Our Favorite Literary Movie Hunks

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
Interesting article with video clips included. Anyone have a favorite literary crush?

If you like your movie hunks mysterious, brooding -- and from the 19th century -- prepare to swoon over Michael Fassbender as the dashing-yet-haunted Edward Rochester in 'Jane Eyre,' which opens this Friday. Rochester was portrayed by an appropriately gruff young Orson Welles in the 1944 film, but even purists will surely embrace the latest version of Charlotte Bronte's man of many secrets.

You've already seen Fassbender in '300,' 'Inglourious Basterds,' and 'Band of Brothers,' (and trailers for the upcoming 'X-Men: First Class'), but this film is likely to land him a whole new following, just as a certain dip in a pond did for Colin Firth in the 1995 miniseries 'Pride and Prejudice.'

Troubled Rochester is just one of our favorite dashing heroes from the pages of literary classics, characters who took on a whole new allure when portrayed on screen by the very appealing likes of Daniel Day-Lewis, Julian Sands and Christian Bale.

Our Favorite Literary Movie Hunks - The Moviefone Blog

Far out! I'm always up for new Jane Eyre!

Hmmm...I know it's cliche, but Clark Gable as Rhett has got to be one of the all-time best fits ever, just as Vivien Leigh was for Scarlett. I read the book BEFORE seeing the movie, and I was, and am, completely blown away by the casting of that movie.

I love Bale in Little Women, too. Another one where I didn't get Jo's choice in the book and understood it even less on the screen.

I believe I'm going to start watching Pride & Prejudice now. I came here to find a good movie suggestion and that one suits me...

Seen it many times, love it.

• Banned
Far out! I'm always up for new Jane Eyre!

Hmmm...I know it's cliche, but Clark Gable as Rhett has got to be one of the all-time best fits ever, just as Vivien Leigh was for Scarlett. I read the book BEFORE seeing the movie, and I was, and am, completely blown away by the casting of that movie.

I didn't like the old version of Jane Ayre,so not sure about the new version. Orson Wells was well cast in that movie though. Maybe I will check it out when it hits video. I agree about Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh . I remember watching a documentary about the making (and casting) of that movie and was surprised. Many many famous names wanted those roles, but their audition tapes were really not very good (they showed several of them... Two big names that come to mind are Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn). Don't know if that's because we are so used to seeing the finished product or not though.

Last edited:
I believe I'm going to start watching Pride & Prejudice now. I came here to find a good movie suggestion and that one suits me...

The BBC mini series of P&P has Colin Firth as D'arcy. I'm a fan of Firth anyway but.... ouch, he's scorching as D'arcy. Every female should watch the lake scene from that series. I defy any woman not to drool. :lol:

I LOVE Pride & Prejudice, I think I've watched every version, most of them repeatedly. I've seen the one with Colin and I think I actually have it on DVD. I didn't buy it, I stole it from my sis! I think maybe that's on for today

The A&E version of P&P is indeed the best.

I also like Rufus Sewell as Ladislaw in Middlemarch. He is quite droolworthy.

I love Bale in Little Women, too. Another one where I didn't get Jo's choice in the book and understood it even less on the screen.

I agree about Christian Bale in Little Women. I have seen the original and all of the remakes of Little women. I never understood why Jo chose the professor over Laurie either. Maybe I need to read the book...I do have a copy aound here somewhere.

I can think of another character I liked.

I read the book North and South...and saw the mini series (which I loved even though they are nothing alike). I really liked Patrick Swayze in the role of Orry Main. James Reed made me like the character of George Hazard ...but ,I really didn't think he fit the role very well.

Bride & Prejudice (2004) - IMDb

There is a great movie that came out in 2004 called "Bride and Prejudice". I thought it was very entertaining and romantic.

The musical numbers are great.

No life without wife:

Punjabi Wedding Song

Marriage into Town

The colors in this movies are amazing. Very entertaining

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read the book and have also seen the movie of "Forever Amber". Cornel Wilde as Bruce. Is probably my biggest literary crush...he was very handsome when he was young.

Bride and Prejudice is a lovely film. I added it to my Jane Austen collection recently.

Other literary hunks:

Robert Taylor as Marcus Vinicius in Quo Vadis

Charlton Heston in Ben Hur.

Kirk Douglas as Spartacus.

I have read the book and have also seen the movie of "Forever Amber". Cornel Wilde as Bruce. Is probably my biggest literary crush...he was very handsome when he was young.

That's a fabulous movie, although Cornel Wilde is a tad fey pour moi.

I do like the 1998 version of Vanity Fair with Nathaniel Parker as Rawden Crawley. He's gorgeous in that role.

And Billy Zane in Orlando. Yum.

Another:

Bryan Brown in a Town Like Alice is totally DELISH!

Bride and Prejudice is a lovely film. I added it to my Jane Austen collection recently.

Other literary hunks:

Robert Taylor as Marcus Vinicius in Quo Vadis

Charlton Heston in Ben Hur.

Kirk Douglas as Spartacus.

Two more I can think of.

Victor Mature in Samson and Delila

James Caan as Mississippi in Eldorado.

The BBC mini series of P&P has Colin Firth as D'arcy. I'm a fan of Firth anyway but.... ouch, he's scorching as D'arcy. Every female should watch the lake scene from that series. I defy any woman not to drool. :lol:
Agreed. No way would I ever watch the Hollywood version after seeing that movie.

:eusa_drool:

Forum List

Back