Other than piss off unions, what did Scott Walker do to deserve a recall?

Isn't Walker trying to plug up his budget hole with funds that were awarded to Wisconsin as a resulted of a lawsuit against banks? And isn't that money suppose to go to the people holding mortgages that got screwed?

I mean..that might lead to some disgruntled people. :lol:

Gov. Scott Walker Pockets Money Intended For Wisconsin Foreclosure Victims To Make Up State Budget Shortfall

After successfully stripping Wisconsin state public employees of their collective bargaining rights, working to deny low income residents the right to vote, and attempting to fend off the damaging effects of the burgeoning illegal electioneering scandal that is enveloping his administration and threatens to suck the Governor himself into the vortex, Scott Walker has found a new project worthy of his time and intents.

Walker is directing the State of Wisconsin to keep a large chunk of the money from this week’s national settlement with five of the nation’s largest mortgage lenders —money intended to help compensate those who were victims of the illegal mortgage practices that caused so many to lose their homes and to aid in the rebuilding of stricken neighborhoods—so that the state’s budget gap can be closed and Gov. Walker can head into his recall election able to claim that he has balanced the state budget.
Gov. Scott Walker Pockets Money Intended For Wisconsin Foreclosure Victims To Make Up State Budget Shortfall - Forbes

wow. Out of $140 million, he is directing the $31.6 million coming directly to the state to help close the deficit. 22%. Gee, how horrible. :rolleyes:

Walker, Van Hollen: Chunk of mortgage settlement going to state budget - JSOnline
Walker and Van Hollen said the majority of the settlement amount earmarked to Wisconsin under a $25 billion proposed nationwide agreement announced Thursday still would go to aid consumers in Milwaukee and other communities struggling with the specter of home foreclosure.

But of a $31.6 million payment coming directly to the state government, most of that money - $25.6 million - will go to help close a budget shortfall revealed in newly released state projections. Van Hollen, whose office said he has the legal authority over the money, made the decision in consultation with Walker.

"Just like communities and individuals have been affected, the foreclosure crisis has had an effect on the state of Wisconsin, in terms of unemployment. . . . This will offset that damage done to the state of Wisconsin," Walker said.

"The overwhelming majority of that $140 million is going to go to Milwaukee, is going to be able to help homeowners who are in trouble in Milwaukee, reimbursing homeowners who were foreclosed upon and shouldn't have been, preventing or remediating blight and creating jobs," Van Hollen said.

"A big part of what we're trying to do is make the state whole for what all of its citizens have suffered. Even those who weren't foreclosed upon have suffered in property values, in an economic decline because of some of these practices."

The Wisconsin cut of the proposed settlement includes:

Up to $60 million in benefits from loan term modifications and other direct relief for homeowners.

Approximately $17.2 million in uniform payments of up to $2,000 for eligible Wisconsin borrowers who lost their home to foreclosure from Jan. 1, 2008, through Dec. 31, 2011, and who sustained servicing abuses.

Approximately $31.3 million in refinancing benefits for eligible borrowers who are making payments but owe more than their home is worth.

Payment to the state of approximately $31.6 million that may be used for future law enforcement efforts, additional relief to borrowers, civil penalties, funding of foreclosure relief programs and compensation to the state for its losses from the crisis.
Sounds like Walker is doing exactly what he is supposed to do with that $25.6 million.

Apart from the $25.6 million going to the state budget, the state will allocate some additional settlement money to communities affected by the foreclosure crisis. That includes:

$750,000 to the Milwaukee Equity Investment fund to fight unemployment in the city through investments in businesses there.

$750,000 to a loan guarantee program for Milwaukee businesses.

$1 million for a statewide blighted-neighborhood grant program to help municipalities to demolish homes left vacant because of the crisis. Half of that money comes from the state Department of Financial Institutions to match the other half in settlement money.

In a written statement, Wyman Winston, the executive director of the Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority, said funds directed to WHEDA by Walker and Van Hollen from the settlement would enable it "to spur up to $15 million of business investment in Milwaukee's industrial corridor."

"In addition, WHEDA will use a portion of these funds, combined with settlement funds contributed by the Department of Financial Institutions, to help smaller communities throughout the state improve distressed neighborhoods through demolition and development," Winston said.

The ASSumption by Walker haters that he is using all the money for the budget shortfall, and 'stealing' it from homeowners affected by the situation, is laughable at best, and pure partisan hackery at worst.

And now? The Dems and unions don’t even have an actual opponent for Walker! Additionally, because of the fundraising regulations, he can continue to gather financial support from outside the state until an opponent is officially in the race. Within Wisconsin, in January, he raised over $4.5 million, more than 76% of which were contributions of $50 or less. Talk about support by the people.

