ORNL SuperComputer

In 1979 my son was a sophomore in high school. For his b'day I bought him an Atari 800 with a 12K RAM expansion board....total 48K. I asked him to learn everything in the owner's manual. Within six months he was checking out material from the Oak Ridge public library. His junior and senior years in high school he devoted to the most advanced courses they offered and when he started college at Case in Cleveland, OH was awarded three credits for advanced work already completed. He finished at Case and immediately entered VPI where he earned a masters in systems engineering. Since 1988 he has changed jobs seven times, once a rocket scientists for two years involved in the SDI work and is currently in charge of software architecture for a large contractor in the Atlanta area. That first little computer obviously inspired him.

About making it to 100.......about 80% of folks who live to 100 end up in diapers and dependent upon others. I hope I just go ahead and drop before those years. At 77 I've seen a lot and will settle for that.

I have seen some of that. Then one of my great-grandmothers lived to 103. She finally just fell over working in her garden. That is kind of like I would like to go. In the garden or out hunting rocks.

Medical tech is advancing as fast as computer tech. We are not far from a time that will allow everyone to remain 100% functional and healthy till the day they die (what would kill a 100% healthy person is another subject).

Dont throw in the towel just yet. Within 20 years you guys might be able to live as long a healthy fully functional life as you want to.

Indefinite lifespan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I was born in 1934 the average life expectency for white males was 61. Understand

I have seen some of that. Then one of my great-grandmothers lived to 103. She finally just fell over working in her garden. That is kind of like I would like to go. In the garden or out hunting rocks.

Medical tech is advancing as fast as computer tech. We are not far from a time that will allow everyone to remain 100% functional and healthy till the day they die (what would kill a 100% healthy person is another subject).

Dont throw in the towel just yet. Within 20 years you guys might be able to live as long a healthy fully functional life as you want to.

Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I was born in 1934 the average life expectency for white males was 61. Understand

So you are about 77 now and in another 10 years you will feel better than the average guy did at 50 in the year 2000. You will eventually feel like you are twenty again and be able to look like whetever age you want to.

Just take care of yourself now and you will be around, God willing, to live for quite some time.

To me this is a very exciting time to live, very interesting all the possibilities arising.

So you are about 77 now and in another 10 years you will feel better than the average guy did at 50 in the year 2000. You will eventually feel like you are twenty again and be able to look like whetever age you want to.

Just take care of yourself now and you will be around, God willing, to live for quite some time.

To me this is a very exciting time to live, very interesting all the possibilities arising.

God Willing.......LMAO!!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/scien...fastest-supercomputer-and-the-gop-helped.html

Last year, I started a thread about China having the fastest super computer and how they used game chips to make it. Also, the US Air Force built a super computer from game chips.

They (USMB Right Wingers) wrote page after page of insults and calling me crazy and a liar. Even when I provided link after link showing both supercomputers were indeed, made with game chips. It was actually pretty hilarious. No matter how much proof, once right wingers decide something to be true or not, it is or it isn't. Who cares about those pesky "facts"?

I.B.M. to Build Supercomputer Powered by Video Game Chips - New York Times

http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~bader/cell/SC06_Cell_111606.pdf

Why the world’s biggest supercomputer will use graphics chips (video) | VentureBeat

In 1979 my son was a sophomore in high school. For his b'day I bought him an Atari 800 with a 12K RAM expansion board....total 48K. I asked him to learn everything in the owner's manual. Within six months he was checking out material from the Oak Ridge public library. His junior and senior years in high school he devoted to the most advanced courses they offered and when he started college at Case in Cleveland, OH was awarded three credits for advanced work already completed. He finished at Case and immediately entered VPI where he earned a masters in systems engineering. Since 1988 he has changed jobs seven times, once a rocket scientists for two years involved in the SDI work and is currently in charge of software architecture for a large contractor in the Atlanta area. That first little computer obviously inspired him.

About making it to 100.......about 80% of folks who live to 100 end up in diapers and dependent upon others. I hope I just go ahead and drop before those years. At 77 I've seen a lot and will settle for that.

A good many people that look at future trends have stated that they expect the convergence of Bio-tech and Nano-tech to produce this result around 2030. As to what would kill a healthy person. The Universe. Eventually something would get you. But what fun to have a future where you don't have to constantly be preparing for a time when you are physically, and worse, mentally frail.

