Our board is a prime example of why race relations are so disfunctional

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Too many things are seen through the foggy lenses of race.

People are overly sensitive.

Some of us think race can be used as a weapon against the opposite side.

Then there are those of you who are simply so shallow in your positions that you can't defend them without defaulting to race insults or race baiting.

Times have changed dramatically and many of you have been left in the dust. My family history is a perfect example of the changing times. My grandfather hated blacks. My natural father sympathized with their plight. I was oblivious and didn't care one way or another. And my children don't even see skin color and rebuke those that do.

Then there are those of you who are simply so shallow in your positions that you can't defend them without defaulting to race insults or race baiting.

Times have changed dramatically and many of you have been left in the dust. My family history is a perfect example of the changing times. My grandfather hated blacks. My natural father sympathized with their plight. I was oblivious and didn't care one way or another. And my children don't even see skin color and rebuke those that do.

I agree. Some people are over sensitive... some are deliberately sensitive and look for racism within anything that they disagree with. If our politicians do it, which they do, then the base does it... being the good sheeples that they are.

I think your family is fairly typical of many... each generation learns a slightly different way forward from the previous. We become more accepting as the decades pass, and that is a good thing. I could give a personal insight here but I have learned - the hard way - not to talk about such things on the open board. Sadly, some posters cannot treat that information with the dignity that it deserves.

Agree.
Good post.

The problem is lack of honesty. Period.

And there it is. Of course whites dont see race or are as sensitive as other races when it comes to racism. Ask yourself, why are people overly sensitive?

If you cant answer that honestly, that is part of the problem.

Also, it doesnt look good when people take clear examples of racism and say "big deal". It is a big deal to the people you offend. Treat others like you want to be treated.

This is a complex issue. One way to simplify it ( make it palatable ) is to deceive oneself into believing that racism is no longer widespread or somehow imagined by others.

I truly miss the old Don Rickles days/Richard Pryor days/Archie Bunker days.

You could poke fun at one another. Or have a brain fart and say something stupid without being accused of being racist.

Too bad that race has been used as a constant political weapon by Dems and the media. I think it's made everyone too thin skinned.

It's sad that we're at this point when the top job in the land is held by a man named Barak Hussein Obama, top paid talk show host on tv is Oprah Winfrey, and up until a year ago the top paid American athlete was Tiger Woods.

And everyone still acting like no progress has been made in all of our lives and how we're not able to embrace what we all have now compared to just 100 years ago.

Quite stunning. And a pity.

• Banned
This is a complex issue. One way to simplify it ( make it palatable ) is to deceive oneself into believing that racism is no longer widespread or somehow imagined by others.

Oh it exists to be sure. I however think that it is so overused as a term that its no longer taboo to use such terms as "my nigga" or other similar terms. Terms and phrases are now widely used that have no place in the American dialogue.

When everything is filtered through the "what if he was really being racist" filter, the things that truly are become less meaningful.

We don't live in the 50's anymore but many act like it when it comes to this subject. It will be hard to move away from when its used to browbeat people all the time.

Last edited:

Only a fool would say that racism doesn't exist. White on Black. Black on white. White on Hispanic. Hispanic on Sikhs. The list could be endless.

I had great Vietnamese friends in Toronto who thought Indians were the scum of the earth. Koreans hating Japanese from WWII atrocities.

Of course it exists.

But it shouldn't be trivialized. There's where we run the danger of becoming immune to the real evils of racism.

There's a thread on the board about Newt putting Juan Williams "in his place" and having it interpreted as racist.

I put up links to "Obama putting Clinton in her place". Democratic Underground with a story on an actress "Putting Palin in her place" and a link to Daily Kos with a blazing headline "Gary Trudeau puts Palin in her place".

The thread is bogus. But it exists when it shouldn't over a trivial phrase that is used a million times a day.

Last edited:
Our board is a prime example of why race relations are so disfunctional
Hardly.

It was The DICK; Armey that gave Teabaggers permission to be themselves....

racist-obama-sign-3.jpg

obama-half-breed-muslin.jpg

tea-party-racist-signs-07-white-slavery.jpg

TEA+PARTY+SIGN+MONKEY+SEE.jpg

The problem is lack of honesty. Period.

Actually, no. That's just one of many many many many problems.

I think the biggest is Pride. People don't want to learn and discuss. They want to show someone else they are smarter, more powerful, and "better" than the opposition. They care more about "winning" than being correct. and when the are correct, they are often have no idea why, nor do they care.

Lack of honesty is a symptom of the pride.

You folks are not ready for the conversation. Maybe your kids will be. Hope so.

You must really have a special gift to be able to judge someone else's heart in such a manner.

I have your words. ( your mind )...and the words of Tiny Dancer. The discussion requires a deeper understanding. Wondering whether or not saying "my nigga" gets you a punch in the nose....or discussing how fucking TV characters poked fun at each other as "the good old days" is evidence that you do not have that understanding.

Last edited:
I truly miss the old Don Rickles days/Richard Pryor days/Archie Bunker days.

You could poke fun at one another. Or have a brain fart and say something stupid without being accused of being racist.

Too bad that race has been used as a constant political weapon by Dems and the media. I think it's made everyone too thin skinned.

It's sad that we're at this point when the top job in the land is held by a man named Barak Hussein Obama, top paid talk show host on tv is Oprah Winfrey, and up until a year ago the top paid American athlete was Tiger Woods.

And everyone still acting like no progress has been made in all of our lives and how we're not able to embrace what we all have now compared to just 100 years ago.

Quite stunning. And a pity.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d8FTPv955I]All in the Family / Archie Bunker's Place Opening Credits - YouTube[/ame]

I don't care about race relations. America was born of racism and will die of racism. The only unknown is when.

Forum List

Back