Our Primary System: Good Enough?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
We have two basic primary systems in this country, open and closed. In an open primary, any registered voter can vote for that party's candidate. In a closed primary, only a voter who registered as a member of that party can vote in its primary. (There are various kinds of restrictions, and they are enforced to varying degrees.) My state, Ohio, is closed.

List of States with Open and Closed Primaries « Grassroots Idaho GOP

The other factor that affects a primary is the sequence. The fact that New Hampshire and Iowa hold their primaries earlier than other states has given voters there a greater say in who the candidates are.

This is a deceptive simple explanation, but might be enough to start a convo. No other democracy on Planet Earth uses the system we do here in the US.

In your view, is our primary system good enough?

Last edited:
You forgot the caucus. It used to be the party hacks got together and selected candidates to represent their party but the people wanted a say in it so primary elections were formed to allow direct participation of all voters. The problem with a primary is that the electorate must be properly informed of the candidates positions and views. In today’s age that is not happening, there is too much disinformation and focus on peripheral, not on substantive matters. The caucus system is a lot better system for electing nominees and let the people vote in the general election between them.

Barring a complete change back to the caucus system, I think that regional primaries would be the way to go. Yet that cripples the small candidates chance at competing with the big boys and limits the possibility of a dark horse emerging. It also would keep the candidates in the big states and the smaller states would be left bare. Iowa and New Hampshire have been selecting our candidates for decades and look where that has gotten us.

Anyway you look at it the primary system is flawed, from disinterested voters and uninformed voters, to the undue influence of a couple of states. In a caucus those voters who are interested can participate and go to the caucus meetings and be informed of each candidates positions. I think this is the way we should elect nominees.

We have two basic primary systems in this country, open and closed. In an open primary, any registered voter can vote for that party's candidate. In a closed primary, only a voter who registered as a member of that party can vote in its primary. (There are various kinds of restrictions, and they are enforced to varying degrees.) My state, Ohio, is closed.

The other factor that affects a primary is the sequence. The fact that New Hampshire and Iowa hold their primaries earlier than other states has given voters there a greater say in who the candidates are.

This is a deceptive simple explanation, but might be enough to start a convo. No other democracy on Planet Earth uses the system we do here in the US.

Our entire elective system needs regrooving.

Starting out with registration, including funding and finally how votes are counted are all (I think) designed to take the DEMOCRACY out of this so called democratic republic.

Never been a fan of the open primary and neither should anyone that is worried about the high percentage of incumbents that re-elected. A strong incumbent will often get only token opposition within his/her own party, allowing supporters to mess with the selection of the other party's candidate by conspiring to vote for the one least likely to win.

Too much Fraud and Abuse. Even People moving around to vote in Multiple Primaries.

Well we have more independent voters than we do Dems or Repubs, but in our state you can not vote in the primaries unless you are a registered Rep or Dem. This is very wrong in my opinion. I would like to become an independent but then my voice would not count in the primaries.
We need to work to get this corrected so that independents can vote in the primaries. It's all set up for each of the parties not the voters.

• Banned
Well we have more independent voters than we do Dems or Repubs, but in our state you can not vote in the primaries unless you are a registered Rep or Dem. This is very wrong in my opinion. I would like to become an independent but then my voice would not count in the primaries.
We need to work to get this corrected so that independents can vote in the primaries. It's all set up for each of the parties not the voters.

What would the advantage of being a registered independent, peach?

All y'all have touched on great points. I wonder, do you think our primary system (not the general election, now) forecloses third party candidates out?

It is screwed up.

But it is up to the parties to decide how they select their candidates

All y'all have touched on great points. I wonder, do you think our primary system (not the general election, now) forecloses third party candidates out?

As an independent I think I'm stating that I'm angry at both parties, that is why most are dropping out of both parties. My girlfriend just did that she was a Dem now she is an independent because she is angry with the way her party's philosophy has gone to far left.

As an independent I think I'm stating that I'm angry at both parties, that is why most are dropping out of both parties. My girlfriend just did that she was a Dem now she is an independent because she is angry with the way her party's philosophy has gone to far left.

I am unhappy with the GOP's renewed love affair with "social conservatism", so I feel ya. I still dun get how registering as an independent sends the GOP or the Democratic Party that message?

No. All states should use the open primary system.

No. All states should use the open primary system.

Why?

If I were going to alter our system, I would collapse the primary season. Ohioans have little chance to influence the ticket because we vote late in the process.

I am unhappy with the GOP's renewed love affair with "social conservatism", so I feel ya. I still dun get how registering as an independent sends the GOP or the Democratic Party that message?

If Repubs and Dems were doing a good job there would never have been any need for a independent party. There are more registered independents than Dems or Repubs.
What does that tell you Madeline?

If Repubs and Dems were doing a good job there would never have been any need for a independent party. There are more registered independents than Dems or Repubs. What does that tell you Madeline?

It tells me nothing, really. Most of those independent voters still vote R or D in the general election, so what's the difference? If all of these independent voters (of which I am one myself) were actually voting for independent or third party candidates and actually getting them elected then that would be telling me something, but it's not happening.

If Repubs and Dems were doing a good job there would never have been any need for a independent party. There are more registered independents than Dems or Repubs. What does that tell you Madeline?

It tells me nothing, really. Most of those independent voters still vote R or D in the general election, so what's the difference? If all of these independent voters (of which I am one myself) were actually voting for independent or third party candidates and actually getting them elected then that would be telling me something, but it's not happening.

That's because both parties have the system set up that it makes it damn near impossible to get any third parties in.

Forum List

Back