Out Debt is caused by too much spending? NOPE!!!

Decepticon

Rookie
Jan 11, 2012
usgs_chart2p21.png

USGovernmentSpending.com Past Spending Briefing

From this chart we can see that we are currently spending as a percentage of GDP on a par with historic norms.
Hell, we're spending less as a percentage of GDP than REAGAN did.

Now, lets look at revenues...
us-tax-revenues-double-for-little-tax-payers-cut-in-half-for-corporate.png

See the dips there? When it dipped, that means we were borrowing money.
Gee what happened in the 80's? Oh...Reagan's tax cuts. Gee...then Clinton RAISED taxes and revenues went up again...oh...then George Bush got in office and REALLY cut revenues by a good 2% of our GDP. 2% OF GDP!
Not the budget...but of GDP!

Why can't we go back to the days when import tariffs paid much more of our revenue burden? Why not start COLLECTING taxes from corporations instead of giving them an unneeded handout.

The question is, do we slit our own throats or do we PROTECT our industries and also collect funds to pay for our own government?

But this method of eliminating the debt won't be popular with businesses. Well tough crap!
The US is the largest consumer market in the world. If our foreign competitors don't like it, they can go screw. What are they gonna do? Have a trade war with their biggest customer? Besides, it's not like Germany and other EU nations don't do this as well to protect their own domestic industries.

Solving our debt problem will require courage. And that includes the courage to start taxing people and businesses at a HISTORICALLY proper rate. What got us into this mess in the first place are people who bought their votes by cutting taxes, regardless of the consequences.

Yup.

Get spending under control and add some of those Regs the Govt is so fond of.

Wonder how they would like Regs applied to their ability to spend, spend and spend some more??

I wonder what our debt would look like if the world was not so eager to buy our bonds? It's not like we have to beg anyone to lend to us, they eagerly line up to buy any form of federal government debt. As long as this dubious form of revenue is available and cheap there is no reason to raise it the solid way.

Riiiiight.

Massive debt has nothing to do with spending far far more than "revenues."

Dayum but some libs are fucking stupid.

Actually you are the one who is ignorant of the facts....

Government spending as a percentage of GDP is the same now as when Reagan was in office....23%.

But since the financial crisis in 2008, revenues as a share of GDP have hit 60-year lows, coming in at around 15%.

And yet the Republicans signed the Grover Norquist "tax pledge" not to raise taxes.

If you want SS, Medicare, and a strong defense, you are going to have to pay for it.

• Banned
Riiiiight.

Government spending as a percentage of GDP is the same now as when Reagan was in office....23%.

But since the financial crisis in 2008, revenues as a share of GDP have hit 60-year lows, coming in at around 15%.

And yet the Republicans signed the Grover Norquist "tax pledge" not to raise taxes.

If you want SS, Medicare, and a strong defense, you are going to have to pay for it.

I guess we can add MATH to the things CONZ don't understand along with ethics, evolution, and logic.

And to the dumbass who replied to my op...debts are comprised of TWO factors. Revenues and spending.

Saying that ONLY SPENDING is a factor, ignores basic reality and is just fucking stupid. Just because you don't LIKE it, doesn't mean it's not possible to raise revenues through taxation and balance our budgets.
What CONZ don't want people to realize is, that how little raising taxes on the rich would impact the middle class. Hell, it might even make a few of these CEO types GROW THEIR BUSINESS instead of just buying another yacht to water ski behind.

Last edited:
If only the wealthy paid their "fair" share, and greedy corporations paid more in taxes.........

social justice could be achieved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

I don't mean to sound like an ignoramus here, but.........

Is there some other way that you can create a deficit without overspending? Over spending as in spending more than you take in in terms of revenue.

And is not Debt the acculmulation of such deficits? Thus is not debt the result of overspending without sufficient surplusses to pay off past debt?

I am not confused, mind you. I just find the op's post fundementally WRONG. At least to my notions of deficits and debt.

PS--There is no need to compare "percentages of GDP spending" to the our present financial problem of the day. 23% is still too much!

Riiiiight.

I guess we can add MATH to the things CONZ don't understand along with ethics, evolution, and logic.

And dumbass...debts are comprised of TWO factors. Revenues and spending.

Saying that ONLY SPENDING is a factor, ignores basic reality and is just fucking stupid. Just because you don't LIKE it, doesn't mean it's not possible to raise revenues through taxation and balance our budgets.
What CONZ don't want people to realize is, that how little raising taxes on the rich would impact the middle class. Hell, it might even make a few of these CEO types GROW THEIR BUSINESS instead of just buying another yacht to water ski behind.

Reagan and Bush created most of the National Debt with tax cuts.....

US-National-Debt-GDP.gif

Riiiiight.

Riiiiight.

And dumbass...debts are comprised of TWO factors. Revenues and spending.

I don't have to guess about you. Spending is the problem. Spending exceeds revenue, you have a deficit.

What the stupid liberals do not understand is that spending can be directly controlled. Revenue is indirectly controlled. Liberal numbnuts have this stupid idea that all we need to do to increase tax revenue is to increase tax rates on certain things that may or may not be overtaxed already. Stupid fuckin' liberals have a static view of the economy vs. taxes. They are too fuckin' stupid to learn that people change their buying habits when taxes are adjusted. You raise tax rates too much, people stop buying. You lower them enough, people buy enough more to INCREASE the revenue in taxes.

Liberalism is an amusing mental disorder.

Last edited:
Our taxes are too low....

tax-revenues-big.jpg

Choose a country above the red line and move there for a while...see how you like it!

I went to a country below the red line (Mexico) & it was a shit-hole.

It is a shithole, except for one place.

My mother married a Mexican and they have lived there for 5 or so years now, and I've been to a few places. Even in just 5 years, I've seen it get worse and worse to the point I no longer feel safe going there - EXCEPT - Merida. Mom and step-dad recently moved there and its like a different Mexico. The streets are all clean as fuck, the city literally hires dudes with ordinary brooms to go out and sweep the streets clean every night - and cops are all friendly - and the violent crime rate is very low even compared to places in the U.S. I walked the streets of merida at night with my wife - even in poorer neighborhoods - and felt completely safe. We also saw pairs of female tourists walking alone at night without fear. It sort of felt like going back in time, because while Mexico has always been sort of like the wild west, it didn't used to always be as dangerous as it is now.

Last edited:
OK, smart guy. Do for us the math. Place the tax burden back to 90% on all 200,000+ incomes, raise corp. taxation to 40% and lets see how much dent that puts in the deficit spending and debt.

Then, lets discuss the consequences of doing that in our current economic condition.

Spending is the reason we have a deficit. Regardless of which party you want to lay blame too. Since we're already here, ya dumb fucks, we can sit around and point fingers all day. The truth is that both parties over spend because the bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy.

That is what thieves do. They steal to spend.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back