Other languages on the forum

Oh, how impressive. I can speak any language with Google translate too! :71:

GT might be OK for navigating through some foreign language from somewhere else but I wouldn't trust it to write something.

Years ago on the younger internets there was AltaVista's Babel Fish. Somebody had the idea to run the lyrics of Isaac Hayes' "Shaft" through it, translate it to Italian, and back to English on the same software.

The result looked like

Who is the dick classified black who is at one with all the chicks?
Tree!
Blessed right.
And we can scavarli.​

("tree" shaft, "blessed" = damn, "scavarli" came from "dig it" which couldn't be translated)

I'm sure there are better sites out there to use. Anyone can claim to be able to speak any languages on the internet and if you aren't familiar with that language, you will never know. Lol. Comprende? :D

GT might be OK for navigating through some foreign language from somewhere else but I wouldn't trust it to write something.

Years ago on the younger internets there was AltaVista's Babel Fish. Somebody had the idea to run the lyrics of Isaac Hayes' "Shaft" through it, translate it to Italian, and back to English on the same software.

The result looked like

Tree!
Blessed right.
And we can scavarli.​

("tree" shaft, "blessed" = damn, "scavarli" came from "dig it" which couldn't be translated)

I'm sure there are better sites out there to use. Anyone can claim to be able to speak any languages on the internet and if you aren't familiar with that language, you will never know. Lol. Comprende? :D

Oh I think anyone who is fluent in that language would know. I've seen what Googly Translate can do. It can't handle idiom very well, let alone genders and various verb conugations. Take an article in Hungarian and slap it in there and you'll prolly get the general idea but it's not in a form you'd want to send to a Hungarian.

I wish I still had access to that old "Shaft" translation -- it was hilarious.

If ever there was a pretentious d-bag magnet thread, this is it.

The result looked like

Tree!
Blessed right.
And we can scavarli.​

Oh I think anyone who is fluent in that language would know. I've seen what Googly Translate can do. It can't handle idiom very well, let alone genders and various verb conugations. Take an article in Hungarian and slap it in there and you'll prolly get the general idea but it's not in a form you'd want to send to a Hungarian.

That's what I said though. IF YOU AREN'T FAMILIAR WITH THAT LANGUAGE, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW. :D Most Americans are not bilingual/trilingual/whatevs.

Of course, I am for freedom of speech. But I am not sure that it should be allowed to write in Russian, for example, on the forum. Usually it's insults or something absolutely moronic. :)

I am ready to remove my signature in Russian, of course, too :)
But then we have this weird MEXICAN illegal alien "I cant immigrate legally or learn English, you need to be bi lingual" polemic pushed by our liberal freinds on the left.

Yo pienso que en California, mucha gente habla Espanol....porque esta lleno de ilegales.

The result looked like

Tree!
Blessed right.
And we can scavarli.​

That's what I said though. IF YOU AREN'T FAMILIAR WITH THAT LANGUAGE, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW. :D Most Americans are not bilingual/trilingual/whatevs.

And what would be the point of posting in some language one's target doesn't know?

You're quite correct that we are hopelessly monolingual (on the whole). And more's the pity. I'll take any opportunity I get to jump to another one. Just last week I did a piano tuning job and we conversed in French. Good time.

When I vagabonded in Europe I remember walking up to the info station in Luxembourg -- the agent was explaining directions to some tourists (in German) and was interrupted by a fat lady asking something in French. She finished explaining to the Germans, answered the lady in French, and attended to me in English all in one breath. I find that so stimulating. And I try to pick up something from every new language I meet.

Besides ---- this is Carnaval weekend. Gonna need that Portuguese.

Last edited:
Of course, I am for freedom of speech. But I am not sure that it should be allowed to write in Russian, for example, on the forum. Usually it's insults or something absolutely moronic. :)

But then we have this weird MEXICAN illegal alien "I cant immigrate legally or learn English, you need to be bi lingual" polemic pushed by our liberal freinds on the left.

Once again I've never heard that particular directive. Perhaps it's buried in that page of the Quran you can't find.

I don't have Spanish. Never was interested in it. I can muddle through reading it from knowing French and Portuguese but wouldn't be able to speak it. :dunno:

The result looked like

Tree!
Blessed right.
And we can scavarli.​

And what would be the point of posting in some language one's target doesn't know?

You're quite correct that we are hopelessly monolingual (on the whole). And more's the pity. I'll take any opportunity I get to jump to another one. Just last week I did a piano tuning job and we conversed in French. Good time.

When I vagabonded in Europe I remember walking up to the info station in Luxembourg -- the agent was explaining directions to some tourists (in German) and was interrupted by a fat lady asking something in French. She finished explaining to the Germans, answered the lady in French, and attended to me in English all in one breath. I find that so stimulating. And I try to pick up something from every new language I meet.

Who knows? Because people are fucked. That's why. I wish I could speak in another language. For one thing, being bilingual can help you get a better paying job. Bilinguals are in high demand in pretty much every occupation, and employers are willing to pay more for them in most cases. Also, it would be cool. :D I know a tiny bit of Spanish leftover from school and a couple of friends, but not much and they talk way too fast for me to be able to make much sense of anything they might be saying that I would be able to follow along with the conversation! I used to know more Spanish, but I never use it, so I've forgotten a lot about it.

The result looked like

Tree!
Blessed right.
And we can scavarli.​

Who knows? Because people are fucked. That's why. I wish I could speak in another language. For one thing, being bilingual can help you get a better paying job. Bilinguals are in high demand in pretty much every occupation, and employers are willing to pay more for them in most cases. Also, it would be cool. :D I know a tiny bit of Spanish leftover from school and a couple of friends, but not much and they talk way too fast for me to be able to make much sense of anything they might be saying that I would be able to follow along with the conversation! I used to know more Spanish, but I never use it, so I've forgotten a lot about it.

Aye, I think it really takes immersion. Plus the Spanish you know may be very different from the Spanish you hear ran too fast, even if it weren't too fast. I could go to France again and get along just fine but if I try the same thing in Québec I'll get "why don't we just speak English hm?" It's quite different.

When I was an au pair boy in France there were two boys in the house ages 8 and 15. With the 8-year-old I could converse just fine but the 15-year-old would talk fast and slur his words and use argot, I couldn't follow. So we worked out that he would talk to me in German and I'd respond in French. That worked, partly because it made him slow down.

Aye, I think it really takes immersion. Plus the Spanish you know may be very different from the Spanish you hear ran too fast, even if it weren't too fast. I could go to France again and get along just fine but if I try the same thing in Québec I'll get "why don't we just speak English hm?" It's quite different.

When I was an au pair boy in France there were two boys in the house ages 8 and 15. With the 8-year-old I could converse just fine but the 15-year-old would talk fast and slur his words and use argot, I couldn't follow. So we worked out that he would talk to me in German and I'd respond in French. That worked, partly because it made him slow down.

Some of it is the same and some is different, depending on the region I suppose.

???

We need better personal translator devices. Solutions, not problems.

New Topics

Forum List

Back