Outdoors and camping.

I did a lot of Civil War reenacting when I was younger. We did the big encampments with the larger A and wall tents with all the accouterments that come with it. It was easy because you drove up to your assigned company site, unloaded the truck and set up. The fun times were the occasional campaign engagements we did where you carried everything you needed including your musket to a select area to take a specific objective.

fatigue_marching_order.jpg

This is typically of what you carried and wore.
Generally, you wore long cotton underwear, a cotton shirt, wool frock or sack coat, wool socks, pants with suspenders and Brogans (leather smooth soled shoes) and a Bummer (forage cap). You had an 11 lb musket, bayonet, leather cartridge box and cap box, leather outer belt felt covered tin canteen, haversack (essentially a large tarred canvas purse), a soft pack (again tarred canvas) which contained extra clothing, socks, lye soap, etc. Strapped to the pack was the bed roll which, depending on weather, consisted of 1 or 2 blankets and 1 or 2 vulcanized rubber on canvas ground cloths which also doubled as ponchos. You might also carry a shelter half with your bed roll.
All of your personals, pipe, tobacco, small fry pan, coffee and food was generally carried in the haversack and you had what we call a tin mucket (to large to be a mug but to small to be a bucket). This was your bowl, drinking cup, shaving cup, wash basin, etc.
Generally food on the march consisted of hardtack and salt pork, sometimes rice, dried corn with occasional cans of "dessicated" (dried) vegetables, peaches, pears and various types of meat and seafood. Canning (in metal cans) was relatively new at the time and most cans were sealed with lead.
Real, period hardtack was a thick cracker basically made from flour, water and salt, baked so hard men frequently had to break them up on a rock with their rifle butts. They would stick the pieces in water with the salt pork or dried beef and dried veggies to make a stew.
We obviously didn't have those type of issues what with modern freeze dried foods, energy bars, etc. :lol:

Who says I get naked alone. Maybe if you stumbled upon 5 naked girls at the side of the lake, what would you do, I know, run to the nearest bush and beckon Mrs Palm and her five daughters.

Yes Grace, the laws are very strict about this stuff. LOL, did you know a coyote, an owl and a snake are believed to be bad omens. I bought a pair of Louboutin boots, they are coyote fur. My mother does not want me to wear them in her house, my dad just laughs at her...LMAO....Sheesh and they cost $2100.00
You ,gal, are a serious smart-ass.
Thank you !
XOXO:eusa_angel:

Forum List

Back