Oscars second lowest viewership since Neilson started taking ratings

Ray From Cleveland

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2015
The Academy Awards had their most chaotic conclusion ever on Sunday night, but a relatively small audience was watching it.

The ceremony, broadcast on ABC, drew 32.9 million viewers, the second-lowest total since Nielsen started tracking viewership in 1974.

This is the third straight year of declining viewership for the show, and the ratings hit is a significant one: In the last three years, the Oscars have shed more than 10 million viewers.

The only Oscars broadcast to fare worse was the 2008 show, which had 32 million viewers and aired shortly after a writers’ strike had ended.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/business/media/academy-awards-ratings-viewership-abc.html

Before the mods get on me for creating a post about entertainment in a political forum, I posted this because I do think politics had a play in all this. Here and there, we have read where us right-wingers would boycott this event. Laughed at by the left, are we now seeing the results of this boycott, or are they going to try and spin that it was the snafu AT THE END of the program that is responsible for this historically low viewership rating?

It was predicted well in advance the bashing Trump would take by these celebrity clowns. Yet most of the leftist articles I read are trying to pinpoint the ratings on the screw up for best picture where they read the wrong movie. Does anybody with an ounce of sense believe this for a minute?

I don't.

well ever since Trump beat Hillary by 7.4 Million votes, most Americans are still excited to the extent where they could just care less for movies/actors/snobbs,,,ect.

well ever since Trump beat Hillary by 7.4 Million votes, most Americans are still excited to the extent where they could just care less for movies/actors/snobbs,,,ect.

Care less or just sick of Hollywood and their leftist base to the point people are turning them off?

Left or right, when you take a political stance, you're going to piss off half of your viewers (customers) right from the get go.

Being no one watched the boring oscars last night was proof that Trumps real approval is 65%,,,the other 35% actually believe that up to 25 Million Russians voted in the election,,,,dam those Russians!

I'm going to film next year's Oscar winner on my iPhone. I'm going to call it 'Clock Boy' and it will be video of a Muslim kid taking apart a Radio Shack clock radio. I better start working on my acceptance speech, I can't lose!

In fascist regimes journalism and the arts are the first victims. Hollywood is right to stand against the deplorables.

Trump attacked the arts? When?

Want to stand against us deplorables? Fine with us. Let the Pussy Hats watch your shows. We will find better things to do.

The Trump train is rolling. You either get on, or stay off.

Oscars?

Is that where all these thespians give each other little statues?

IS there anything more possibly boring other than discussions of ballistics?

Everyone knows this was a throw away Oscars to make it look like liberal celebrities are inclusive after getting called out on their racism and segregation last year even though all they did was add a bunch of token Black people (no other minorities really). I haven't watched the Oscars since about 2002 anyway.
So Republicans boycott liberal things just like liberals boycott south Carolina when they pull some shinanigans or hobby lobby.

You should only watch Charleston Heston's movies, go to Dennis Miller stand up, root for Tom Brady and listen to Ted nugent

i dont recall the last time i went to a movie,,,but it was boring,,,,but I cant fathom paying more than two dollars to see any movie in a theater,,,as far as im concerned,,thats all their worth,,,,why should we be the ones paying for the actors 25 Million dollar salaries?

In fascist regimes journalism and the arts are the first victims. Hollywood is right to stand against the deplorables.

Want to stand against us deplorables? Fine with us. Let the Pussy Hats watch your shows. We will find better things to do.

The Trump train's been on damage control since day one. You rubes have no better things to do. That's why you voted Trump... in the hopes he'd save you from your pathetic lives.

2016 Box Office Revenue Hits $11.17B for Another Record Year

Oscars?

Is that where all these thespians give each other little statues?

IS there anything more possibly boring other than discussions of ballistics?

Hardly boring. I learned about this on O'Reilly tonight.

Tehran: Iran's Culture Minister Reza Salehi-Amiri and Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Monday lauded prominent director Asghar Farhadi's best foreign film Oscar win for his movie The Salesman.

"With Farhadi's film The Salesman, the voice of the Iranian culture was heard in the world," state news agency Irna quoted Salehi-Amri as stating.

"Iranian culture is a culture of peace, friendship, convergence and coexistence.

"This message and this award showed that the US President's behaviour is against peace and friendship," Salehi-Amir added in a reference to Donald Trump's controversial ban on citizens of seven Muslim countries.

Salehi-Amir praised the art and cinema community for awarding Farhadi an Oscar at the Los Angeles awards ceremony on Sunday - and his boycotting of the star-studded event.

Iran Hails Asghar Farhadi's Best Foreign Film Oscar Win

So this joker, from the world state of terrorism, is boycotting us??? And he got a round of applause from this leftist audience? Then they are scratching their heads why this boycott is active?

The Academy Awards had their most chaotic conclusion ever on Sunday night, but a relatively small audience was watching it.

The ceremony, broadcast on ABC, drew 32.9 million viewers, the second-lowest total since Nielsen started tracking viewership in 1974.

This is the third straight year of declining viewership for the show, and the ratings hit is a significant one: In the last three years, the Oscars have shed more than 10 million viewers.

The only Oscars broadcast to fare worse was the 2008 show, which had 32 million viewers and aired shortly after a writers’ strike had ended.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/business/media/academy-awards-ratings-viewership-abc.html

Before the mods get on me for creating a post about entertainment in a political forum, I posted this because I do think politics had a play in all this. Here and there, we have read where us right-wingers would boycott this event. Laughed at by the left, are we now seeing the results of this boycott, or are they going to try and spin that it was the snafu AT THE END of the program that is responsible for this historically low viewership rating?

It was predicted well in advance the bashing Trump would take by these celebrity clowns. Yet most of the leftist articles I read are trying to pinpoint the ratings on the screw up for best picture where they read the wrong movie. Does anybody with an ounce of sense believe this for a minute?

I don't.

:lol: You must have rubber arms with that ability to pat yourself on the back. :rofl:

The fact is nothing about broadcast ratings measures any kind of "assent". That's not even possible. Ratings measure attention -- which is neutral. And the one thing---and the only thing --- they mean is a basis upon which to set advertising rates, meaning "we can deliver X number of Y type of people for your advertising".

That's it. The entire length and breadth of what they represent. They mean absolutely nothing unless you're either buying or selling commercials.

You can't "boycott" a national broadcast. You can boycott Rusty's Bait and Tackle Shop in a small town where you know everybody. Doesn't apply here -- you cannot possibly control what hundreds of millions of people choose to do with their TV or radio. Therefore you cannot possibly reach a conclusion about why ratings on a given program dipped.

As for the ratings report --- good. Let 'em fade. I've never for the life of me understood why anybody would want to watch somebody else's wankfest in a field they're not even involved in.

Last edited:

The Trump train's been on damage control since day one. You rubes have no better things to do. That's why you voted Trump... in the hopes he'd save you from your pathetic lives.

2016 Box Office Revenue Hits $11.17B for Another Record Year

you're a legend in you're own mind

Forum List

Back