Ounces DO NOT Equal Cups

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
So I had leftover buttermilk (from the red velvet cupcakes I made) that I wanted to use up. Searched around and found Alton Brown's Buttermilk Pound Cake recipe. Looked easy, looked good. Followed the recipe, put the batter into the tube pan and popped it into the oven. About ten minutes in I started smelling the cake. Hmmmm, weird. I opened the oven door and the cake was oozing out from the bottom of the pan all over the bottom of the oven. I pulled it out, put the batter into two loaf pans and finished baking it. Just cut into them . . . ah, no.

The recipe calls for 16 oz. of flour; I converted that to 2 cups. Ah, no. 16 oz (weight) actually equals more like 3 1/2 to 4 cups of flour. The batter was thinner than what I'm used to but I figured that was it was suppose to be. The cake tastes very good, not too sweet, good recipe. But why oh why does Alton only give weight for flour and sugar and not cups as well?? Grrrr. Just wasted nearly a pound of butter plus everything else.

I still have buttermilk left and am tempted to try this recipe again. Should I convert the oz. of flour to cups or bag it and just buy a scale? I've been baking my whole life and should have known better. Damn it, damn it, damn it.

I think he does flour and sugar by weight because it's a more exact method of measuring. 16 oz is 16 oz but depending on how you pack the cup and shake off the excess flour / sugar, a cup might not necessarily be a cup. I would buy a scale. You can get a digital that will do the job for under 20 bucks.

Last edited:
o you poor thing....a lot of alton brown's posted recipes suck.....if you make the cheesecake the way he says...and bake it for one hour.....it will be soup...when you try to plate it....ALWAYS read the reviews with his recipes.....you will see where people have discovered the mistakes....

bakers will always use a scale...

The cake is uber, uber condensed because of the missing cup and a half of flour. Taste is good, texture is not. I would def try this recipe again though --easy recipe and very tasty.

bones, I'm kicking myself because I know better than this. Guess I was having a major brain fart when I was baking.

The cake is uber, uber condensed because of the missing cup and a half of flour. Taste is good, texture is not. I would def try this recipe again though --easy recipe and very tasty.

bones, I'm kicking myself because I know better than this. Guess I was having a major brain fart when I was baking.

i don't mean to kick you when you're down, but you do know they call it pound cake fora reason, right?

i've done the same thing, that's why i know. :redface:

I made some Christmas cookie batter for rolled cookies. I opened the bag of flour that was sitting on the counter.

After workin' it, the dough seemed weird and stringy.

It turns out that I'd used Bread Flour.

Who the fuck would have known that there is more than one kind of flour!!!

i don't mean to kick you when you're down, but you do know they call it pound cake fora reason, right?

I thought it was called pound cake because it's so good you can't nibble it...you have to pound it.

I thought it was called pound cake because it's so good you can't nibble it...you have to pound it.

well, that too.

Forum List

Back