet.

These bastards have something up their sleeve and are waiting for the right moment to spring it. I suspect it's a multi-million dollar ad campaign packed with intimidating Reefer Madness lies that they will hit the voters with beginning a week or so before the election.

This is essential decriminalization. It's basically the policy that existed in New York City throughout the 60s and 70s but was abandoned when Reagan and his dimwit wife escalated Nixon's War on Drugs. The problem today is marijuana prohibition is still in place and, unlike the situation in New York, the feds will be focusing intently on dealers and growers, which means the prices will remain just as high, the narcs will still be kicking doors down and the prisons will still be packed with pot offenders.

But it is a step forward and that deserves some level of celebration.

PC 1000 (Drug Diversion) became law in CA in the early 70's. Felony charges for possession of MJ was okay until the children of kids attending CAL, Stanford, USC (The University of Spoiled Children), UCLA, and other colleges and universities found themselves in deep shit.
It has been law since, and preventing felony and misdemeanor convictions from having a negative effect on the lives of thousands.
The benefits of passing prop 19 far outweigh the potential costs, most of which are overblown and a product of special interest propaganda.
Beer and Big Pharma hate the idea of losing some customers.

• Thanks
Weird, it's ok to smoke MJ, but Heaven Forfend that one smoke a cigarette.

Yep. Smoking a cigarette is not likely to mellow somebody out so much they'll blow a stop sign or fail to react quickly enough to not cause or be in an accident. Pot can do that to a person and this is well documented. Yet so many who want Pot legalized don't have any problem with smoking tobacco being banned almost everywhere and criminalized if smoked in a banned area, etc.

And to me that is a wierd situation.

But I don't have any problem with those who ban tobacco on their OWN premises--I have a huge problem with REQUIRING private citizens to ban it on their own premises. And I loathe and despise the smell of cigarette smoke myself and don't want to be around it. (Yes, I AM a reformed smoker. :))

But I don't want to be working with folks stoned on pot either, most especially if my life or well being is in their hands. Do you want your dentist to be high on pot? How about your surgeon? Or the guy flying the airplane?

So I have no problem with decriminalizing these substances. But I want it understood that it is as illegal to drive or operate machinery etc. with pot in your system as it is to drive or operate machinery with too much alcohol in your system. And since there is no test to determine how much pot is in your system, I think zero tolerance policies should be allowed everywhere.

figures you would make the first stupid comment of the thread.

people don't want others smoking cigarettes where they are, forcing them to inhale the cancer causing smoke. Similarly, pot will not be able to be smoked in public / public places for the same reasons. This will affect people who want to do it at their homes / on their own property and they should be able to do as they please there

Yep. Smoking a cigarette is not likely to mellow somebody out so much they'll blow a stop sign or fail to react quickly enough to not cause or be in an accident. Pot can do that to a person and this is well documented. Yet so many who want Pot legalized don't have any problem with smoking tobacco being banned almost everywhere and criminalized if smoked in a banned area, etc.

But I don't have any problem with those who ban tobacco on their OWN premises--I have a huge problem with REQUIRING private citizens to ban it on their own premises. And I loathe and despise the smell of cigarette smoke myself and don't want to be around it. (Yes, I AM a reformed smoker. :))

But I don't want to be working with folks stoned on pot either, most especially if my life or well being is in their hands. Do you want your dentist to be high on pot? How about your surgeon? Or the guy flying the airplane?

So I have no problem with decriminalizing these substances. But I want it understood that it is as illegal to drive or operate machinery etc. with pot in your system as it is to drive or operate machinery with too much alcohol in your system. And since there is no test to determine how much pot is in your system, I think zero tolerance policies should be allowed everywhere.

FYI re officer training:

Drug Influence - 11550 H&S
Course Description- This 36-hour course is specifically designed for all law enforcement officers. It will familiarize the officer with the major drugs of abuse, user identification, and enforcement of applicable laws pertaining to the arrest and conviction of narcotic abusers.

Who Should Attend- All law enforcement personnel assigned to patrol, general or narcotic investigations.

Course Objectives- To provide the students with an understanding of sources, distribution, packaging and use of the most common drugs of abuse; to enable students to identify the symptoms of persons under the influence of heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, PCP, alcohol, various Rave & Club Drugs; and properly articulate a subject's condition in order to successfully prosecute under Section 11550 of the California Controlled Substance Act (Division 10, Health & Safety Code).

Course Outline
Drug and User Identification

Opiates
Stimulants
Hallucinogens
Marijuana
Applicable Law, Health & Safety Code
Clandestine Laboratory
Professional Case Investigations
Developing Expert Testimony
Medical Aspects of Addiction and Abuse
Seven Step Drug Influence Testing Process
Alcohol Intoxication Workshop

I should add there is also a DAR (Drug and Alcohol Recogntion) class as well as other training. Most officers are trained and anyone with a good nose and can usually smell MJ, giving s/he Probable Cause to search and conduct a field sobrity test.

Last edited:

FYI re officer training:

Course Description- This 36-hour course is specifically designed for all law enforcement officers. It will familiarize the officer with the major drugs of abuse, user identification, and enforcement of applicable laws pertaining to the arrest and conviction of narcotic abusers.

Who Should Attend- All law enforcement personnel assigned to patrol, general or narcotic investigations.

Course Objectives- To provide the students with an understanding of sources, distribution, packaging and use of the most common drugs of abuse; to enable students to identify the symptoms of persons under the influence of heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, PCP, alcohol, various Rave & Club Drugs; and properly articulate a subject's condition in order to successfully prosecute under Section 11550 of the California Controlled Substance Act (Division 10, Health & Safety Code).

Course Outline

Opiates
Stimulants
Hallucinogens
Marijuana
Clandestine Laboratory

I should add there is also a DAR (Drug and Alcohol Recogntion) class as well as other training. Most officers are trained and anyone with a good nose and can usually smell MJ, giving s/he Probable Cause to search and conduct a field sobrity test.

In New Mexico the employer is allowed to require a mandatory drug/alcohol test immediately following any work comp incident. And if any controlled substance is found in the body, and there is a written policy prohibiting such substances on the job, the person's workers compensation can be reduced.

As marijuana stays in the body for days, week, even up to a month, there is no way to know whether the employee was high at the time of the accident or whether he smoked a joint or two at a party two weeks earlier. So a zero tolerance policy is not only warranted, but considered prudent especially in occupations in which quick reflexes/responses make the difference between avoiding bad accidents or getting hurt or killed.

FYI re officer training:

Course Outline

Opiates
Stimulants
Hallucinogens
Marijuana
Clandestine Laboratory

In New Mexico the employer is allowed to require a mandatory drug/alcohol test immediately following any work comp incident. And if any controlled substance is found in the body, and there is a written policy prohibiting such substances on the job, the person's workers compensation can be reduced.

As marijuana stays in the body for days, week, even up to a month, there is no way to know whether the employee was high at the time of the accident or whether he smoked a joint or two at a party two weeks earlier. So a zero tolerance policy is not only warranted, but considered prudent especially in occupations in which quick reflexes/responses make the difference between avoiding bad accidents or getting hurt or killed.

It's been years since my last training (I've been retired since 2005) but the knowledge then was that only chronic (daily) smokers would test positive for THC after a 30-days abstinence.
Urine tests for THC are quick, easy and reliable. A field sobriety test failed provides probable cause for an office to detain and test a driver. CA law requires a driver to submit to testing (though if 19 passes it will require modification to include urine testing as the breathalyzer would not be able to measure THC presence).

Forum List

Back