Ousted Bush foe mulls political comeback

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
:rotflmao:

By Thomas Ferraro

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate's No. 1 Democrat until his ouster by voters two years ago, Tom Daschle is weighing a campaign comeback he hopes might propel him into the White House in 2008.

The first Senate leader in half a century to be voted out of office, the South Dakotan hopes to turn the outspoken opposition to President George W. Bush that was his downfall in his home state into a plus with voters nationwide.

"I'm ready for another challenge," Daschle, 58, said in an interview, adding: "I've enjoyed underdog status."

Coy as any other presidential hopeful, he has yet to declare his candidacy for his party's presidential nomination to replace Bush, a Republican whose term ends in January 2009.

But in an interview he told Reuters, "I've been to a number of states and so far the response has been very encouraging."

South Dakota, a Republican-leaning state, elected Daschle three times to the Senate and four times to the House of Representatives in 26 years before handing him his first defeat in 2004.

"A bright red (Republican) state," he calls it.

Amiable and tough, Daschle said he would decide by year's end whether to run. Early polls show him with scant support.
Leading rivals include former, better-financed colleagues like Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, the party's 2004 nominee, former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, Kerry's 2004 running mate, and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, an early favorite.
"She is clearly in a commanding position if you look at the polls," Daschle said. "But circumstances change constantly."

Daschle has been campaigning for fellow Democrats in their bid to win back control of Congress this November.

"He misses the political action," said a former aide. "He's itching to get back in. He really regrets not running (for president) in 2004."

"Perhaps that is a little dramatic," Daschle said when read the remark. "But I do have a passion for public service and think I can make a contribution."

CHIEF OBSTRUCTIONIST'

In speeches, Daschle reminds Democrats of battles with Bush that made him the Republicans' top target in the 2004 congressional elections.

Republicans portrayed him as "the chief obstructionist" to Bush's conservative agenda.

Daschle opposed much of Bush's program -- from tax cuts for the rich to anti-abortion judicial nominees. He has watched Bush's approval ratings plummet, largely because of the increasingly unpopular Iraq war.(I wonder if the DNC has taken over Reuters):D

"I'm proud I took him on," Daschle said. "I knew I was right then, and I'm very pleased to know that a lot of people now share my view.":duh3:

Daschle's priorities include upgrading schools, expanding health care, energy independence and cutting "the growing gap between rich and poor."

Nick Clemons, executive director of the New Hampshire Democratic Party, said: "It's too early to make any predictions. But people seem to genuinely like him. So the door is open."

Ray Hoffmann, chairman of the Iowa Republican Party, said: "I'd say his chances are almost nil. He has a reputation for being an obstructionist and not getting anything done."

Daschle insists the Iraq war must be resolved politically by the Iraqi people and favors a slow withdrawal of U.S. troops.

He joined other lawmakers in giving Bush the authority to use force but charges Bush "failed to have a plan to win the peace" after the fall of Saddam Hussein.

"We have experienced many great foreign policy disappointments in our history, but this has to be one of the most consequential," Daschle said.
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...=&cap=&sz=13&WTModLoc=NewsArt-C1-ArticlePage2
:rotflmao:

Kathianne said:
Daschle opposed much of Bush's program -- from tax cuts for the rich to anti-abortion judicial nominees. He has watched Bush's approval ratings plummet, largely because of the increasingly unpopular Iraq war.(I wonder if the DNC has taken over Reuters)
1. Did Bush nominate pro-choice or prolife judges?

2. Who does the dividend tax cut mostly benefit? In what economic strata do these voters lie?

3. Have the President's approval rating fallen? Why?

Mr.Conley said:
1. Did Bush nominate pro-choice or prolife judges?

2. Who does the dividend tax cut mostly benefit? In what economic strata do these voters lie?

3. Have the President's approval rating fallen? Why?

You didn't get the joke... Oh well.:D

Tom Daschle? Isn't his wife a lobbyist?

I do believe Tom works for a lobbying firm now

My, so much for Dems wanting to rid Washington of the influence of lobbyist

Originally Posted by Kathianne
Daschle opposed much of Bush's program -- from tax cuts for the rich to anti-abortion judicial nominees. He has watched Bush's approval ratings plummet, largely because of the increasingly unpopular Iraq war.(I wonder if the DNC has taken over Reuters)

HEY! How did Kat get in my post??
Kat, are you doing some magic tricks. Or are you silently projecting yourself in there? If you are doing one of those, girl your good....:rotflmao:

Stephanie said:
HEY! How did Kat get in my post??
Kat, are you doing some magic tricks. Or are you silently projecting yourself in there? If you are doing one of those, girl your good....:rotflmao:
:confused: I wasn't on this thread or even on the board when this 'happened'?!!!

New Topics

Forum List

Back