Our Nation's First War On Terror

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    http://deanesmay.com/archives/000374.html

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Pt. 2

3. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Firstly, America did not pay tribute to Saddam Hussein, although plenty of American companies paid kickbacks to Hussein, during the years of the embargo, in order to get their hands on Iraqi oil.

No US naval vessel was was ever taken hostage by Sadaam Hussein, in fact he was powerless beyond his own borders. Even within his borders, he had no control over Kurdish held territories.

Secondly, despite all claims to the contrary, there were no credible, demonstrable links between Saddam Hussein, Al Qaeda and 9/11. Had their been, I would have had no reservations about the invasion of Iraq.

Thirdly, the myth of Iraq's WMD programs have been so thoroughly put to rest that for anyone to claim that they did, or still do, exist is patently ludicrous. The assertions by Chimpy that Iraq presented a "...grave and gathering threat..." or a "...threat of unique urgency and that Iraq posed a grave threat to America..." have proven false.

While I enjoyed reading the history of the Barbary Pirates and the US response to them, resulting in the Treaty of Tripoli, it is not analogous to the so-called "war on terror" as outlined by Chimpy's administration. The whole effort smacks of the historical revisionism Chimpy used to accuse his opponents of. I say "used to" as he no longer makes that accusation in the face of his own attempts to re-write history.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Title I used: Our Nation's First War On Terror

Discussion: Barbary Pirates and the world at that time paying tribute.

Underlying Message: When faced with a cost the US couldn't/wouldn't pay, they did what they needed to do. No other stretch of comparisons...