Our Nation's Majestic Symbol...

The T

George S. Patton Party
May 24, 2009
What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
Took this photo yesterday morning just before noon while at a customer location at Amelia Island (Nassau County), Florida.

The tower was about 300 Yards away, the height of the tower is approximately 70 feet.

EAGLE.jpg

Note the nest in the center of the structure?​

Wow. :thup:

Last weekend, we travelled to the Alton/Grafton area on the Mississippi for some eagle watching.
There were several, but tricky to spot.
I forgot my Nikon with telephoto, so I held my point-and-shoot up to the binoculars and came up with these LOL.

The view:

eaglefar.jpg

Camera and binoculars:

eagleresize.jpg

Then cropped the image for this:

060crop.jpg

Took this photo yesterday morning just before noon while at a customer location at Amelia Island (Nassau County), Florida.

The tower was about 300 Yards away, the height of the tower is approximately 70 feet.

EAGLE.jpg

Resourceful critter, isn't she? We see loads of eagles all the time. If you let a small Fifi or a Fluffy outside during the winter, there's a good chance next time you see them will be as a white sploch on your car!
Best place to watch eagles locally is at the VFW, where they feed them.

Attachments

• $12079462044Be12gh.jpg
    $12079462044Be12gh.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 105
  • $4216783383_b5d6f61850.jpg
    $4216783383_b5d6f61850.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

EAGLE.jpg

Resourceful critter, isn't she? We see loads of eagles all the time. If you let a small Fifi or a Fluffy outside during the winter, there's a good chance next time you see them will be as a white sploch on your car!

Very cool. Beautiful creatures. I have witnessed them in flight from afar, but never as close as yesterday and perched. I took a couple of others. One shows that it apparently was looking right at me when I snapped it.

Thanks for those.
icon14.gif

I have driven backroads where a dozen eagles swirled and swooped at my car as I was driving the dirt/gravel road. They'd circle, land in front, then jump up in the air as I approached. It was incredible, the sort of thing that afterwards, you wonder if it REALLY happened.

It was along "eagle creek"...where both bald and golden eagles nest, and both were there that day.

Wow. :thup:

Last weekend, we travelled to the Alton/Grafton area on the Mississippi for some eagle watching.
There were several, but tricky to spot.
I forgot my Nikon with telephoto, so I held my point-and-shoot up to the binoculars and came up with these LOL.

The view:

eaglefar.jpg

Camera and binoculars:

eagleresize.jpg

Then cropped the image for this:

060crop.jpg
Interesting way to grab one. Good thinking.
icon14.gif

I wouldn't have ever thought of doing what you did.

The camera I used was a Kodak 1012IS.

I had the zoom full tilt.

I don't travel without a camera. I have a still camera that takes video...and a Panasonic HD Vidcam (that takes stills), and has an 80GB Drive.

I have driven backroads where a dozen eagles swirled and swooped at my car as I was driving the dirt/gravel road. They'd circle, land in front, then jump up in the air as I approached. It was incredible, the sort of thing that afterwards, you wonder if it REALLY happened.

It was along "eagle creek"...where both bald and golden eagles nest, and both were there that day.

They are very beautiful birds aren't they?

icon14.gif

I don't travel without a camera. I have a still camera that takes video...and a Panasonic HD Vidcam (that takes stills), and has an 80GB Drive.

I got very lucky LOL. Tried it several times but only got one in focus.

So was that Kodak in digital zoom mode? That's a really shrap image.

icon14.gif

I got very lucky LOL. Tried it several times but only got one in focus.

So was that Kodak in digital zoom mode? That's a really shrap image.
It was all I could do to try to stay steady as I didn't have a tripod with me. I took a few shots...and alot were blurred because of my motion/distance at full digital zoom)...

I was at a customer's location doing some radio work. I was returning to my service van to get a piece of test equipment as I caught the bird out of the corner of my eye sitting on that cellular antenna panel). So I scrambled to get the camera before it flew away.

