Out Of Africa

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
Tonight I watched Out Of Africa for the tenth, maybe the twelfth time, I'm not sure how many. But I know I will watch it again and again. I watch it every time it pops up on HBO or TCM, plus I have the DVD.

The appeal of that movie includes a well-crafted script, the well-chosen cast (Robert Redford, Merryl Streep, and Klaus Brandauer), brilliant direction, timely costumes, wild African settings and, most of all, the utterly magnificent musical score by the late John Barry.

John Barry spent several weeks in Africa, reading the script of the movie and absorbing the atmosphere projected by the theme of the Oscar-winning film. Then he set about creating some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard -- without which I probably would not have watched this movie more than once in spite of its other excellent attributes. Barry's lavish compositions are an outstanding example of music bringing a motion picture to life and capturing the imagination.

I would be interested in knowing if any others share my fascination with Out Of Africa -- and John Barry's music, in particular.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back