Our presence in Iraq, one unintended positive development?

As the only nation on the planet to ever use nuclear weapons .. twice .. didn't have to either time .. we were testing .. still talk of its "tactical" use .. we don't have the "right" to determine who else gets them.

Every nation has a right to protect itself and Israel remains a threat to the Iranians, thus they have every right to the same weapons Israel has.

Additionally, no nation on the face of the earth is or has been in violation of more UN Resolutions than Israel, which is also guilty of many atrocoities of Palestinian people.

Israel isn't just hated by "extremist nations" it's the most hated nation on the planet.

Feel free to put Israel before the best interests of the US is you choose. That's your perogative.

One of these days history will finally paint President Truman's hands with the decades of bloodshed he stubbornly set in motion against the advice of foreign policy experts. Secretary of State George Marshall strongly supported a UN supervised protectorate state and predicted an era of war and hostility would follow the formation of Israel.

Has anybody heard this mentioned in college level World History?
The Jewish Agency proposed partitioning Palestine into two parts -- one Jewish, one Arab. But the State and Defense departments backed the British plan to turn Palestine over to the United Nations. In March, Truman privately promised Chaim Weizmann, the future president of Israel, that he would support partition -- only to learn the next day that the American ambassador to the United Nations had voted for U.N. trusteeship. Enraged, Truman wrote a private note on his calendar: "The State Dept. pulled the rug from under me today. The first I know about it is what I read in the newspapers! Isn't that hell? I'm now in the position of a liar and double-crosser. I've never felt so low in my life. . . ."

Truman blamed "third and fourth level" State Department officials -- especially the director of U.N. affairs, Dean Rusk, and the agency's counselor, Charles Bohlen. But opposition really came from an even more formidable group: the "wise men" who were simultaneously creating the great Truman foreign policy of the late 1940s -- among them Marshall, James V. Forrestal, George F. Kennan, Robert Lovett, John J. McCloy, Paul Nitze and Dean Acheson. To overrule State would mean Truman taking on Marshall, whom he regarded as "the greatest living American," a daunting task for a very unpopular president.
U.S. Recognition of the State of Israel

"I said bluntly that if the President were to follow Mr. Clifford's advice and if in the elections I were to vote, I would vote against the President."
George C. Marshall

There are a myriad of reasons why Israel has not attacked Iran, not the least of which is the blowback and possible ineffectiveness of such a strike. Plus, there are no guarantees, given the distance and wide dispersal of Iran's underground facilities that such a strike would even work .. and whether it works or not, such an attack will only strengthen the hardliners.

Iran will obtain nuclear weapons .. that's a reality the world will have to live with .. just as it lived with Pakistan having nukes.

Underneath the "nuclear" question, Iran is buying Russian made S-300 ballistic misslies, which would be an effective sheild against Israels mid and long range missiles. Israel wants to attack before they get them because they don't want Iran to have ANY deterance to their own weapons of mass destruction.

At what point does American interests come before the interests of Israel .. which has not behaved as a civil nation.

Good questions and I am aware there are several factors at play here not the least of which will be the blow back from such a strike. You would have several US Military units engaged IMO moments after such a strike with Iranian units in the Persian Gulf and all along the Iraq border not to mention all the Iranian sponsored terrorists organizations worldwide. On a side note as to the Russian S-300 , I thought you might be interested in knowing that the US Military has in fact a few years ago purchased many mobile launched versions of the S-300 to use as test beds to upgrade the Patriot. The S-300 has been around for a very long time and the latest version the S-400 which began saw upgrades in 1999 has only up until 2006 just started testing. So while it is a sohisticated Missile system it is a late 1970's base surface to air missile system that has been modified to fit on many different launching platforms. I am quite sure that Israel is well aware of Iran's military capability BaC and my point was that if this attack is not well thought out the blow back from it will be extreme to say the least.

Forum List

Back