Other languages on the forum

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by Comrade Johnson, Feb 1, 2018.

1. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53,446
    Who knows? Because people are fucked. That's why. I wish I could speak in another language. For one thing, being bilingual can help you get a better paying job. Bilinguals are in high demand in pretty much every occupation, and employers are willing to pay more for them in most cases. Also, it would be cool. :D I know a tiny bit of Spanish leftover from school and a couple of friends, but not much and they talk way too fast for me to be able to make much sense of anything they might be saying that I would be able to follow along with the conversation! I used to know more Spanish, but I never use it, so I've forgotten a lot about it.

2. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Carolinia Agresticia; the Forest Primeval
    Ratings:
    +46,575
    Aye, I think it really takes immersion. Plus the Spanish you know may be very different from the Spanish you hear ran too fast, even if it weren't too fast. I could go to France again and get along just fine but if I try the same thing in Québec I'll get "why don't we just speak English hm?" It's quite different.

When I was an au pair boy in France there were two boys in the house ages 8 and 15. With the 8-year-old I could converse just fine but the 15-year-old would talk fast and slur his words and use argot, I couldn't follow. So we worked out that he would talk to me in German and I'd respond in French. That worked, partly because it made him slow down.

3. ChrisL

ChrisL Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53,446
    Some of it is the same and some is different, depending on the region I suppose.

4. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,143

???

5. danielpalos

danielpalos Diamond Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,869
    We need better personal translator devices. Solutions, not problems.