Our embassies are under attack, what do we do about it?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Wiseacre, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Wiseacre

Wiseacre Retired USAF Chief Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    The Libyan ambassador and others were killed, it should be obvious to all that it ain't safe to be in the ME with all the turmoil going on. Do we close all embassies in the region, stop all aid to Egypt and Libya and every other ME country that does not honor the concepts of diplomacy? Or just send a strongly worded letter to the respective leaders of those countries?

Every action or decision carries repercussions, whatever we do or don't do means something going forward. Doing little or nothing about the attacks sends as much of a message as closing embassies. Not only to those countries involved but to every other country, friend or enemy. So, what can we do, and what should we do?

What are the long term implications if we cut off all aid and leave, for all concerned? If we left, will we see several more theocracies spring up, multiple Irans all over the place? My understanding is that Quadaffi had a large arsenal of shoulder fired missile launchers, which may have fallen into Al Queda hands or those who are decidely unfriendly to us. I'm not at sure sure our embassy personnel in the region are all that safe, do we keep them in harm's way? If we leave our embassies open, this sort of thing is going to happen again and again.

Not many options here, and none of them look good.

2. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    obama intends that these theocracies spring up. It was the whole purpose behind the arab spring.

If obama has anything to do with it, the violence will spread to other embassies.

News from The Associated Press

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,152
    I think the first thing we need to do is get on our knees and talk to our God. We need to get all the wrong things out of our life and then seek His Counsel.

These are acts of war. But we cant afford another war. Yet we also cant let them push us around.

I dont have the wisdom for this one. I doubt the President does either, though Ive been praying for him. I hope Mitt Romney does when he gets into office though.

4. Billo_Really

Billo_Really Litre of the Band

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,261
    We need to stop funding the groups creating all the turmoil.

Stop supporting groups tied to al Qaeda. From what I understand, sending arms and military shipments to known terrorist groups, is a crime.

If arms have fallen into al Qaeda hands, it's because we sold it to them.

5. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,339
    Hopefully we have a response planned at all. That's not a given with this Admin.

This is an act of war. For us to ignore it would be a fatal mistake.
    Let's start with a FORMAL PUBLIC apology from the govts of Libya and Egypt for the incidence and a promise that security for our embassies will be a higher priority..

I can work from there. Give them 24 hours to compose a sincere apology. If none arrives -- then move to Plan B which would be embargoes of aid and expelling a few of their diplomats.. I don't even want to think about Plan C -- but the C in C should have one of those as well.

I don't think Obama/Clinton are thinking along those lines. They need to go bye-bye before they buy us a bigger badder war in the ME...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  6. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,935
    Our embassies are under attack. What do we do about it?

[​IMG]

7. Billo_Really

Billo_Really Litre of the Band

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,261
    This whole issue is nothing more than the "frog and the scorpian".

8. Rozman

Rozman Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,687
    Close the embassy.
    Stop sending any sort of aid there.

Or this President can give a speech then go and appear on all the talk shows and yuk it up.

9. ERGO

ERGO Bursting Bubbles

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42
    "Republican's want less government, for the
    same reasons criminals want less cops!"

What if the government is criminal?

10. oldfart

oldfart Older than dirt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I see quite a bit we can do. It won't be as emotionally satisfying as bombing the hell out of somebody, but it can promote long run American interests.

1. QUIETLY step up embassy and consular security in the region and upgrade our quick response military readiness.

2. Increase visible drone patrols over Libya.

3. Review our efforts to support the Libyan, Egyptian and other government's intelligence gathering and counter-terrorism capacity.

4. Avoid saber-rattling and any comment beyond "We will relentless seek out the perpetrators so they can be brought to justice."

Words don't mean much in these situations and impotent bluster only backfires. Better we keep our mouths shut. The next public comment (however far in the future it may be) should be the results of a combined special forces operation, a targeted missle strike, or a CIA operations branch mission.

Jamie