The following is another shot (that isn't blurred like alot of the rest)...what's so cool about this one is that the bird saw me and what I was doing...looked right at me...:cool:

Eagle3.jpg

EAGLE.jpg

Did you take these pictures yourself? I got the wrong pictures. I meant the close up of the eagles. The group and the one by himself.

Last edited:
Great pics!
I was picking blueberries one afternoon and noticed that all the marmots suddenly disappeared. A golden soared overhead. Way cool! How do you tell golden eagles from juvenile bald eagles? The "pantaloons"!
I carefully monitor the baldies every spring because my kids are at risk. Those baldies will take a domestic kid in lieu of a wild one any day.

EAGLE.jpg

Did you take these pictures yourself? I got the wrong pictures. I meant the close up of the eagles. The group and the one by himself.

No. I'm not much of a photographer. Eagles are a bit of a nuisance here. They really are scavengers, but quite beautiful for all of that. I've seen an eagle bear a seagull to the ground and start eating before the prey was dead...gruesome.

Great pics!
I was picking blueberries one afternoon and noticed that all the marmots suddenly disappeared. A golden soared overhead. Way cool! How do you tell golden eagles from juvenile bald eagles? The "pantaloons"!
I carefully monitor the baldies every spring because my kids are at risk. Those baldies will take a domestic kid in lieu of a wild one any day.

One of these days...I am going to get pictures of a Falcon that roams nearby and is a frequent guest to our retention pond at my workcenter and feeds there. Same with a Kingfisher.

I appreciate the comments. :)

Great pics!

Goldens are bigger, too.

I LOVE kingfishers. We used to camp along a creek (not far from where I now live, in fact..we'll be there this summer) and watch the resident kingfisher move up and down the bank. There was also a bunch (I don't know what multiple bats are called) of bats that would come out every night at dusk and whirl around over the creek. You never forget things like that.

This one was before the bird zoomed in on me and my activity...

Eagle4.jpg

I appreciate the comments guys...For me? It was a cool experience as i own about 22 finches, a Sun Conure, A White Capped Pionus, and 6 Cockateils (Many were born in my home)...

Love birds...and am happy to share the planet with them.

~T

Love it!

Do you ever dream of being a bird? Flying?

Something else you never forget. And not everybody has flying dreams..even fewer have flying dreams where they are actually birds.

My father used to dream he was a duck...he was an avid bird hunter and admired ducks immensely, and they are tremendous fliers.

I've dreamed of being an eagle, or a condor..hard to know when it's you, but soaring for miles and miles a mile up, over mountain ranges...and I've also dreamed of being a goose. A totally different thing..geese fly at night, you know. And of course, they are in company, and formation.

I've also had dreams where I could flap my own arms and fly, or bounce higher and higher until I'm just flying along...not quite as dignified, I'm afraid. Not quite as meaningful. A lot more scary, though.

I LOVE kingfishers. We used to camp along a creek (not far from where I now live, in fact..we'll be there this summer) and watch the resident kingfisher move up and down the bank. There was also a bunch (I don't know what multiple bats are called) of bats that would come out every night at dusk and whirl around over the creek. You never forget things like that.

Bats are very cool to watch. I come out at night sometimes and watch them whizz around the street lighting nailing bugs...

I belive the term is colony...;)

That's it!

Yes, we used to get buzzed by them under the streetlights as kids on a regular basis. Those are the same kind; the really little ones that eat the bugs. I find them pretty fascinating too...but not like birds. I've never dreamed of being a bat, and hope I don't. I don't want to end up like Jim Carrey's Riddler.

The Kingfisher that comes around our workcenter is cool to watch...especially when it is interrupted in it's endeavour...makes alot of noise...but gets used to the idea of you being there and comes back...

i gotta get a picture of it...:) (Video maybe)

Forum List

Back