The unions and the Dems thought they did a great job in trying to recall Walker. But they forgot the most important thing. They have to actually have an opponent now, and win another election. oots Donors Fuel Walker Fundraising | Scott Walker for Wisconsin Governor[/url]

Just based on those two statements...wouldnt it make more sense to believe that the recall was not engineered by the unions and dems?

oh I get it, this is where the repubs like to play pretend and all logic is tossed out the door.

Last edited:
CC... first, learn to use the QUOTE feature...lol

Second, no, your logic is not sound in that assumption.

If you do not think the Dems and the unions started the recall effort, then who did? Cite your source please. Thanks.

Isn't Walker trying to plug up his budget hole with funds that were awarded to Wisconsin as a resulted of a lawsuit against banks? And isn't that money suppose to go to the people holding mortgages that got screwed?

Gov. Scott Walker Pockets Money Intended For Wisconsin Foreclosure Victims To Make Up State Budget Shortfall

After successfully stripping Wisconsin state public employees of their collective bargaining rights, working to deny low income residents the right to vote, and attempting to fend off the damaging effects of the burgeoning illegal electioneering scandal that is enveloping his administration and threatens to suck the Governor himself into the vortex, Scott Walker has found a new project worthy of his time and intents.

Walker is directing the State of Wisconsin to keep a large chunk of the money from this week’s national settlement with five of the nation’s largest mortgage lenders —money intended to help compensate those who were victims of the illegal mortgage practices that caused so many to lose their homes and to aid in the rebuilding of stricken neighborhoods—so that the state’s budget gap can be closed and Gov. Walker can head into his recall election able to claim that he has balanced the state budget.
Gov. Scott Walker Pockets Money Intended For Wisconsin Foreclosure Victims To Make Up State Budget Shortfall - Forbes

wow. Out of $140 million, he is directing the $31.6 million coming directly to the state to help close the deficit. 22%. Gee, how horrible. :rolleyes:

Walker, Van Hollen: Chunk of mortgage settlement going to state budget - JSOnline

The Wisconsin cut of the proposed settlement includes:

Up to $60 million in benefits from loan term modifications and other direct relief for homeowners.

Approximately $17.2 million in uniform payments of up to $2,000 for eligible Wisconsin borrowers who lost their home to foreclosure from Jan. 1, 2008, through Dec. 31, 2011, and who sustained servicing abuses.

Approximately $31.3 million in refinancing benefits for eligible borrowers who are making payments but owe more than their home is worth.

Payment to the state of approximately $31.6 million that may be used for future law enforcement efforts, additional relief to borrowers, civil penalties, funding of foreclosure relief programs and compensation to the state for its losses from the crisis.
Sounds like Walker is doing exactly what he is supposed to do with that $25.6 million.

Apart from the $25.6 million going to the state budget, the state will allocate some additional settlement money to communities affected by the foreclosure crisis. That includes:

$750,000 to the Milwaukee Equity Investment fund to fight unemployment in the city through investments in businesses there.

$1 million for a statewide blighted-neighborhood grant program to help municipalities to demolish homes left vacant because of the crisis. Half of that money comes from the state Department of Financial Institutions to match the other half in settlement money.

In a written statement, Wyman Winston, the executive director of the Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority, said funds directed to WHEDA by Walker and Van Hollen from the settlement would enable it "to spur up to $15 million of business investment in Milwaukee's industrial corridor."

"In addition, WHEDA will use a portion of these funds, combined with settlement funds contributed by the Department of Financial Institutions, to help smaller communities throughout the state improve distressed neighborhoods through demolition and development," Winston said.

The ASSumption by Walker haters that he is using all the money for the budget shortfall, and 'stealing' it from homeowners affected by the situation, is laughable at best, and pure partisan hackery at worst.

My my..a little to much protest in that post.

You posed a question..and it was answered.

In any case..the dustup over the Unions is quite enough. He's in big trouble..and as he should be. This was not something he said he was going to do. He blindsided just about everyone.

Instead of blaming the unions and dems of having an evil plan that never included running a canidate...doesnt it make more sense that the people WANT Walker recalled?

In any case..the dustup over the Unions is quite enough. He's in big trouble..and as he should be. This was not something he said he was going to do. He blindsided just about everyone.

My my... a poor argument for a recall... 'but he never said he'd do that!' :rolleyes:

Instead of blaming the unions and dems of having an evil plan that never included running a canidate...doesnt it make more sense that the people WANT Walker recalled?

First, I don't think I said 'the unions and Dems plan never included an opponent'. I believe I said they have not as yet chosen one, and it is a mistake.

Second, no. As I pointed out, the number of people who signed the recall petition is approximately the same as the number of people who voted against Walker in the general election. Essentially, the same people who did not want Walker as governor STILL don't, thus the recall. That would mean it's likely that the people who wanted Walker as governor still do, or there would have been more signers on the recall.

EDIT: oh, and I'm not 'blaming' anyone for anything. I am simply stating the facts as they have been continually reported. The Dems and the unions began the recall process. If you disagree, prove me wrong. Cite your source.

