Orthoscopic Surgery

J

janeeng

Ok, I guess I will now announce my surgery - I am having Orthoscopic surgery on October 26th of the left knee. I know Jim is going through something more than what I am dealing with, though both surgery.

Has anyone had this done? I hear most Doctors require crutches after this, but my Doctor I think isn't doing this. Just curious to know if anyone had this done, and how long did it take them to recover.

I have, I have! LOL! I had surgery on my left knee also. I don't think I could help you though, I was on crutches 3 months before the surgery and 3 months after. I had completely ripped through my right and left miniscus and tore my ACL. I have pictures somewhere around here of inside my knee during the surgery, eww! LOL!!
I did wake up during surgery, I so remember that. I couldn't move my leg and it scared me and I looked up and the doctor told me that they weren't finished to just go back to sleep so I went back to sleep, LOL!
I'll keep you in my Prayers, sweetie! But you'll be fine! :beer:

UsaPride said:
I have, I have! LOL! I had surgery on my left knee also. I don't think I could help you though, I was on crutches 3 months before the surgery and 3 months after. I had completely ripped through my right and left miniscus and tore my ACL. I have pictures somewhere around here of inside my knee during the surgery, eww! LOL!!
I did wake up during surgery, I so remember that. I couldn't move my leg and it scared me and I looked up and the doctor told me that they weren't finished to just go back to sleep so I went back to sleep, LOL!
I'll keep you in my Prayers, sweetie! But you'll be fine! :beer:

Gee Pride, even this in common! hahahhaha! scary thing! I ripped the miniscus and have fluid behind the knee. I tried since last December to do therapy on it - the ultrasound deal. Worked for a while, but seemed senseless after a while being this couldn't be done forever. The admissions office were ordering crutches, but I don't think the Doctor is going to let me use them, he wants you to immediately use the knee. Should be fun trying to get from the car to the house.

janeeng said:
Gee Pride, even this in common! hahahhaha! scary thing!
We're really twins seperated at birth, LOL!!
I ripped the miniscus and have fluid behind the knee. I tried since last December to do therapy on it - the ultrasound deal. Worked for a while, but seemed senseless after a while being this couldn't be done forever. The admissions office were ordering crutches, but I don't think the Doctor is going to let me use them, he wants you to immediately use the knee. Should be fun trying to get from the car to the house.
I had fluid building up too. Oh, terrible pain, the whole thing!! They never had me do therapy before the surgery, had to wait forever to get a doctor. After the surgery, he didn't want me to continue using the crutches, but come on, I was on them for 3 months before surgery, I couldn't even stand on that leg because it felt like my knee was bending the wrong way. Then to have him do surgery on it and he wants me to be Healed and walk. He musta thought he was some kind of miracle worker or something, LOL!!
Now, if you tell me you ripped yours dancing too I'm really gonna freak, LOL!! :D

UsaPride said:
We're really twins seperated at birth, LOL!!

Now, if you tell me you ripped yours dancing too I'm really gonna freak, LOL!! :D

HAHAHAHA! I should lie and say yeah, freak ya out, but no. To be honest, I had many falls on it - First fall, a year ago, trying to set up the kids pool, by MYSELF, why my Husband at the time sat there. I got my foot caught in a garden tool and down I went, right on a bunch of rocks!

Last winter was where I did most damage - first, went to my Mom's to shovel for her, I went to door to tell her I was heading out and leaving, fell down the stairs and felt the twist and pain right in that knee. Also got into a car accident on Dec. 20th and managed to hit that knee too! Combination of all of them. I think it would have been more fun dancing though! haha

janeeng said:
HAHAHAHA! I should lie and say yeah, freak ya out, but no. To be honest, I had many falls on it - First fall, a year ago, trying to set up the kids pool, by MYSELF, why my Husband at the time sat there. I got my foot caught in a garden tool and down I went, right on a bunch of rocks!

Last winter was where I did most damage - first, went to my Mom's to shovel for her, I went to door to tell her I was heading out and leaving, fell down the stairs and felt the twist and pain right in that knee. Also got into a car accident on Dec. 20th and managed to hit that knee too! Combination of all of them. I think it would have been more fun dancing though! haha
Damn, reading all that makes my knee hurt, LOL!! Growing up mine always dislocated. Can't remember all the technical terms, LOL, but where my knee caps sit, the holes are not deep enough. Make sense? LOL!
I remember the twist and pain, OUCH!!! Tearing it dancing, well, that was pretty embarassing, LOL! I hit the floor and everyone on the dance floor looked at me like I was drunk, lol! A bouncer had to pick me up and carry me to my car. Then he had to go find my drunk ass mom who was chowing on chicken wings, I will never let her live this down. Especially since she was dancing with me, seen me fall, ran to get her purse and grabbed the damn chicken wings, LOL!! Thank God my brother was there as our designated driver, he drove us straight to the hospital. Damn, that was a bad night, LOL!!
But at least I did it the once and got it over with. That sucks you've been dealing with this so long. After the surgery, actually after the therapy is over, LOL, you will feel so much better! Nothing to worry about except the pain of therapy, LOL!! Kidding! :D

UsaPride said:
Damn, reading all that makes my knee hurt, LOL!! Growing up mine always dislocated. Can't remember all the technical terms, LOL, but where my knee caps sit, the holes are not deep enough. Make sense? LOL!
I remember the twist and pain, OUCH!!! Tearing it dancing, well, that was pretty embarassing, LOL! I hit the floor and everyone on the dance floor looked at me like I was drunk, lol! A bouncer had to pick me up and carry me to my car. Then he had to go find my drunk ass mom who was chowing on chicken wings, I will never let her live this down. Especially since she was dancing with me, seen me fall, ran to get her purse and grabbed the damn chicken wings, LOL!! Thank God my brother was there as our designated driver, he drove us straight to the hospital. Damn, that was a bad night, LOL!!
But at least I did it the once and got it over with. That sucks you've been dealing with this so long. After the surgery, actually after the therapy is over, LOL, you will feel so much better! Nothing to worry about except the pain of therapy, LOL!! Kidding! :D

Hey, can't wait!!! HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!!! back to therapy AGAIN!!!!

