Our Founding Fathers included Islam

you sound just like that lefty that did the poem on the 'statue of liberty' Coyote , forget her name .

Emma Lazarus

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

She was an interesting woman, and a talented writer.

What about Easter?

I don't really have a problem with it, but geez how many more holidays can the schools afford. Also, what if someone is an atheist and they want their children to have winter solstice? What if someone is a Hindu and wants their holidays recognized, same with every other religious denomination. We cannot please everyone. We cannot twist and contort our system to appease all of these people and their religious beliefs.

Easter is Sunday, so it's a day off anyway. Community demographics should determine local holidays.

We can not insist that only Christian religious days be honored, and if there are sufficient numbers of people who follow another religion - why not? Who says only Christians holidays can be observed?

Well, because the kids need to spend a certain amount of time in school. School is about learning, not holidays! If we let everyone have their holidays observed, that would take away from time in school and learning, which is important to our future as a country. I'm sorry, but I am more concerned about my country and having educated children than appeasing people.

Then cancel all religious holidays :dunno:

Thing is - for the devout, the parents will likely not have the kids in school on those days anyway.

I think we have plenty of federally recognized holidays. If immigrant parents want to keep their children out of school for their own special holidays, those should be excused absences for those children.

Umh....it's not just "immigrant parents". It's Americans who have been here for generations.

In general, I think it's fine to have them as excused absences (we have them as "days of special concern"). But I also see no problem incorporating other religious holidays in areas where there are a lot of people of a particular religion, just as I don't see a problem with having Christmas as a holiday. It's respecting those communities.

No it's not. You are not an immigrant if you were born in this country legally.

There is a problem with it, we have to limit the amount of holidays that the children take off during the school year because it interferes with education which is more important and is what school is for. School isn't about appeasing people. We have the national federal holidays that we do because the MAJORITY celebrates them.

you sound just like that lefty that did the poem on the 'statue of liberty' Coyote , forget her name .

Emma Lazarus

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

She was an interesting woman, and a talented writer.

That was a LONG time ago, Coyote. Things have changed immensely since then.

Immigrants have changed us since America was formed.

You going to reverse all that progress or just halt it?

I definitely think we need to be more careful with who we allow to just come into the country. It's very dangerous times. Why should we risk our security for immigrants?

Because we ARE immigrants.

We don't let in criminals. That should be sufficient.

No, I was born and raised in this country. I am not an immigrant. :)

Ah...so, because our parents, grandparents and other assorted forbears made it here, in dangerous times, we must slam the door on any one else? Thumb our noses like the French K-nits and say ptthhhhww - you are not wanted here!

No...Americans are immigrants. We are a patchwork of peoples. I think it's our strength. Immigrants are the ones most desperate to make it and succeed and they have, where others are complacent.

No, we are not immigrants. And yes, we should do that. If an immigrant has something to offer America, then fine. If not, then no.

been a longtime in the making Chris , started with the 'emma lazurus' lie that has brainwashed a couple generations of publically schooled people that emotionally push for immigrantion . Then then real push came after or around the 'lbj' administration . 'dead kennedy' had a lot to do with it , I was just a kid and my earliest realization that something was up was in the very early 70s but like I say , I was a kid , mostly interested in beer and motorcycles !!

Easter is Sunday, so it's a day off anyway. Community demographics should determine local holidays.

We can not insist that only Christian religious days be honored, and if there are sufficient numbers of people who follow another religion - why not? Who says only Christians holidays can be observed?

Well, because the kids need to spend a certain amount of time in school. School is about learning, not holidays! If we let everyone have their holidays observed, that would take away from time in school and learning, which is important to our future as a country. I'm sorry, but I am more concerned about my country and having educated children than appeasing people.

Then cancel all religious holidays :dunno:

Thing is - for the devout, the parents will likely not have the kids in school on those days anyway.

I think we have plenty of federally recognized holidays. If immigrant parents want to keep their children out of school for their own special holidays, those should be excused absences for those children.

Umh....it's not just "immigrant parents". It's Americans who have been here for generations.

In general, I think it's fine to have them as excused absences (we have them as "days of special concern"). But I also see no problem incorporating other religious holidays in areas where there are a lot of people of a particular religion, just as I don't see a problem with having Christmas as a holiday. It's respecting those communities.

No it's not. You are not an immigrant if you were born in this country legally.

There is a problem with it, we have to limit the amount of holidays that the children take off during the school year because it interferes with education which is more important and is what school is for. School isn't about appeasing people. We have the national federal holidays that we do because the MAJORITY celebrates them.

Immigrants are here legally unless they entered illegally. There is no difference between me -a descendent of immigrants and newly arrived immigrants. We are Americans.

And if a MAJORITY of the people in a particular district celebrate a non-Christian holiday, then what is wrong with adding it to that districts calendar? If days are such an issue, remove a Christian holiday.

illegals should be deported and immigration stopped Coyote !! USA doesn't owe any immigrants the favor of immigration to the USA .

archeological information , I always wanted to be an Archeologist . --- BBC News - Nimrud Outcry as IS bulldozers attack ancient Iraq site --- I was interested in old Egypt at a very early age then moved on to the Mayas , Incas , Aztecs and learned a lot about them . Course , looks like lots of middle east history is being destroyed . I don't really care , just posted to show the 'jihadi' at work .

Forum List

Back