Our elite forces killed "by" the Taliban

If this is the wrong thread, I'm sorry. Moving it is fine by me.

On the subject of our SEAL Team 6 forces killed in the crash of the helicopter, it dawned on me that the whole thing was suspicious.

In fact, I thought I had posted this thought earlier, but maybe I never submitted it?

Here's my concern. The SEAL Team was sent in to rescue another Seal Team in jeopardy. The rescue team, consisting of the same TEAM ( members of Seal Team 6, albeit not the same actual forces) who took-out Osama bin Laden, then got attacked by the Taliban. This made me wonder if maybe the other SEAL Team had gotten attacked PURELY to cause the rescue mission which was the actual intended target?

I figure that the Taliban isn't nearly sophisticated enough to pull that off. SO, I am assuming agents with access to some of our intel in the region may have assisted the Taliban.

I am fully prepared to suspect Pakistan (or some of its military intelligence folks, anyway) since we "embarrassed" them by taking-out Osama bin Laden without their prior knowledge (and despite their sovereignty concerns).

Too conspiratorial? Or does anybody else smell a similar rat in all of what just happened over in Afghanistan?

It's the capstone for me.

I questioned the premise of sending the Seal Team and not having the capture of this "Terrorist Mastermind" as priority Number 1. Once the deed was done the WH spun three separate stories as to why they had to shoot to kill: OBL reached for a gun, his wife tried to step in front, etc. Then last week one of the Seal Team member stated conclusively, they went in with orders to whack OBL. And now they're all dead

It's not suspicious, it's obvious that the whole OBL Terrorist Mastermind narrative is a steaming pile of crap.

Are you suggesting that our government intentionally causes this to "silence" Special Operations forces?

If so, thanks for joining the lowest common denominator.

Very silly idea, considering these are not the same men that did the OBL raid. ST6 is about 300 strong with multiple Squadrons that have multiple Troops.

I don't know what happened but I do know we sufferred an enormous and devastating loss. I hope our flag in the Capitol has been lowered to half-mast in honor of those who made the ultimate sacrifice. God bless the families who had that untimely knock at their door.. who upon opening the door felt their heart shatter in to a million pieces.. A nation mourns with you today and we will never forget their valor and sacrifice.

Again;

1. Identify the mission and ending objectives.
2. Give the military a free hand to perform those missions needed to obtain stated objectives.
3. Burn every fucking poppy field to the ground on our way out.

American Thinker- Print Article

Lest we forget, on May 2, 2011, al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was shot dead, and rightly so. After performing a flawless covert exercise, Navy SEALs Team 6 left the scene, taking with them Osama Bin Laden's body. The SEALs treated the terrorist's corpse with respect, giving him a Muslim ceremony and burying his body at sea.

When Barack Obama met the DevGru SEAL operators who made Operation Neptune Spear successful, the President noted that the men "looked less young and fearsome than he expected, and more like guys working at Home Depot."

To assure that the identities of the unit who led the operations remained confidential, security precautions were put in place and "despite the numerous news reports that named the SEALs, none of the anonymous briefers from the CIA and Pentagon would confirm it."

Notwithstanding being unable to get any of the facts straight about the raid itself, in an effort to take preventive measures the President and his team, including counter-terrorism Chief John Brennan, attempted to be cautious about revealing which units accomplished the daring feat, referring to special operation Navy SEALs only as "a small team of Americans."

In the days following the raid, in a coordinated effort to make a weak Obama look like a strong wartime president, members of Congress who were briefed on the operation, in conjunction with a very confused White House press office and other unnamed officials, slowly leaked conflicting tactical details about the raid on bin Laden's Abbottabad compound.

Then there's Joe Biden. Joe either didn't get the confidentiality memo, or if he did, didn't bother to read it. Either way, America can always count on Joe to say the wrong thing.

Benjamin Franklin once said: "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."

As Barack Obama was doing his Obama killed Osama/take out the "B" replace it with an "S" victory lap, Joe Biden, who used to just provide comic relief, proved himself to be downright hazardous to classified information. The Vice President must have been so caught up in the thrilling enthusiasm of the "tempting moment" that once again he spoke without engaging his brain.

The night after bin Laden was killed, at a dinner at Washington's Ritz Carlton Hotel to mark the 50th anniversary of the Atlantic Council, Joe Biden said the following:

Let me briefly acknowledge tonight's distinguished honorees. Admiral James Stavridis is a, is the real deal. He can tell you more about and understands the incredible, the phenomenal, the just almost unbelievable capacity of his Navy SEALs and what they did last Sunday.

