OSU athletic director slams HUGE coach salaries in "AMATEUR" college football

The football program does net millions of dollars for the university. The expansions provide more ticket sales as part of that income. The most recent itemized list I have seen showed revenues of $34 million from ticket sales alone. The last figure I saw for money returned to the UA was almost $10 million returned to the university general fund.

The construction cost spread out over time, plus maintenance, probably exceeds $10million/year. It would be nice to see a brief, full accountability of costs and revenue.

As a public university, the financial information is available.

[

The reason I brought up the Olympics is because of your incredibly ignorant comment showing you think the coaches of amateur athletes are supposed to be amateurs too. They aren't.

And i'm right about that. Coaches should NOT be paid in amateur sports anymore than the athletes should be. I realize that is not how it's done and that needs to change.

The real answer is to end sports programs at colleges. College is for learning not entertainment. No sports and no liberal arts nonsense either. College should teach STEM only. THINK
Fatcats Love Mice

STEM is for suckers. Spending years childishly and slavishly working without pay in college sets them up to be mercilessly exploited by the Low-IQ economic bullies who own and run corporations.

Education is essential in and of itself, STEM is crucial to the nationā€™s future, being a college student is not a job but rather the means to access a career. College students are not going to be paid to willingly gain the skills to benefit themselves and their families in the future. The idea that this makes them ā€œslavesā€ is fucking asinine no matter how many times it is repeated here.

The players who actually do the work and draw the fans are told "sorry kid but since it's an amateur sport we can only give you a $20,000 a year scholarship." Then they pay the coaches 8 million a year!!!

Ohio State AD sounds off on ā€˜ridiculousā€™ salaries paid to Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher

feb 6 2018 Ohio State AD sounds off on ā€˜ridiculousā€™ salaries paid to Nick Saban, Jimbo Fisher

Suffice to say, Gene Smith is not a fan of the most recent spiraling upwards of coaching salaries in college football.

In prying Jimbo Fisher away from Florida State, Texas A&M is signed their new head coach to a 10-year, $75 million contract. In 2017, Nick Saban was paid $11.2 million, $2 million of which was deferred compensation, on a contract that will pay the future Hall of Famer an average of just over $8.1 annually.

Even for a man in charge of one of the most profitable athletic departments in the country, those numbers are unsettling. Or ā€œridiculous,ā€ in the words of Smith
There is certainly a disparity and poor Curtis Enos had to give up his bowl game because some one bought him a suit to where to the heisman show. He can not have a suite but coaches making millions. Seems wrong!

[

The reason I brought up the Olympics is because of your incredibly ignorant comment showing you think the coaches of amateur athletes are supposed to be amateurs too. They aren't.

And i'm right about that. Coaches should NOT be paid in amateur sports anymore than the athletes should be. I realize that is not how it's done and that needs to change.

The real answer is to end sports programs at colleges. College is for learning not entertainment. No sports and no liberal arts nonsense either. College should teach STEM only. THINK
Fatcats Love Mice

STEM is for suckers. Spending years childishly and slavishly working without pay in college sets them up to be mercilessly exploited by the Low-IQ economic bullies who own and run corporations.

Education is essential in and of itself, STEM is crucial to the nationā€™s future, being a college student is not a job but rather the means to access a career. College students are not going to be paid to willingly gain the skills to benefit themselves and their families in the future. The idea that this makes them ā€œslavesā€ is fucking asinine no matter how many times it is repeated here.

[

Fatcats Love Mice

Gotta love capitalism...or indentured servitude...or economic slavery with a dose of pyramid building...primarily wage slavery also...

I agree we need to look at the rules for amateur athletics. But the coaches salaries have nothing to do with those rules. The coach is not an amateur.

If college student's labor is contributing to college revenue they should have choice of payment. Colleges could make it advantageous to sign for tuition as opposed to salary, or vice versa.
Right now, it is easy and cheaper for the universities provide tuition, as tuition is a sunk cost. So they can say "We are waving your $35K/yr tuition in lieu of..."

If college student's labor is contributing to college revenue they should have choice of payment. Colleges could make it advantageous to sign for tuition as opposed to salary, or vice versa.
Right now, it is easy and cheaper for the universities provide tuition, as tuition is a sunk cost. So they can say "We are waving your $35K/yr tuition in lieu of..."

Tuition, books (no small amount), room & board (these athletes eat well), and the chance to become something.

Yeah, I think athletes should be getting some of the money. But nothing huge and make it even across the board.

But that isn't the topic. The topic is someone claiming the coaches salary has something to do with all that. And one moron, the OP, claiming coaches of amateur athletics are also amateurs and should not be paid.

But that isn't the topic. The topic is someone claiming the coaches salary has something to do with all that. And one moron, the OP, claiming coaches of amateur athletics are also amateurs and should not be paid.
Free? haha! yeah right. I am sure they could find someone with an extra 100 hours per week.

Tuition, books (no small amount), room & board (these athletes eat well), and the chance to become something.

Yeah, I think athletes should be getting some of the money. But nothing huge and make it even across the board.

I think that we need look at coaches like professors and the athletes get paid for doing work study at the same wages work study students are paid.

Forum List

Back