CDZ Our Society's Incivility is Due to Our Internet Anonymity

Seriously, you think condemning those on the other side while absolving their own is somehow new? "Hypocrisy" would be a 21st century term, then?

I rather hold, people know what's wrong, even in this day and age. Their condemnation of the other side demonstrates it, conclusively.

The condemnation of the other side, is as you said -- nothing BUT hypocrisy without an acknowledgement of right/wrong. Proves nothing about honest morality and integrity of resolving things. And I seriously doubt that people will accept most ANYTHING their side does is actually wrong. There's dozen of daily examples of that boogle the mind of rational people.

Seriously, you think condemning those on the other side while absolving their own is somehow new? "Hypocrisy" would be a 21st century term, then?

I rather hold, people know what's wrong, even in this day and age. Their condemnation of the other side demonstrates it, conclusively.

The condemnation of the other side, is as you said -- nothing BUT hypocrisy without an acknowledgement of right/wrong. Proves nothing about honest morality and integrity of resolving things. And I seriously doubt that people will accept most ANYTHING their side does is actually wrong. There's dozen of daily examples of that boogle the mind of rational people.

Read that posting again, Flac. Knowing what's wrong, while giving not a shit about the own side's wrong - the very definition of hypocrisy - is exactly how I tried to pinpoint the absence of "honest morality and integrity". But still, condemning the other side for any WRONG still implies the knowledge that the wrong actually is a wrong. Knowing what's wrong does not with necessity entail acknowledging it on the own side. And that has always been with humankind, as the age of the term "hypocrisy" demonstrates.

Now, if you think that the public shame for being caught lying, or for being exposed as a hypocrite, has been greatly diminished, we might agree. President Obama was even made to concede that "keep your doctor" wasn't the right thing to say. Fat chance for anything like that to happen in the age of Trump. That's where I happen to think the real deterioration occurs, mainly because the "base" just doesn't frigging care.

Read that posting again, Flac. Knowing what's wrong, while giving not a shit about the own side's wrong - the very definition of hypocrisy - is exactly how I tried to pinpoint the absence of "honest morality and integrity". But still, condemning the other side for any WRONG still implies the knowledge that the wrong actually is a wrong.

Read YOUR words up right there. ^^^^^^ IT's still just abject hypocrisy when you discussing tthe same damn wrong without acknowledging it was wrong in both cases... And there''s not a wrong EITHER side has committed that CAN'T be absolved by comparing and "whataboutism"..

It's been going on SO long with no judgements on right/wrong, that NOTHING is ever punished or resolved.

But look at what Bill Clinton did. But kids were in cages under Obama. But Booosh lied.. But Byrd was a Klansman. But ambassadors died before. But Elian Gonzalez had "willing sponsors'" in America and was sent forcibly back to his Commie Dad after his mom was eaten by a shark.. But RUSSIA...

Show me USMB discussions where one side gets nailed for obvious wrong-doing that "the other side has not done"....

It's all beyond hypocrisy... It's an example of the ABSOLUTE HELL of E-connected justice. You can thoroughly destroy a person on Tuesday before the facts are out on Wednesday. Or allegations are just as valid as evidence. It's moral "crowd tyranny" and chaos is what it is.. Participatory democratic hysterical instant mass public lynchings.

NOBODY IS WINNING... everybody is losing more and more. Or haven't you noticed that yet?????

Last edited:
It's an example of the ABSOLUTE HELL of E-connected justice. You can thoroughly destroy a person on Tuesday before the facts are out on Wednesday. Or allegations are just as valid as evidence. It's moral "crowd tyranny" and chaos is what it is.. Participatory democratic hysterical instant mass public lynchings.

NOBODY IS WINNING... everybody is losing more and more. Or haven't you noticed that yet?????

I hear you.

I am also convinced, you misread the goings-on. This isn't "E-connected justice", or whatever other "justice" you may call it. It's entertainment, albeit of a very special variety. Read any thread running for 100 postings or more, and find in 99% of the cases: The game is to claim victim status (no matter whether it's justifiable or not), and, as much as possible, to make the other side suffer for it. That suffering is the entire point. Again:

Just, in their quest to make those on the other side suffer, and in their delight upon succeeding, they don't give a rat's posterior about their own side's (equal) guilt. They just don't. It's just part of the entertainment industry that encompasses politics and large parts of social media, and pretty much the celebrity-obsessed nosiness. The only question worth answering would be, Who's going to bleed the most?

I am deeply convinced that's the case. I am also convinced, that kind of collectively organized sadism has been with us since the time of the gladiators, at least.

It's just a way a thoroughly regulated, tightly administered society seeks and finds a safety valve for irrepressible frustrations and anger, and (pretend) "justice" is relegated to the status of a tool to vent and to inflict more suffering. Justice - as you would understand it, based on facts and principles - has very little to do with it.

Our Society's Incivility is Due to Our Internet Anonymity

We had to devolve as a culture to accommodate our lack of visual or audible cues about each other.

Those cues which would tell us how to customize our communication and interaction with each other.

To not expect a 20's person to have the knowledge or life experience of a 60's person.

And more like that.

And now we have a generation of young people who have been beaten up so much online they think it is normal to be as rude and crude and dumb as we have de-evolved to be.

If we EVER expect to right this we will have to reduce or eliminate online i teraction inlueu of actual in person and in real life regular socialization by all.

Sent from my LG-M154 using Tapatalk

I think it's bigger than that. How about:

"The customer is always right"

paired with

"We want to hear from you"

IOW if you have a complaint, no matter how small, you can expect it to be rectified and you should broadcast it everywhere. There has never been a society more ripe for reset than ours, other than maybe ancient Rome. I do not say this with any amount of joy, because the reset will be horrific, I fear.

Forum List

Back