Folks, I'd be remiss also if I didn't say an extra word about the incredible events, extraordinary events of this past Sunday. As Vice President of the United States, as an American, I was in absolute awe of the capacity and dedication of the entire team, both the intelligence community, the CIA, the SEALs. It just was extraordinary.

Little did America know that while Barack Obama was practically being showered with confetti in a virtual ticker-tape parade overseen by the left, the soldiers who carried out the operation were unintentionally being offered up as a sacrifice on the altar of Barack Obama's bid for re-election.

A few weeks later, amongst friends at Marine Corps base Camp Lejeune, Defense Secretary Robert Gates admitted that although the agreement on the way bin Laden was eliminated was to keep all aspects of the operation classified, those close to Obama, including Vice President of the United States, didn't stick to the agreement.

After the leaks went public, a deeply concerned Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said the following:

Frankly, a week ago Sunday, in the Situation Room, we all agreed that we would not release any operational details from the effort to take out bin Laden. That all fell apart on Monday, the next day.

We are very concerned about the security of our families - of your families and our troops, and also these elite units that are engaged in things like that. And without getting into any details... I would tell you that when I met with the team... they expressed a concern about that, and particularly with respect to their families.

A month later, the man who admitted during his tenure that he wept nightly while writing condolence letters to fallen heroes, retired.

Now, three short months later in Eastern Afghanistan, that which former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates feared would happen did happen when "A military helicopter was shot down in eastern Afghanistan, killing 31 US special operation troops, most of them from the elite Navy SEALs unit that killed al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, along with seven Afghan commandos."

Although none of the soldiers who perished are believed to have taken part in the bin Laden raid, the fallen are from the same band of brothers. Gone indeed are the "family" members whose safety the SEALs expressed concern over to then-Secretary of Defense Robert Gates.

While the horrific loss may be a coincidental casualty of war, it is also a symbolic message from the brutal Taliban and an act of revenge by terrorists who failed to reciprocate with the same measure of respect afforded the deceased Osama Bin Laden, leaving bodies of dead American soldiers "strewn at the scene."

Rest assured, Robert Gates is weeping tonight. The former Secretary of Defense maintained that troop safety was his number one priority. However, Gates had no power to save Navy SEAL Team 6 from Taliban terrorist rocket fire launched skyward in the remote hills of Afghanistan.

Contributing to the tragedy is the reality that loose-lipped political operatives with a lackadaisical attitude have to live with the question as to whether top secret information leaked in haste led the Taliban to exclusively concentrate its focus on retaliating against the soldiers who took down Osama bin Laden.

Expert at placing blame, it's highly unlikely the President will assign himself and his administration the same level of responsibility for being at the helm for "the worst single day loss of life for the US led coalition in Afghanistan since the war began in 2001" as he did the self-congratulatory kudos when bin Laden's corpse was dumped at sea.

So later this week, right around the time Barack Obama is being feted at his $71,600 per couple fundraiser in New York, somewhere in America flag-draped coffins of heroes lost in a national tragedy will be unloaded from a military cargo plane and returned to fatherless children, grieving widows, inconsolable parents and a sad, but grateful nation.

Last edited:
Blaming Obama is simply stupid. It was a military mission. If there is blame it lays with the planners and recon/intel that sent those men out in that Helicopter. If there was any conspiracy it would be that one of our erst while allies leaked information to the Taliban.

If it was brought down by rocket propelled grenades it was flying to low. If it was in transit and not tactical it should not have been low enough for rocket propelled grenades to take it out.

Obama had NOTHING to do with this mission. One must look to how ( or if) the Taliban knew it was seal team 6, how they got that information. How they would know the ambush up the line would cause Seal Team 6 to respond and on what flight path.

On the subject of our SEAL Team 6 forces killed in the crash of the helicopter, it dawned on me that the whole thing was suspicious.

In fact, I thought I had posted this thought earlier, but maybe I never submitted it?

Here's my concern. The SEAL Team was sent in to rescue another Seal Team in jeopardy. The rescue team, consisting of the same TEAM ( members of Seal Team 6, albeit not the same actual forces) who took-out Osama bin Laden, then got attacked by the Taliban. This made me wonder if maybe the other SEAL Team had gotten attacked PURELY to cause the rescue mission which was the actual intended target?

