Our greatest President

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
USA Today/Gallup Poll. Feb. 6-7, 2009. N=1,018 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"Thinking now about some of the past presidents -- If you had to choose, which one of these U.S. presidents would you regard as the greatest: George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, John Kennedy, or Ronald Reagan?"

Reagan 24%

Kennedy 22%

Lincoln 22%

Roosevelt 18%

Washington 9%

Presidents & History

"Thinking now about some of the past presidents -- If you had to choose, which one of these U.S. presidents would you regard as the greatest: George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Franklin Roosevelt, John Kennedy, or Ronald Reagan?"

Reagan 24%

Kennedy 22%

Lincoln 22%

Roosevelt 18%

Washington 9%

Presidents & History

I would chalk that up to the failure to teach history and context. Washington should far and away be #1.

Reagan 24%

Kennedy 22%

Lincoln 22%

Roosevelt 18%

Washington 9%

Presidents & History

I knew that it had to be Reagan when you had posted this. Fuck Republican Revisionist history, Reagan was a failure of a President in many aspects.

Lincoln was a racist who took away many civil liberties and I'm not sure about FDR but he took away many American civil liberties himself.

Washington should be ahead both of those but Washington had his own problems too. (His treatment of Native Americans come to mind).

Kennedy did too actually, his worst was he couldn't keep in his pants and his father's backdoor deals with the mob. Though both Jack and Bobby didn't find out about those until much later so I suppose it cannot be counted against them really.

Looking more depth into this poll, it's obvious Republicans had to be oversampled on some of these.

4 13 23 23 36 were Dubya's numbers. 40% of Americans don't find that village idiot to be average or better.

Last edited:
Our greatest presidents were FDR and Lincoln.

No one else faced the challenges of the caliber they faced.

This is a result of what they teach in school. :eusa_eh:

Course few teachers want to talk about the messy aspects of all these people.

The idea that Washington, Jackson, Lincoln should have been preserving Native American lands is absurd. I'm not condoning the 18th or 19th C mindsets, in light of the 20th and 21st, but to condemn those presidents with todays standards is nonsense. We are what we are.

It's totally feasible that in the future there will be those that say that the paying 'homage' to Islamic sensibilities was warped. On the other hand, it may be that there was not enough reaching out.

Our greatest presidents were FDR and Lincoln.

No one else faced the challenges of the caliber they faced.

This is a result of what they teach in school. :eusa_eh:

Course few teachers want to talk about the messy aspects of all these people.

like FDR trying to expand the Supreme Court when he didn't get his way? There's a reason the 22nd amendment was passed.. I don't know if I agree with it, but I mean the other branches of government thought FDR was too powerful.

like FDR trying to expand the Supreme Court when he didn't get his way? There's a reason the 22nd amendment was passed.. I don't know if I agree with it, but I mean the other branches of government thought FDR was too powerful.

That's exactly it, FDR was very patient after awhile because he knew he'd eventually be able to fill the Supreme Court with his flunkies.

It was very similar to Dubya's "My way or the Highway"

Last edited:
The idea that Washington, Jackson, Lincoln should have been preserving Native American lands is absurd. I'm not condoning the 18th or 19th C mindsets, in light of the 20th and 21st, but to condemn those presidents with todays standards is nonsense. We are what we are.

It's totally feasible that in the future there will be those that say that the paying 'homage' to Islamic sensibilities was warped. On the other hand, it may be that there was not enough reaching out.

There's a difference between purchasing the lands for a fair price and raiding their lands/raping their women/killing them/and of course things like the Trail of Tears.

Those four didn't have to preserve the land, but they didn't have to take it the way they did either Annie. I know you're one of those types who give our government the benefit of the doubt in not giving the Indians blankets with all those diseases too.

Fact of the matter is, the American Government with the help of many Americans committed Genocide against the Native Americans.

Last edited:

That's exactly it, FDR was very patient after awhile because he knew he'd eventually be able to fill the Supreme Court with his flunkies.

FDR and Lincoln, IMO, were the greatest because they got us through our toughest times.

Of course they weren't perfect, and made many errors, but who doesn't?

He was nearly impeached for this, you do get it?

FDR wouldn't of never had been impeached; and if he was he would of won quite easily. By that time, he was too powerful to be taken out of office short of murder; he was a PFL. (President for Life)

Especially after the Allies victory in WWII. Though it would of been interesting what would of happened to him if he was the one who made the order (and not Truman) to drop the A-Bomb.

It was very similar to Dubya's "My way or the Highway"

There was one instance, I can't remember what the issue was. The supreme court ruled something unconstitutional, so he said he would add two members, making it an 11 member court to sway it in his favor. freaking abuse of power. The democratic congress told him he couldn't do it.

There was one instance, I can't remember what the issue was. The supreme court ruled something unconstitutional, so he said he would add two members, making it an 11 member court to sway it in his favor. freaking abuse of power. The democratic congress told him he couldn't do it.

President Roosevelt versus the U.S. Supreme Court!!

Actually, he proposed 15. (Even worse)

To Roosevelt's great disappointment, the judges refused to retire. At that point, Roosevelt decided to bring out his heavy naval guns. In complete secrecy, he told his Cabinet that he proposed to expand the Supreme Court to 15 members by adding a co-justice for every judge over 70. That would give him a majority and make the Supreme Court his obedient servant

FDR wouldn't of never had been impeached; and if he was he would of won quite easily. By that time, he was too powerful to be taken out of office short of murder; he was a PFL. (President for Life)

Especially after the Allies victory in WWII. Though it would of been interesting what would of happened to him if he was the one who made the order (and not Truman) to drop the A-Bomb.

he attempted to pack the court in 1937-he was hardly pres for life at that point.

Forum List

Back