UsaPride said:
This will be you soon :dance: LMAO!!
When's the surgery?

The 26th of Ocotber! one week to go! have to have my pre-admissions done this Tuesday, then surgery the following Tuesday! it would be nice to not hear that damn clicking in my knee anymore, or have it lock up - luckily that has only happened a few times.

janeeng said:
The 26th of Ocotber! one week to go! have to have my pre-admissions done this Tuesday, then surgery the following Tuesday! it would be nice to not hear that damn clicking in my knee anymore, or have it lock up - luckily that has only happened a few times.
Are they going to take pictures while during the surgery? Oh that's the coolest, LOL! Gross!!
Well, good luck with it all, and I'll definately keep you in my thoughts and Prayers!! Just to have it not lock up, oh well, it's all worth it!! :D

UsaPride said:
Are they going to take pictures while during the surgery? Oh that's the coolest, LOL! Gross!!
Well, good luck with it all, and I'll definately keep you in my thoughts and Prayers!! Just to have it not lock up, oh well, it's all worth it!! :D

Pictures? hahahah, don't know - that would be a cool one to post here!
:happy2:

Thanks Pride! yeah, worth it not clicking and locking!!!

janeeng said:
Pictures? hahahah, don't know - that would be a cool one to post here!
Hahahaha!! I'll find mine for ya, LOL!! :D Naaaastyyyy!! Yuck! You probably shouldn't see them before surgery, LOL!! Kinda like looking at Jim's pics, don't do it!! LOL!! :D

UsaPride said:
Hahahaha!! I'll find mine for ya, LOL!! :D Naaaastyyyy!! Yuck! You probably shouldn't see them before surgery, LOL!! Kinda like looking at Jim's pics, don't do it!! LOL!! :D

I did it though!
:shocked:
HAHAHA! Will have to ask the doc if he is doing that or not!

janeeng said:
I did it though!
:shocked:
HAHAHA! Will have to ask the doc if he is doing that or not!
If it does, definately gotta post them, LOL!!
I've got two sets of crutches, want one? LOL!! Also have a knee imoblizer (sp?) and a million and two braces. If ya need anything, just let me know! LOL!! That includes and ear to vent to when you wanna bitch about those therapists! LOL!! :D

janeeng said:
Ok, I guess I will now announce my surgery - I am having Orthoscopic surgery on October 26th of the left knee. I know Jim is going through something more than what I am dealing with, though both surgery.

Has anyone had this done? I hear most Doctors require crutches after this, but my Doctor I think isn't doing this. Just curious to know if anyone had this done, and how long did it take them to recover.

My Husband had Orthoscopic surgery done back in 2002. He was in Washington state working up on some scafolding in a power plant for his company at that time. He had been climbing back up when he stepped down on the scaffolding and it shifted, he ended up dislocating his knee and tearing his ACL. That was in October 2002. He had the surgery on New Year's Eve 2002. They had to completly replace his ACL with a cadavar ACL. He was on some serious drugs for about a week, his knee and leg were black and blue for a few weeks after the surgery. He ended up being off work until June of 2003, and in therapy 4 times a week from Jan. to June. His knee to this day is not what it was before the surgery, and I doubt if it ever will be. As for crutches he had them after the accident and for about a couple of weeks after surgery until they got him fitted with a knee brace, that he had to wear for a year after the surgery.

Good Luck with your surgery! It helps if you have a really good Doctor who knows what he is doing, and is not afraid to give you the pain medicine you need.

My husband was very nervous and told his Doctor this. He had, had a previous knee surgery back when he was 20 before I knew him from a motorcycle accident and the Doc who did that one srewed his knee up and then refused to give him any pain medicine. No not the same knee the other one so he know has 2 bad knees.

khafley said:
My Husband had Orthoscopic surgery done back in 2002. He was in Washington state working up on some scafolding in a power plant for his company at that time. He had been climbing back up when he stepped down on the scaffolding and it shifted, he ended up dislocating his knee and tearing his ACL. That was in October 2002. He had the surgery on New Year's Eve 2002. They had to completly replace his ACL with a cadavar ACL. He was on some serious drugs for about a week, his knee and leg were black and blue for a few weeks after the surgery. He ended up being off work until June of 2003, and in therapy 4 times a week from Jan. to June. His knee to this day is not what it was before the surgery, and I doubt if it ever will be. As for crutches he had them after the accident and for about a couple of weeks after surgery until they got him fitted with a knee brace, that he had to wear for a year after the surgery.

Good Luck with your surgery! It helps if you have a really good Doctor who knows what he is doing, and is not afraid to give you the pain medicine you need.

My husband was very nervous and told his Doctor this. He had, had a previous knee surgery back when he was 20 before I knew him from a motorcycle accident and the Doc who did that one srewed his knee up and then refused to give him any pain medicine. No not the same knee the other one so he know has 2 bad knees.

Wow! I feel for him - thanks for the words!
I do have a good doctor! he was referred to in the Hospital as "one of the best" so I am confident in him.

janeeng said:

Most of the people I know have had full knee replacements. Listening to their doctor they did awesomely. Of the couple I know, who had your kind of surgery, they were up & around in no time. Make sure the doc is reputable. If he is, he won't steer you wrong.

Not only is he one of the best (as he operated on me when I broke my leg) - but he is one hot specimen of a man also!!

Forum List

Back