One could live at a slower pace, and spend more time developing ones intellect and talents.

Of course, that would present a real problem concerning population. Some real problems as oppertunities present in such a development.

Or, whose God?

The Creator who initiated the flow of time and space does not belong to anyone.

People may have different concepts of Him, but He is still one and the same Creator.

It is impossible for the flow of time to have endured for an infinite number of increments of whatever nature, as the present would have never arrived.

A good many people that look at future trends have stated that they expect the convergence of Bio-tech and Nano-tech to produce this result around 2030.

Looking at past predictions, it seems that goals are hit in about tw thirds the time expected, so I wouldnt be too surprised if we dont hit this capability by 2025 and it available to the common public by 2030.

As to what would kill a healthy person. The Universe. Eventually something would get you.

Given enough time and anything could happen. Boston won another World Series and Texas might win one too.

But what fun to have a future where you don't have to constantly be preparing for a time when you are physically, and worse, mentally frail.

True, and I think it will be a very interesting thing to live through for how ever much time we end up having.

One could live at a slower pace, and spend more time developing ones intellect and talents.

I think the retention of our most experienced engineers, scientists and law makers, etc will also have huge prositive effects that most dont seem to take into account, but might have an acceleration on tech development equivalent to what the internet has had.

Death of our most experienced people is a huge waste of resources for us still here.

Also, this might have the effect of preserving social security if we reform the pay-outs so that delaying retirment gives one a bigger benefit. So if you can keep working it would reward you for continuing to do so. I suspect people will work till they eventually accumulate enough to retire with or without social security in most cases.

Of course, that would present a real problem concerning population. Some real problems as oppertunities present in such a development.

I read a summary of some study that said that if everyone stopped dying from natural causes, the population would double and plateu pretty quickly as accidental death would keep the population fairly constant.

I think that retirement with a healthy body would become boring rather quickly. Instead of retirement, SS might be used for training periods so that one could either catch up with their field of endevour, or launch into a new one.

I am 68 and still working as a millwright. Kind of the 'go to' old man when there are mechanical problems where I work. But the automation and new hydraulic systems have developed well beyond what I understand. Were I to continue in this field, I would need to go back to tech school for at least 2 years.

For most of my life I have worked long hours, 60 a week was pretty much the norm. It has paid off, SS at nearly the max rate. But had I an indefinate lifespan to look forward to, I would not have done that. Instead, I would worked a 40 hour week and used those extra hours for continueing education.

I think each of us, given a future like that, can see where it would make major differances in our choices.

God Willing.......LMAO!!

Why is that funny to you?

I dont think anything happens unless it is Gods Will.

You think!

All religions came from the stone age. As we speak if the south sea islands are included there are more than 4,000 ancient gods being worshipped. If Christianity is broken down into denominations, conventions, sects, cults, sub cults etc. add another 44,000.

P.T. Barnum said, "There's A Sucker Born Every Minute." Religion proves he knew what he was talking about.

If a loving, caring god of the entire universe dropped off the only keys to the kingdom with a bunch of primitives who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat he has one helluva sense of humor.

I think that retirement with a healthy body would become boring rather quickly. Instead of retirement, SS might be used for training periods so that one could either catch up with their field of endevour, or launch into a new one.

I am 68 and still working as a millwright. Kind of the 'go to' old man when there are mechanical problems where I work. But the automation and new hydraulic systems have developed well beyond what I understand. Were I to continue in this field, I would need to go back to tech school for at least 2 years.

For most of my life I have worked long hours, 60 a week was pretty much the norm. It has paid off, SS at nearly the max rate. But had I an indefinate lifespan to look forward to, I would not have done that. Instead, I would worked a 40 hour week and used those extra hours for continueing education.

I think each of us, given a future like that, can see where it would make major differances in our choices.

But on SS you can take up any challenge you want to. Ever have a pet theory that you never had the time to investigate? Or some worthwhile project? You will be able to do them then at your leizure.

But I plan to be able to continnue working so that I can still provide income if necesary and keep my skills relatively fresh.

God Willing.......LMAO!!

You think!

All religions came from the stone age. As we speak if the south sea islands are included there are more than 4,000 ancient gods being worshipped. If Christianity is broken down into denominations, conventions, sects, cults, sub cults etc. add another 44,000.