I figure that the Taliban isn't nearly sophisticated enough to pull that off. SO, I am assuming agents with access to some of our intel in the region may have assisted the Taliban.

I am fully prepared to suspect Pakistan (or some of its military intelligence folks, anyway) since we "embarrassed" them by taking-out Osama bin Laden without their prior knowledge (and despite their sovereignty concerns).

Too conspiratorial? Or does anybody else smell a similar rat in all of what just happened over in Afghanistan?
My heart goes out to the families.
with their death goes the truth with how Bin Ladin was killed or even if he was killed.

My heart goes out to the families.
with their death goes the truth with how Bin Ladin was killed or even if he was killed.

Once again for the slow, the men that killed OBL were not on that Helicopter.

Shit happens.

It is truer in combat than any other situation. That's why we have plans, back-up plans and back-up plans to back-up plans.

No, I don't credit the Taliban with being that sophisticated.

Exactly. This is a tragic combat loss, one that cost America some of her finest military personnel. It is a reminder of just how dangerous these operations are. Let's not make it into something it isn't. No matter how good the troops, things can go quickly, horribly wrong in combat. Whatever the cause(s), the military investigation will reveal them, and lessons will be learned from that. Unfortunately, those lessons have a steep price tag. It is a sad truth of combat that the bad guys, no matter how skilled or inept they are, only have to get lucky once to ruin your entire day, even if you do everything right. It has happened before, in Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Iraq, and now Afghanistan, and it will happen again, another time, another place. Let's be quick to mourn those lost, honor their sacrifice, and pray for their grieving loved ones, and slow to pass the blame and pass the buck.

On a sadly related note, this got me wondering: How many SEAL's are active at any given time? I know they are a small (and obviously elite) force. Does losing this many significantly impact the total number and their ability to carry out missions?

On a sadly related note, this got me wondering: How many SEAL's are active at any given time? I know they are a small (and obviously elite) force. Does losing this many significantly impact the total number and their ability to carry out missions?

A retired General more or less answered that.

(I think it was on NBC.)

He said that there were approximately 300 active Navy SEALS.

A loss of 30 is therefore literally a decimation.

But they are constantly getting reinforced as newly trained SEALS assume an active role.

He said the effect of this attack, while obviously tragic, would not be appreciable to our fighting capacity.

Navy SEALs FAQ - SEALSWCC.COM | Official Website U.S. Navy SEALs

This ^ site indicates that there are more like 2500 active SEALS. Accordingly, it might be that TEAM 6 had approximately 300 men.

Beat me to it. ST6/DEVGRU takes seasoned SEALs, puts them through additional selection, weeds out the unfit, and then puts them through an additional 7 month or so Operator's Training Course. Their mission and command they fall under is different from the rest of NSW. It's similar in manner in how Delta selects and trains former Rangers and SF.

Blaming Obama is simply stupid. It was a military mission. If there is blame it lays with the planners and recon/intel that sent those men out in that Helicopter. If there was any conspiracy it would be that one of our erst while allies leaked information to the Taliban.

If it was brought down by rocket propelled grenades it was flying to low. If it was in transit and not tactical it should not have been low enough for rocket propelled grenades to take it out.

Obama had NOTHING to do with this mission. One must look to how ( or if) the Taliban knew it was seal team 6, how they got that information. How they would know the ambush up the line would cause Seal Team 6 to respond and on what flight path.

My understanding from what I heard today on FNC was that there was only one way in and out of the battle area, a dead-end valley A Taliban agent released to our side info that there would be a meeting of a group of high echelon Taliban at a supposedly known location. There were many Taliban and others not Taliban laying in wait for our people to fly in. Once they had the first group, our Rangers pinned down, they knew they could expect a "rescue" mission - but most likely didn't know it would be seals coming - and they waited for them (whomever would come) to arrive by the only way they would most likely be able to.

If all that's true, and I suspect with minor details being different, this is the scenario, then there was a huge tactical error which led to the whole debacle. The intel was not reliable, and was planted by the Taliban. The location should've raised concerns in the first place. Then going in with the second "team???" ... it looks like some heads will roll in that command.

Last edited:
Being a retired navy wife and have many friends who were seals I feel for their families . I can not imagine their pain right now .. To all the fallen military I pray for your families :eusa_pray:

Forum List

Back