Our New Master (China)

New master? Who do you think paid for your $600 stimulus check Bush sent out? They've been financing our debt for a long, long time.

China passed Japan as the largest holder of US Debt in Sept. 2008. This is not a thread started to give the Bush Administration credit for anything when it comes to the Debt, take the new part to mean whatever you want it to mean. The fact remains our nation is deeply in debt to China so much so that we have become completely dependent on China for funding our Govt. and a large part of our economy.

New master? Who do you think paid for your $600 stimulus check Bush sent out? They've been financing our debt for a long, long time.

China passed Japan as the largest holder of US Debt in Sept. 2008. This is not a thread started to give the Bush Administration credit for anything when it comes to the Debt, take the new part to mean whatever you want it to mean. The fact remains our nation is deeply in debt to China so much so that we have become completely dependent on China for funding our Govt. and a large part of our economy.

Well be patriotic and buy more US savings bonds.

How do we pay our debt , well .... a new steel mill is going to be built not 20 miles from my house , owned by the Chinese . I live in South Texas and I would have thought my neighbors would have told the Chinese to take a flying leap , but they're not , they're welcoming Communist China with open arms . Can you Imagine that , Texans working for commies ? So much for , ""Remember the Alamo ." In the end , it won't be the government that brings us down , It will be the people . Although I think somebody in government should have stepped forward , and told the people of the little community where the mill is going to be built , why it's a bad idea .

How do we pay our debt , well .... a new steel mill is going to be built not 20 miles from my house , owned by the Chinese . I live in South Texas and I would have thought my neighbors would have told the Chinese to take a flying leap , but they're not , they're welcoming Communist China with open arms . Can you Imagine that , Texans working for commies ? So much for , ""Remember the Alamo ." In the end , it won't be the government that brings us down , It will be the people . Although I think somebody in government should have stepped forward , and told the people of the little community where the mill is going to be built , why it's a bad idea .

I get to San Antonio every so often to visit friends there and last time I was there, a friend took me where Brooks A.F.B. used to be and was very surprised to see that close to that was a big Toyota Plant so it doesn't surprise me that a Chinese Steel mill is is going up in South Texas.

For the record, paying for Iraq and Afghanistan by borrowing, not taxing or cutting spending, is part of what put us in this mess.

Unfortunately, we've borrowed our way out of the status of sole super power. We aren't quite under the thumb of the Chinese yet, but we are well on our way to being royally screwed.

600 million Chinese are still peasants (which is good because it used to be over a billion) and they lack running water, basic housing,education, food and other necessities. The infrastructure of most of rural China is woefully inadequate.

China has a long way to go before they become our "Master"

I'm sorry but this gets a big "So?"

Do you think the ruling class of China is really bothered by the fact so many of their people are peasants? Unfortunately for us, being a super power isn't determined by the quality of your population, it is determined by your economic, political, and military might. And the Chinese are on their way to eclipsing us.

And eager to get there too.

Pretty much. Maintaining Super Power status would require sacrifice, something our culture as a whole has given up on. Contrast FDR's call to action following Pearl Harbor with Bush's call to action after 9/11. Where were the war bonds to pay for Iraq? Where was the call for national service or training to handle the next attack?

Americans are no longer asked to sacrifice, nor do we as a whole seem very likely to sacrifice even if asked.

I like the quote by Nimitz . I believe America is a unique land and am confident , that in the end , we will weather this storm . That as a people and a nation we will return to the core values that make us the one , the only , United States of America .

Pretty much. Maintaining Super Power status would require sacrifice, something our culture as a whole has given up on. Contrast FDR's call to action following Pearl Harbor with Bush's call to action after 9/11. Where were the war bonds to pay for Iraq? Where was the call for national service or training to handle the next attack?

Americans are no longer asked to sacrifice, nor do we as a whole seem very likely to sacrifice even if asked.

Do you know Dr. Traveler I have always felt that if brought to the public properly as it should have been many Americans would have purchased War Bonds as means of supporting the cost of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. I still hold to the belief that regardless of the way Americans feel about the war, as a means of supporting the young men and women engaged in it , many would have contributed to it in that way. As a positive result many would have felt they were doing a little something in order to play a role after 9-11. I still believe that it is not too late to do something along these lines.

Do you know Dr. Traveler I have always felt that if brought to the public properly as it should have been many Americans would have purchased War Bonds as means of supporting the cost of operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. I still hold to the belief that regardless of the way Americans feel about the war, as a means of supporting the young men and women engaged in it , many would have contributed to it in that way. As a positive result many would have felt they were doing a little something in order to play a role after 9-11. I still believe that it is not too late to do something along these lines.

I would hope you would be right. I would buy such bonds, as I already purchase government bonds both as an investment, and as a way to support the nation.

If such bonds became available, and if people were asked to buy them, I really do hope they would.

Its unfortunate though that we will likely never know. 9/11 was a missed opportunity to rally us back to our principles. The overall ongoing response makes me a bit depressed about the future of the nation.

Forum List

Back