Last edited:

First, I don't think I said 'the unions and Dems plan never included an opponent'. I believe I said they have not as yet chosen one, and it is a mistake.

Second, no. As I pointed out, the number of people who signed the recall petition is approximately the same as the number of people who voted against Walker in the general election. Essentially, the same people who did not want Walker as governor STILL don't, thus the recall. That would mean it's likely that the people who wanted Walker as governor still do, or there would have been more signers on the recall.

EDIT: oh, and I'm not 'blaming' anyone for anything. I am simply stating the facts as they have been continually reported. The Dems and the unions began the recall process. If you disagree, prove me wrong. Cite your source.
The question was : "What did he do besides piss off the Unions". The answer is: surround himself with people who are charged with felonies. Now, you will write that isn't to be considered in recalling him. Nonsense; there are too many accused to ignore his poor judgement. Let the voters decide if he should be recalled; and I see no other REPUBLICAN governors with enough signatures to institute a recall. Obviously, many citizens of the state find his "service" bad enough to want him ousted midterm. I dislike RICK SCOTT but am not going to sign a recall Petition.

My my... a poor argument for a recall... 'but he never said he'd do that!' :rolleyes:

Any "poorer" then Gray Davis' recall?

The question was : "What did he do besides piss off the Unions". The answer is: surround himself with people who are charged with felonies. Now, you will write that isn't to be considered in recalling him. Nonsense; there are too many accused to ignore his poor judgement. Let the voters decide if he should be recalled; and I see no other REPUBLICAN governors with enough signatures to institute a recall. Obviously, many citizens of the state find his "service" bad enough to want him ousted midterm. I dislike RICK SCOTT but am not going to sign a recall Petition.

I said no such thing. You're putting words into my mouth.

I said it was not the cause or impetus of the recall, and that the unions collective bargaining rights were the cause/impetus. YOU claimed the staffer issues were the cause of the recall. I have YET to see that listed as the primary cause of the recall in ANY news article on the subject.

Do you have a link showing that was the cause of the recall? No. You have, what you already admitted to... speculation on your part.

I did not follow the Davis recall, so I can't really comment one way or another, It wouldn't be fair.

I did not follow the Davis recall, so I can't really comment one way or another, It wouldn't be fair.
Yes, his anti Union stance is most often in the national news; again, the question was OTHER THAN piss off the unions, what did Scott walker do to deserve a recall? Thus, I listed the OTHER REASONS. I see a lot of media attention in Wisconsin about the numerous felony charges pending. Also, I took Amelia's opinion into account when I softened my words; many people do change their minds and opinions when new facts and opinions are brought before them. I gather you find that unusual.

Yes, his anti Union stance is most often in the national news; again, the question was OTHER THAN piss off the unions, what did Scott walker do to deserve a recall? Thus, I listed the OTHER REASONS. I see a lot of media attention in Wisconsin about the numerous felony charges pending. Also, I took Amelia's opinion into account when I softened my words; many people do change their minds and opinions when new facts and opinions are brought before them. I gather you find that unusual.

As 'other reasons', that is a valid post. However, you did not start out that way. You claimed it was the main reason, and that the unions stuff had nothing to do with it.

And of course you admit the reason for the recall isn't his anti Union activities; it is the charges pending against his closest aides, whom he advised after illegal activities were reported. On TAXPAYER time. So much for accountability. So he hires and advises criminal defendants? Still a stand up guy, to CONs.

You cannot spell conservative without CON inside.

As 'other reasons', that is a valid post. However, you did not start out that way. You claimed it was the main reason, and that the unions stuff had nothing to do with it.

And of course you admit the reason for the recall isn't his anti Union activities; it is the charges pending against his closest aides, whom he advised after illegal activities were reported. On TAXPAYER time. So much for accountability. So he hires and advises criminal defendants? Still a stand up guy, to CONs.

My comment was based on Wisconsin newspapers. In Wisconsin, the multiple felony, and misdemeanor charges are big news.

My comment was based on Wisconsin newspapers. In Wisconsin, the multiple felony, and misdemeanor charges are big news.

And MY point was you claimed it was the primary reason for the recall, when all evidence thus far presented says the union issues were the primary cause.

It might have been 'a' reason, but it was not 'the' reason as you claimed.

And you still have not posted a single source that claims the staffing issues were the primary cause of the recall.

Democrat state representatives abandoned their posts and fled to another state like a bunch of criminals. Teachers fraudulently called in sick to get a day off to riot and all because they didn't like pending legislation. Now they want to recall republicans? The world is upside down to liberals.

The Davis recall was bipartisan...Both remocrats and depublicans came to detest Grayout Davis.

The Walker recall, like the failed Senate recalls that preceded it, is strictly a partisan affair.

Forum List

Back