The Creator is not a 'god' in the polytheistic sense. Polytheistic gods generally are supposedly created in time and space, while the Creator BEGAN time and space.

You are comparing apples to oranges that simply havve the same word in English to designate them. It would be similar to discussing the English Metric system and someone asserting that the human race has always had two feet, so why do the English think they invented it?

P.T. Barnum said, "There's A Sucker Born Every Minute." Religion proves he knew what he was talking about.

That is an unwarranted assertion that amounts to nothing more than your opinion. Seems you had a bad experience somewhere in life, lol.

If a loving, caring god of the entire universe dropped off the only keys to the kingdom with a bunch of primitives who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat he has one helluva sense of humor.

The Creator did nto drop off any keys. He has been, IMO, slowly leading humanity to some nonintuitive conclusions over the span of thousands of years.

One tip that a person doesnt really know what they are saying is when they state the opposing view incorrectly, which you have done.

Do you have to distort the concept of a Creator in order to feel good about rejecting the concept?

You think!

The Creator is not a 'god' in the polytheistic sense. Polytheistic gods generally are supposedly created in time and space, while the Creator BEGAN time and space.

You are comparing apples to oranges that simply havve the same word in English to designate them. It would be similar to discussing the English Metric system and someone asserting that the human race has always had two feet, so why do the English think they invented it?

That is an unwarranted assertion that amounts to nothing more than your opinion. Seems you had a bad experience somewhere in life, lol.

The Creator did nto drop off any keys. He has been, IMO, slowly leading humanity to some nonintuitive conclusions over the span of thousands of years.

One tip that a person doesnt really know what they are saying is when they state the opposing view incorrectly, which you have done.

Do you have to distort the concept of a Creator in order to feel good about rejecting the concept?

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature. My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God." ~Dr. Albert Einstein~

Put me on his team

You think!

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature. My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God." ~Dr. Albert Einstein~

Put me on his team

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility.

God's purposes are His own, not ours, but that simply means that we should not try to guide our concepts of Him purely through our own ability to reason, no?

That God does things that we do not understand afforms in my mind that He is not some human fantasy.

Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism.

The atoms of our body have survived supernovas, so why cant there be a trans-dimensional object that holds our consciousness that survives the decomposition of our physical body? The more we learn about the nature of our universe at the quantum level, the more we realize it is utterly different than what scientists thought a century ago.

There is plenty of room in the multi-verse for both a soul and a realm where they will abide for alleternity. Science cannot prove it wrong and with each passing year leaves open still more possibilities about another dimension that perhaps we think of as the 'spiritual realm'.

It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature.

Well, people have been navel-gazing for probaly hundreds of thousands of years. Many gain alot out of it, many do not. YMMV.

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God." ~Dr. Albert Einstein~

Put me on his team

The laws of the universe are the human effort at the conceptualization of the Mind of the Creator.

I find it shows Him to be more astonishing with each new thing we learn about the universe He made.

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility.

God's purposes are His own, not ours, but that simply means that we should not try to guide our concepts of Him purely through our own ability to reason, no?

That God does things that we do not understand afforms in my mind that He is not some human fantasy.

Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism.

The atoms of our body have survived supernovas, so why cant there be a trans-dimensional object that holds our consciousness that survives the decomposition of our physical body? The more we learn about the nature of our universe at the quantum level, the more we realize it is utterly different than what scientists thought a century ago.

There is plenty of room in the multi-verse for both a soul and a realm where they will abide for alleternity. Science cannot prove it wrong and with each passing year leaves open still more possibilities about another dimension that perhaps we think of as the 'spiritual realm'.

It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature.

Well, people have been navel-gazing for probaly hundreds of thousands of years. Many gain alot out of it, many do not. YMMV.

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God." ~Dr. Albert Einstein~

Put me on his team

The laws of the universe are the human effort at the conceptualization of the Mind of the Creator.

I find it shows Him to be more astonishing with each new thing we learn about the universe He made.

I knew you would have the right idea and Einstein would just be wingin' it.

I like the way folks who think there is something make up bullschit to support their thoughts. Like I said....over 4,000 ancient gods being worshipped as we speak. That's a real slew of them.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back